Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG 938?

Default SIG 938?

I have a buddy needing some cash who wants to sell a 938. I think I could get a Glock 43 or 43x for about the same cash price at a LGS. I’ve not handled a 43, but the SIG looks a little thinner/smaller overall. Any thoughts or comments comparing these two micro-nines? I don’t really “need one”, but the opportunity to snag this got me thinking.

Had one for a little while. I really wanted to like it. But I didn’t and got rid of it.

It looked nice, felt like good quality as you would expect from Sig. It was reliable. But it had a shitty trigger. I am sure it could have been improved. Was not an accurate gun for me.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Also, the 43/43x are much more comfortable guns. Yes the Sig is a little smaller but I would recommend the 43x over it all day.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I had one that I absolutely hated. There are far better options out there. The 43 is just as concealable but far more comfortable to shoot.

small hands, this is a good sized gun. my girlfriend has one, shoots it very nice and accurately and it carries well for her. she has alot of rounds through it, and it's never had any kind of stoppage or issue. All her mags, 7 round and 6 round, have tight springs making loading a chore to max out without a tool.
    Her "full size" carry is a Springfield EMP, and she likes the older Kimber she took from me to have as her house gun, so with her classes she's well versed in the manual of arms. as well as was referenced, we had some polishing and spring swaps on this one, so she runs it lots better than when it was new. but it seems to be a tank of a gun, and we got it for a really good price way before COVID.
    for me (average hands?) i feel the 43/43x/48s are better. seems like my hands want to crowd the safety. plus with barrel/comp/trigger choices it's hard not to go with the Glocks
    “Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
    Steve McQueen

Agreed on all of the above. I don't need or want a pocket 1911. A single action like a 1911 is a holster gun for me ... and if it's a holster gun then it's gonna be a 43x/48 or larger. But that's just me.

I drank the P290RS Kool-Aid recently. What a great gun! While I always have a 340PD on me in addition to anything else I might carry, the P290RS is more comparable to a steel J-frame in pocket, only more manageable and -- for me -- accurate. I wear cargo shorts and trousers most of the time, but even in my Under Armour shorts pocket the 290 is okie dokie around the house.

Found several new mags at reasonable prices and have put about 200 rounds through it so far. The first few mags had some FTFs, which leads me to believe this gun was carried more -- if at all -- than it was shot. Last shooting session had no problems and I managed several cloverleafs at 10-15 yards. For me with a DAO that's pretty good.

At $600+ I paid too much at a LGS -- it came with the laser, which I ditched ... a piece of crap compared to the gun -- but have found several online at Gunbroker and Gunsamerica for under $500. If this goes the way I think it will, I will probably get another in keeping with my Rule of Twos.

Another option for pocket carry -- as has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum -- a P230 or 232 would be nice ... blued, not stainless as the blued has an alloy frame. But those boogers are outrageously priced IMHO. At least around here.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 07-03-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I had only a brief experience with a 938, shooting one that belonged to a friend. My memory is that it had great sights and a fair trigger, but I really hated the thumb safety. The lever was tight, tiny, and awkward, necessitating a very contorted grip in order for me to disengage it. And for context, I have "extra-medium" hands. Someone with bear paws would find it that much more difficult to use.
    Virtute et Armis

During a period when Sig was making a plethora of 1911s, they introduced the 938 (9mm) and smaller 238 (.380), to appeal to their 1911 customers to buy a pocket pistol. While these little pistols look like 1911s, they are not. The trigger is mediocre. The safety lever is so small, it is likely the shooter will drop the pistol while flipping the safety off and on. Pocket carry of a single action only pistol is foolhardy.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

I've carried one as a boot gun for years when I'm on the bike as a backup. It ends up at work with me often.

The trigger was adequate after some work and got better with time. It'll never be a tuned 1911 though. If I could find someone to love on it a little more it would get better still. As said, the safety isn't oversized, but from years with a BPH it doesn't really bother me, although without doubt, I'm faster with my 229.

The thing has always run like a little sewing machine with never an issue. The sights are good and for something so stubby is accurate for what it is.

I had a kydex NPE type setup for it that is on it most times. I'll keep it for the niches it covers for something small, cocked and locked.

Have a P938 Extreme .... It's a good pocket gun with the right holster, I use a Desantis.
    I've never had a issue with mine. The safety isn't bad for someone who's use to 1911 style pistols.
    I'd rather carry a pocket gun with a external safety than one without, that's how you lose your balls
    American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit