Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Kevin,
    I have a few older RRA rifles, mine are all 1-8. Unless your bbl is marked I wouldnt necessarily assume its 1-9. I have put a ton of 69SMK down range using 223/5.56. My experience is that at distance my bolt guns (in the same caliber) perform better than my gas guns esp. past 600yds. I can also tell you that while you can run 69smk from a 223 out to 1000yds, its very tough to get hits with any consistency when you have even the lightest winds. Ive tried and like the 75 and 77gr bullets from Hornady and Sierra. The reason Ive stuck with the 69SMK is that I can get excellent accuracy without pushing max pressure, and I have been able to stock pile a good amount of these bullets. When shooting targets past 600yds, there are much better calibers to choose from.
    As for the SMK terminal ballistics, they are not intended to be used as hunting or self defense bullets. I know there are plenty of guys that use them to hunt animals and bad guys, however the engineers at Sierra will tell you they are designed as a match bullet, so terminal ballistics often times are lacking compared to a purpose built hunting bullet be it for varmints or big game.

Quote Originally Posted by forensicgun View Post
    Kevin,
    I have a few older RRA rifles, mine are all 1-8. Unless your bbl is marked I wouldnt necessarily assume its 1-9. I have put a ton of 69SMK down range using 223/5.56. My experience is that at distance my bolt guns (in the same caliber) perform better than my gas guns esp. past 600yds. I can also tell you that while you can run 69smk from a 223 out to 1000yds, its very tough to get hits with any consistency when you have even the lightest winds. Ive tried and like the 75 and 77gr bullets from Hornady and Sierra. The reason Ive stuck with the 69SMK is that I can get excellent accuracy without pushing max pressure, and I have been able to stock pile a good amount of these bullets. When shooting targets past 600yds, there are much better calibers to choose from.
    As for the SMK terminal ballistics, they are not intended to be used as hunting or self defense bullets. I know there are plenty of guys that use them to hunt animals and bad guys, however the engineers at Sierra will tell you they are designed as a match bullet, so terminal ballistics often times are lacking compared to a purpose built hunting bullet be it for varmints or big game.
    No markings on barrel. I determined it by fitting a tight patch to a rod, and measuring the twist. Not perfect, but pretty sure it's 1-9. I have a bunch of 75s for my 12.5, so I'll give them a try as well at some point.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalms, 144:1