Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Future of Beef Prices

The drought here in Texas has gotten bad enough that lots of ranchers are selling off cattle to be butchered that would usually still be working and producing calves for several more years. The price of hay has almost doubled in a year, so importing food for the animals isnít an option. This is going to radically lower the price of beef in the short term, since there will be a glut of beef. But that will be followed by a spike in beef prices the following year.

If you have a few acres and have wondered about raising a few head of cattle, now might be the time. You can buy cows cheap right now. For a micro-ranch, the price of hay isnít as big a deal. And when beef prices skyrocket in three years, youíll have steaks still on the hoof.

Anyway. Thatís some local Texas intel that might help you plan for the future.
    Virtute et Armis

When they go to rebuild their herds they won't be selling as many in the next few years leading to higher prices too.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

There are going to be a lot of shortages come this fall due to war in Ukraine (affecting wheat and fertilizer) and due to weather in the US. Fertilizer shortages pushed a lot of farmers to move away from corn this year. I would get cows if I had land, but for now am just stocking up on what I can.

My cows are fat & happy. So are my pigs & chickens. My garden is doing fine too.

Havenít had much rain so weíre watering more than normal, but not going broke over it.

Some folks are just throwed off. I have 25 acres of pasture that can be cut for hay. It is dry & ready to go. I have offered it up to 3 different folks to cut& bale it for free because they said theyís desperate & shit. Still sitting there untouched.

I guess Iíll put the cows on it in a couple weeks & let them have at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Sounds like they're not desperate enough. And now is the time.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

I have a heifer finishing right now, and an 800lb beef lasts us quite a while... but I'm looking pretty hard at pork, chicken and cabrito for the future.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon_Spaf View Post
    There are going to be a lot of shortages come this fall due to war in Ukraine (affecting wheat and fertilizer) and due to weather in the US. Fertilizer shortages pushed a lot of farmers to move away from corn this year. I would get cows if I had land, but for now am just stocking up on what I can.
    The only shortages seen will be because of the communist motherfucker called Biden and have not a god damned thing to do with anything else on this earth.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And I am not worried. I have three freezers filled with grass fed beef, lots of back country to poach whatever the hell I want, and worse come to worse, there are hippies in Flagstaff. I bet Swamp Thing can cook up some hippy jerky that tastes like pig. Color me

NOT FUCKING WORRIED
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The only shortages seen will be because of the communist motherfucker called Biden and have not a god damned thing to do with anything else on this earth.

Exactly. Him and those handling his strings.

Oh, look! Monkey pox!
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Fertilizer prices have about tripled, glyphosate (Roundup) almost triple, diesel up by about 3, parts for vehicles are hard to get. All of this will have long term effects on the agricultural community to spill over onto the consumer. It already has. Inflation is not at 6 or 7% In the real world it is closer to 30% or more. A 50 pound bag of sugar 3 years ago used to cost $18. It is closer to $32 now. I blame most of this partly on the covid calamity, but mostly on this latest administration of self serving sociopaths. I did not vote them in. GD SOBs. Then the drought on top of that.

We very rarely eat beef anymore. Too expensive. We eat a lot of deer, a few hogs, and I like fried squirrels. Catfish is my favorite fish. From the river. Beef could cost next to nothing and we would still eat the same venue. But that's our lifestyle. And guns/freedom are a big part of it. They are the tools.

But I have to say this: We are still a prosperous nation compared to other places in the world.
    Last edited by Redbug; 08-06-2022 at 08:09 AM.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"