Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    We should be done with our place in the mountains late November. I'm sitting in the coffee shop down there now checking up on it and meeting with our builder, who we have become quite close with. Last night I asked him to line up a half cow for immediately following our move down and was told no issue, done deal. His uncle owns the entire holla ( small valley) and I asked if I could toss a couple of youngins in with his and he just laughed. " Wouldn't it just be easier to just give him some silver for one of his calves and just tag it"?

Yep we sold off a few. Will probably sell off a few more. Oh well. We know how to deal with drought. We also know how to deal with communists. Gotta get back at it.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

And remember that the rancher/farmer is NOT getting the big money you pay in the store. That usually goes to the middle man- between the farm and the store! They are making killing
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    And remember that the rancher/farmer is NOT getting the big money you pay in the store. That usually goes to the middle man- between the farm and the store! They are making killing
    A lot of truth right here. One of the wealthiest men I know made his fortune as a chicken broker.

Made a ton of cash finding & placing chickens for those big company type restaurants & stores that needed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

But I wonder...what are the ranchers that have depended upon cattle for an industry and income going to do in the next years? Their livelihood is gone and it costs money and time to build up herd numbers again. What other alternatives are there? They have the land but what to do with it to make income? Beef prices have gone up and people will reach a stage where they won't buy beef because of the cost. That's happening already.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

We have been getting our beef locally for years now. Love the people that raise the cattle.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    But I wonder...what are the ranchers that have depended upon cattle for an industry and income going to do in the next years? Their livelihood is gone and it costs money and time to build up herd numbers again. What other alternatives are there? They have the land but what to do with it to make income? Beef prices have gone up and people will reach a stage where they won't buy beef because of the cost. That's happening already.
    Every rancher I know has multiple sources of income.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson