Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vz 58

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I hear you, reason I stepped it up... I’m not going to lie, it took some convincing. I really like aks still, but they have serious limitations....
    I have three AKs left and havent shot any of them in the last 5 years
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Looking back from what we have available now, accuracy/range expectations of the AK era were almost comical.

I tend to travel with some sort of shorty AR, whether it's 5.56, 300 Blk, or one of the Grendel variants. A few weekends ago it was a scoped 12.5" Grendel, camping way back up in the mountains. There was a ground squirrel in a boulder pile a bit over 200 yards away, and a single shot from the Grendel nailed it. We're talking about an animal thinner than a soda can, and barely taller.

Making a shot like that with an AK or VZ58 would be a hail mary at best, but a decent AR can do it fairly consistently. Doesn't have to be a $3K rifle either, just something put together well and tuned right with a decent barrel and good ammo. Times change and these days I can't think of any reason to focus on any sort of AK-type platform, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I have three AKs left and havent shot any of them in the last 5 years
    I’m keeping mine locked up in the gulag. If I ever have to let them out, they will be pure very angry commie eaters....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    You know...the 7.62x39 round could be very accurate...but not with Wolf or any surplus Russian ammo. I was making amazing shots with imported Lapua and with a batch of experiemental ammo Peter Pi of Corbon made for me. In class with a shorty Suchka I was making head shots on steel at 200 yards.
    Yep… and then Lapua discontinued production of 7.62x39, which pretty much ended the last hope for accuracy from that platform.
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

I still kinda want an AK pistol with a folding brace for CQB, but with a 10.5" AR10 Hyena, it's redundant and low on the list.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I still kinda want an AK pistol with a folding brace for CQB, but with a 10.5" AR10 Hyena, it's redundant and low on the list.
    The dreco, get one bro.... they work extremely well for head shots at 100 yards with crooked irons....

Another thing, I like 7.62x39 to shoot through stuff, the 5.45 is cool is you can get 7n6 or hornaday. 7n6 you shoot them in the leg it will come out their face....

lol....
    Last edited by chad newton; 08-25-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    Yep… and then Lapua discontinued production of 7.62x39, which pretty much ended the last hope for accuracy from that platform.
    Federal American Eagle has (had?) a load that had amazing SD and ES, as did Barnaul believe it or not. The AK Operators Union YouTube guy did an extensive ammo test using the MagnetoSpeed Chrono, to include Lapua ammo, the 2 already mentioned, as well as everything else you can think of. As I recall the top three were Lapua, Federal AE, and Barnaul.

Easily met and sometimes surpassed AR general ammo accuracy, and even approached quality match ammo. But as has already been articulated, the majority of AK folks have no desire for quality ammo and so the demand simply isn't there for the manufacturers to make it.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine