Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Modified how? I expect to have to sharpen a new knife, and occasionally take some rough edges off of the grip, but I’m wondering what more you might do.

Y
    Nice trio. May have to find a Northman too.
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 07-10-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Depends on the blade, but sometimes the modifications are fairly extensive. In that pic I posted:
    I also make two-piece kydex sheaths with a single pull-the-dot strap for these, except for the CRJB which came with one. Sheaths for the others, like a lot of modern knives, were designed around "features" with little thought to the blade itself; they were made from some sort of glass-reinforced plastic that rubbed on the cutting edge, so just drawing or sheathing the blade would dull it. It's stupid and frustrating that so many blades come with sheaths like that now.
    Y
    How about pics of the sheathes you've made for these and others?
    Greek
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    Y
    How about pics of the sheathes you've made for these and others?
    Greek
    Late reply, but here you go.

The little 3.5" Schrade was one of my first successful sheaths of this style (it has more screws than necessary) and the previously pictured Kabar was the latest, so you can see the evolution with small improvements over the years.
    BTW that little Schrade SCHF55 model is discontinued now, but is one of the handiest small fixed blades I've had and it's seen a lot of use. Note the similarity to the bigger Kabar; when you find a style that works... And of course these are both good 1095 high carbon steel, same stuff most files are made from.

I've found that a wider sheath like this is more comfortable for all-day AIWB carry than the more common "taco" style. The wider sheath sits flatter against my torso with reduced hot spots. I like using these chicago screws too, rather than cheaper rivets, because it allows me to take the sheath apart for cleaning if it gets really sandy or muddy inside. (I always clean blood off my blades before re-sheathing if I've been skinning/butchering, but that's a possible need for cleaning too.)

One improvement I've started making for larger blades is a couple different positions for the belt loop; you can see that on the Kabar and Rat-7 sheaths. I've also added a small piece of leather to smooth out that hot spot when I'm crouching or hunched over working on something.

Banana pincher for scale.

I like this holster style because you can carry it in just about any position you want, by repositioning the belt loop as needed or even adding another. But this is the way I prefer to carry a fixed blade; it's accessible with either hand easily, and has the same advantages on the ground as AIWB does for pistols.

Yondering, the banana pincher is really cool. Will it really hold a banana on your belt?

Seriously though, The other sheaths look really good.
    What material are you using to make the loops?
    Last edited by DogDoc; 07-13-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Yondering, the banana pincher is really cool. Will it really hold a banana on your belt?

Seriously though, The other sheaths look really good.
    What material are you using to make the loops?
    Haha I have no idea! I went to look for a banana for scale but the kids had eaten them all (again) and that's all there was.
    I guess I could mount a loop on it and send it to ya, if you really need a banana sheath?

I was using Bladetech belt loops for a while (like the little brown sheath above), same ones that came on my Bladetech nano holsters. But that supply seems to have dried up, so the newer sheaths in that pic above have loops I found on Amazon. Some sort of rubber coated nylon strap, it seems to wear well enough so far (I'm 2-3 years in on the first set I tried). I'd rather have the good Bladetech loops, but these seem to work well enough and are strong. They do have decent pull-the-dot snaps, which is important to me.

To each their own. I’ve tried both knives and both were very cool but I have found nothing I like better than a simple push/punch dagger. I use the “el nino” one from shivworks.

super light weight and conceals very easy and is quick to grab, deploy, and get stabby. It also cuts well if you need to go that route.

Just another option for those looking for a blade…

whatever you chose just get a trainer version for it and get some reps in!