Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Holster for battle belt

Hello Gentlemen,

I am looking for the best holster to use with a battle belt.
    Currently I use a Kydex custom holster which solely works with friction (and does so quite well).
    It also keeps the gun very close to the body which is an advantage for confinded spaces.

However it sits to high and I am looking for something more robust with retention mechanisms.
    I found the 5.11 thumbdrive is discontinued and nowhere to be found so I am looking at the SAFARILAND 6354DOMS19 which seems to be what most people choose.
    However, Iīve heard rumours about the QLS breaking away rather easily.
    Is there a way to screw the holster directly onto a mid or low ride adapter?

Or are there better options for a robust level 2 holster?
    (I am not planning on switching guns for that purpose anytime soon, so as it is a one-time expense I am looking for the best possible option regardless of price.)

Stay safe and dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Is there a way to screw the holster directly onto a mid or low ride adapter?
    Yes. I run a 6354 and I ditched the quick detach system. Mine is now attached directly to a mid-ride hanger.

Even holsters that are not so adaptable can be modified with a little ingenuity. Don't be afraid to use your heat gun and a drill. You'll likely screw some things up when you are learning, but over time it is better to have the skills that you will acquire from doing your own work.
    Virtute et Armis

Safariland GLS.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I have two options for this application, neither of them attached to the battle belt... I prefer the option of retaining my pistol/holster if I have to remove the battle belt, and/or I can run either option w/ armor or a chest rig.

First is a Blade-Tech WRS drop-leg system using their TMMS mount, level 2, I believe; second is a Blade-Tech drop 'n offset on a Tek-Lok belt attachment w/ a LSH Huron shell.

First option is my default selection to pair w/ the battle belt (proactive); 2nd option is in the truck bag w/ the vest (reactive), but both can serve in either role.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Thanks for the advice and insights.
    I am currently thinking through the options.

Quick question:
    Is the blade-tech drop/offset mount compatible with the safariland holster as well?
    One a side note:
    Iīve seen a few vids/case studies where people failed to draw from the safariland under stress. (Disclaimer: Well, you never know but) I donīt think it can happen to me. Still the retention seems to be "unforgiving" for deviation from the optimal movement regarding tilt or angle.
    Is there a significant chance of locking up when drawing from movement, running or in a hand to hand situation?
    Resp. is the rather simple kydex holster perhaps a better option when it is unlikely to be in some sort of "crowd-situation".

The GLS retention release is the second nuckle of your muddle finger as you grab the butt in a propper shooting grip. It takes any safariland mount. Mine is currently on a drop/offset.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Iīve seen a few vids/case studies where people failed to draw from the safariland under stress. (Disclaimer: Well, you never know but) I donīt think it can happen to me. Still the retention seems to be "unforgiving" for deviation from the optimal movement regarding tilt or angle.
    I only have familiarity with the ALS system, not the GLS. I can't imagine failing to draw the ALS. The retention could be described as "barely enough." For me, that's sufficient, but it's definitely not a rig I would wear on police patrol. It's just enough to keep the gun in place during vigorous movement, but comes free with a very simple thumb swipe.
    Virtute et Armis

Safariland ALS screwed directly to a mid length holster, added a leg strap to the bottom screw to prevent movement
    American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit

I use a safariland 6354DO with the QLS. Its been used quite a bit and been through a handful of classes. Use blue locktite and you wont have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    I use a safariland 6354DO with the QLS. Its been used quite a bit and been through a handful of classes. Use blue locktite and you wont have any problems.
    Thank you all for the info.

The problem with the QLS is oftentimes not caused by the screws but rather the polymer.
    Since I donīt know if it breaches the rules, I donīt repost it, but Craig Douglas had a short article and picture about a failing QLS in one of his Courses.
    Elsewhere I heard unconfirmed info about the breaking point being a mere 120 pounds (which any average part-time thug could muster).

Currently I am still considering mounting the holster directly to an adapter plate (Bladetech mid-ride) or keep using the kydex holster.
    Last edited by That Guy; 09-06-2022 at 09:46 AM.