Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Best not to ask at all.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

Quote Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
    It's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
    My dad taught me that when I was about 10. Motto of my life since then, often to his chagrin in those early years. ;)

This evening my older son and I did some bootleg riding on the king's land (gated areas the DNR claims the public of the state don't have permission to access). No permission asked or granted. Sometimes that just makes it more interesting anyway. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    My dad taught me that when I was about 10. Motto of my life since then, often to his chagrin in those early years. ;)

This evening my older son and I did some bootleg riding on the king's land (gated areas the DNR claims the public of the state don't have permission to access). No permission asked or granted. Sometimes that just makes it more interesting anyway. Good times.
    Now about the king's deer...
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Now about the king's deer...
    Ha! I don't know nuthin about nuthin.

In all seriousness though, I ride and drive these mountains year around, and see far more deer in or near town and even down in the urban areas than up here in the mountains. Too many predators, and way too much mismanagement of the herds by WDFW through incompetence and chasing liberal agendas (like re-introducing wolves instead of managing the few deer we have left).

So because of that, I do all my deer hunting in Mississippi. Way more deer, and as a landowner down there, things are a little different. We (the family - like an old time Italian family but American southerners instead) set our own rules and manage the herd on our property, and the deer there are bigger and healthier than the surrounding areas so it's pretty successful. A great example of not asking permission, we just do it our way. It's better that way, and it's as it should be.

Which illustrates the point that there's another side to not asking permission - it also requires responsibility. Otherwise we end up no better/different than the common criminal. But doing things my own way, accepting responsibility for those actions but also acting responsibly without needing permission - that is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Which illustrates the point that there's another side to not asking permission - it also requires responsibility. Otherwise we end up no better/different than the common criminal. But doing things my own way, accepting responsibility for those actions but also acting responsibly without needing permission - that is the way.
    Freedom and responsibility are two sides of the same coin. Iím convinced that the fear of responsibility is what drives so many to detest their own freedom.
    Virtute et Armis

Who would you even ask permission from?
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Who would you even ask permission from?
    Some people want permission even when there is no one to ask.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Him: I don't remember saying you could do that!

Me: That's okay. I don't remember asking.
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Freedom and responsibility are two sides of the same coin. I’m convinced that the fear of responsibility is what drives so many to detest their own freedom.
    I believe that is absolutely true. My theory is that many people want permission in a subconscious attempt to avoid taking responsibility for whatever action they're doing.