Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Radios and coms

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Exiled in Texas
    Posts
    8,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Correct it or I'll kill it.
    Please lean towards correction rather than killing. I can weed through the chaff. When you know as little as I do about this subject, everything helps. Even the discussion of rules has some utility--when it comes from someone who has knowledge of actual enforcement practices. The thread can be pruned to turn it back toward selecting proper gear and how to use it.
    Virtute et Armis

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southwestern Missouri
    Posts
    155
    I live on 145 acres of farm land and wanted a communications solution for the family that would:

    1. Be easy to use for daily on farm communications
    2. Cover the entire farm
    3. Would work with hearing protection
    4. Be usable if we needed to communicate in an emergency, dealing with trespassers, dealing with predators, or if a wild mob of liberals decided to make themselves available for target practice.

    I settled on these GMRS radios since they are a little more durable then the radios available in retail stores:

    https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-905g.html

    and these hearing protections muffs with GMRS radio add-ons:

    https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Elect...s%2C266&sr=8-6

    I programmed them to use a GMRS frequency that does not get any use in my area with a DCS code.

    I also have a base station GMRS radio in the house with an antenna at about 25 feet high.

    With this setup we can communicate all over the farm and it keeps everyone familiar with how the radios operate in case of an emergency.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,018
    That's a solid setup for your situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal1 View Post
    I live on 145 acres of farm land and wanted a communications solution for the family that would:

    1. Be easy to use for daily on farm communications
    2. Cover the entire farm
    3. Would work with hearing protection
    4. Be usable if we needed to communicate in an emergency, dealing with trespassers, dealing with predators, or if a wild mob of liberals decided to make themselves available for target practice.

    I settled on these GMRS radios since they are a little more durable then the radios available in retail stores:

    https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-905g.html

    and these hearing protections muffs with GMRS radio add-ons:

    https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Elect...s%2C266&sr=8-6

    I programmed them to use a GMRS frequency that does not get any use in my area with a DCS code.

    I also have a base station GMRS radio in the house with an antenna at about 25 feet high.

    With this setup we can communicate all over the farm and it keeps everyone familiar with how the radios operate in case of an emergency.
    There comes a time in every man’s life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. —Winston Churchill

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    906
    6 watt portable marine radios are relatively inexpensive, readily available, & waterproof...just sayin.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Third Coast
    Posts
    4,887
    NOT an expert, but GMRS radios ar coming into their own i. the 4x4 community. the “license “ is easy to get if youre into that ,and midland makes soem pretty good off the shelf higher wattage options od handheld and vehicle use. Prices arent baeofang bit are far short price wise of motorola dual band setups.

    at least to me. gmrs has far more usability than frs systems, but has far more oitput wattage from the factory and doesnt require the rocket science technical knowhow of ham systems. nice middleground for a knuckldragger loke me

    damn I gotta get the settings on this new ipads keyboard worked out, Im writing like a fuckin idiot
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

    I'm not in the business of Losing

    A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Exiled in Texas
    Posts
    8,049
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    damn I gotta get the settings on this new ipads keyboard worked out, Im writing like a fuckin idiot
    Okay, sir. Just stand with your feet together, hands at your sides. I want you to hold your head still and—with your eyes only—follow the tip of my finger.
    Virtute et Armis

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Third Coast
    Posts
    4,887
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Okay, sir. Just stand with your feet together, hands at your sides. I want you to hold your head still and—with your eyes only—follow the tip of my finger.
    Or 80s era east texas field sobriety . “ Ok the last test is to bend down, place your hands on your knees and spell “ RUN” three times, loudly and fast.

    somewhere , a family member that lives in that area and was in LE, has a beta video from the dash cam ( cutting edge in that era) of this test and the poor drunk that got tricked into it. Upside, he got public intoxication instead of Dwi. down side, a bunch of cops got to see this poor schmo bending over and saying “ are you in”. three times.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

    I'm not in the business of Losing

    A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal1 View Post
    I live on 145 acres of farm land and wanted a communications solution for the family that would:

    1. Be easy to use for daily on farm communications
    2. Cover the entire farm
    3. Would work with hearing protection
    4. Be usable if we needed to communicate in an emergency, dealing with trespassers, dealing with predators, or if a wild mob of liberals decided to make themselves available for target practice.

    I settled on these GMRS radios since they are a little more durable then the radios available in retail stores:

    https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-905g.html

    and these hearing protections muffs with GMRS radio add-ons:

    https://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Elect...s%2C266&sr=8-6

    I programmed them to use a GMRS frequency that does not get any use in my area with a DCS code.

    I also have a base station GMRS radio in the house with an antenna at about 25 feet high.

    With this setup we can communicate all over the farm and it keeps everyone familiar with how the radios operate in case of an emergency.

    Dorkface

    do you think this can be made to work with the setups we have?
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    9,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasher View Post
    Dorkface

    do you think this can be made to work with the setups we have?
    Those are stand alone radios so they will work with anything else on the same frequency; Be it Baofengs, Motorola walkies or whatever.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

    Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist


    CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

    TWOTU since May 2015

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,984
    Got ya.

    i was looking for a cable and pin interface.

    makes sense now.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •