Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PTR

Default PTR

I still have a PTR in stock config. I was wondering if it made sense to add a scope or keep it as a stock battle rifle?
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

Lpvo makes perfect sense. Did your come with a welded rail?

They are good, they are a true battle rifle.... I have a guy that can cut barrels down and weld rails or anything else you need... He dose some good shit....
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 08-22-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by RedLeg0811 View Post
    I still have a PTR in stock config. I was wondering if it made sense to add a scope or keep it as a stock battle rifle?
    No reason not to. I still kinda want one. Welded or HK claw mounts work just fine and they're pretty well supported by after market.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    No reason not to. I still kinda want one. Welded or HK claw mounts work just fine and they're pretty well supported by after market.
    I think H&K mags are still plentiful and cheap....

Run some match through it with a scope of some sort and group it. See what it shoots clean and go from there. They can be really good shooters, I think the only delema before is getting ptr to put out stuff that all works with no problems. The ones I have been around are unbelievable shooters with a ptr barrel. Honestly, they are made for battle, they can run dirty. Fluted chamber is hard on brass but I was still able to full length size them and shoot out of other stuff. To me they are one of the better ones, you just have to get over there h&k function of bolt handle, once your over it they are good.

C4AFD431-C38C-453C-82BF-8076E1031331.jpegC658AA30-9705-4E0C-A067-E762B76E8874.jpeg

7BD1FF16-B3EF-4B29-8764-4E9F68E79174.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 08-22-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Iíve got a PTR GI model I bought through a group buy about 8 years ago. Canít get it to zero for shit. Iím pretty sure the problem is either a badly welded rear sight, or a bent barrel. I have a second one bought secondhand from about ten years ago that is an absolute tack driver with irons. Kicks like a mule, but thereís just something about this platform that says ďf*** everything that directionĒ that I love. Good system, if a bit dated, and if I could get my GI model dialed in it would be my bush rifle. Theyíll shoot as accurate as an AR and as dirty as an AK, if you can get used to large controls and donít mind humping at 10lb rifle.

Iíd love to get the GI figured out and mount an LVPO on it for DMR-type work with a rifle you can still raid with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

Quote Originally Posted by patriot3386 View Post
    I¬íve got a PTR GI model I bought through a group buy about 8 years ago. Can¬ít get it to zero for shit. I¬ím pretty sure the problem is either a badly welded rear sight, or a bent barrel. I have a second one bought secondhand from about ten years ago that is an absolute tack driver with irons. Kicks like a mule, but there¬ís just something about this platform that says ¬ďf*** everything that direction¬Ē that I love. Good system, if a bit dated, and if I could get my GI model dialed in it would be my bush rifle. They¬íll shoot as accurate as an AR and as dirty as an AK, if you can get used to large controls and don¬ít mind humping at 10lb rifle.

I’d love to get the GI figured out and mount an LVPO on it for DMR-type work with a rifle you can still raid with.

Look up Mark Graham in az, he can dial you in. He used to be on here but he’s gone now....

¬ďArizona response systems¬Ē. Give him a call...
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 08-22-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Dude, Chad. If you have an additional thought just edit your previous comment to complete your thought. Merging groups of 5 word posts into one post is becoming a full time job.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Dude, Chad. If you have an additional thought just edit your previous comment to complete your thought. Merging groups of 5 word posts into one post is becoming a full time job.
    10-4 amigo...

Quote Originally Posted by patriot3386 View Post
    I’ve got a PTR GI model I bought through a group buy about 8 years ago. Can’t get it to zero for shit. I’m pretty sure the problem is either a badly welded rear sight, or a bent barrel. I have a second one bought secondhand from about ten years ago that is an absolute tack driver with irons. Kicks like a mule, but there’s just something about this platform that says “f*** everything that direction” that I love. Good system, if a bit dated, and if I could get my GI model dialed in it would be my bush rifle. They’ll shoot as accurate as an AR and as dirty as an AK, if you can get used to large controls and don’t mind humping at 10lb rifle.

I’d love to get the GI figured out and mount an LVPO on it for DMR-type work with a rifle you can still raid with.

Mine wouldn't shoot for crap with 150gr ammo (really 145-150gr, both mil surp ball and quality handloads with match bullets); the barrel & receiver harmonics just didn't like it. But with 165/168gr loads it went from minute-of-paper-plate to ~1.5 moa and ran really well. It might be worth trying that with yours if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLeg0811 View Post
    Hey bud, I know you tried mine with a scope, and we welded my rail on at your house and could do it again (but better) if you want. But in hindsight, I'd leave that one with irons or at most a red dot, and use the AR platform for more precision applications. I'd expect your PTR to be as similar to mine as two could be, since we got them at the same time (from SI) and they were made in the same production run - while mine shot reasonably well with 165gr ammo it still wasn't a tack driver or a long range gun, and IMO really was at it's best as a close-mid range "battle rifle"*. It balanced way better without the scope, the cheek weld was almost non-existent for scope use, and trigger improvements are possible but never going to be as good as a mediocre AR trigger. It's a great rifle for the role it's intended, but kind of a square peg in a round hole when trying to force it into precision rifle use.

With that said, a decent red dot sight, co-witnessed with your irons if possible, could definitely improve things a bit. I can look into that with you if you want; it might be worth welding on a rail just for that, but we may be able to do something different and lower/better as well.

That reminds me though - I do have a weld-on shell deflector for you if you want it.

I say "battle rifle" in parentheses because it seems like such a corny wanna-be term for a privately owned civilian rifle.