Default This is shocking: LASD seems to want to run away from threats to deputies....

I do not think this sort of thing would happen back in the 1970's or 80's. Elected government that is soft on criminals, as we currently see, is to blame. Or, blame the people who elected them for the bad government they selected.

Seems like the solution would be to make life hard for the criminals, but that would mean having a prosecutor that is willing to prosecute those same criminals. Get the criminals off the street and such. Then, the people who complain about increases in crime, want to further defund the police. Elections do have consequences.

It has got to be very difficult for LEOs who want to do the hunting to have their hands tied while the criminals get free rein.

https://redstate.com/levon/2022/07/03/la-county-sheriff-villanueva-says-department-received-a-criminal-threat-against-the-lives-of-our-deputies-n588003?utm_source=rsmorningbriefing&utm_medium=em ail&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=c4489bcb2cdf1efac19cd6859 ab1bdaf

LA County Sheriff Villanueva Says Department Received a 'Criminal Threat Against the Lives of Our Deputies'

"Last night, @EastLALASD
    received a criminal threat against the lives of our deputies. We are taking this seriously and have taken precautions. The threat possibly stems from false statements made during a civilian oversight commission meeting held yesterday."

"
    A few days ago, the West Hollywood City Council voted to cut
    LASD funding for the next two budget years. These city councils defended their decision of defunding the LASD and LAPD, saying their goal was to “put that money in other social services.”"

"When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

I read the post and article and don’t see where or how LASD seems to want to run away from anything. Having just worked with them on a task force they were the most involved and pro-active agency I encountered. I was impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanNobody View Post
    I read the post and article and don’t see where or how LASD seems to want to run away from anything. Having just worked with them on a task force they were the most involved and pro-active agency I encountered. I was impressed.
    Hello JonathanNobody, thank you for your personal knowledge about this situation. I am glad that LASD is pro-active and not running away. It is terrible that their funding seems to be being pulled away.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

I'll play devil's advocate (to a limited degree) on the "defunding the police" proposal. Just as our positions are distorted and exaggerated among the left, so are their positions distorted and exaggerated among us. The notion of "defunding the police" was latched onto by a few lunatics who would indeed have closed and locked the doors. But the original voices within that movement weren't looking to end all police work. What they really wanted was some services in addition to the police, but they know that they won't get endless government services, so their proposal is to carve it out of the police budget.

Consider this scenario: A 30-year-old schizophrenic male (6', 200#) lives at home with his 60-year-old single mother (5'4" 120#). Normally, he is fine. He works seasonally and is frequently unemployed for long stretches, but we really can't have high expectations from a guy with his degree of mental health problems. Every few years, he decides that he's just going to 'be better;' that he can overcome his schizophrenia, and so he stops taking his meds. After a week of no meds, he's paranoid and delusional. He's running around the house with a butcher knife, ensuring that the windows are locked and the blinds are drawn, and scaring the crap out of his mother. She doesn't know what to do. She can't force him to take his meds. She's frightened that he'll hurt her. She doesn't want to call the police, because she worries that they'll show up and shoot her son. But she doesn't have anyone else to call. Eventually, she gets scared enough that she calls 911.

Scenarios like that play out every single day in cities all across the country. Part of me wants to reply that the guy's father should intervene, but we know that the father has been missing since conception. (And it's apparently misogynistic of me to even think that.) I also think, 'Why don't you call some of the guys from your church?' But that's because I'm a bigot who wants to create a theocracy. All of the institutions that would have previously dealt with problems like this have been dismantled or marginalized by the political left for generations, so now the only savior that remains is the police. While it sounds like they are trying to destroy even this last remnant, it is more accurate (for most of them) that they are trying to create a solution that doesn't offend their other progressive values.

That brings us to the "other social services" mentioned. They want the mother above to be able to call someone other than the police. They want her to be able to call a government psychologist, who is also strong, invulnerable to knives, and an expert in jujitsu, who will be able to safely and harmlessly take her son into custody and force him to take his meds. That is their dream. We can recognize the absurdity of this expectation, but they seem to believe it is possible, like a child who thinks it couldn't possibly be that difficult to make cars fly.

Here is where I actually go devil's advocate: I propose that we give them what they want....to a point.

There are an increasing number of mental health cases, particularly in the big cities. Cops hate dealing with these cases and the family members of the crazy people hate for the cops to be the ones dealing with it. Sometimes, the crazies will necessitate police involvement. I don't suggest sending a grad student with a clipboard to deal with a guy who is waving a katana around in the middle of an intersection. But what if these agencies hired a few touchy-feely types and sent them out to do this work. They wouldn't carry guns or wear badges. They would get a polo shirt and a Smart Car. Cops would probably still show up first, but once they verified that the crazy guy isn't going to imminently murder someone they can then leave and let the head-shrinkers take over.

The budget for this will undoubtedly come from the police, which means fewer real cops on the street. And it might fail (terribly). But let's not roll it out everywhere and all at once. Let's try it in Portland or San Francisco and see how it goes. We might actually manage to come up with something marginally useful.

Not every problem is a nail, and therefore you need more tools than just hammers.
    Last edited by LawDog; 07-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.
    Virtute et Armis

Thank you LawDog for your insight. This situation the Libs have developed with the unbuilding of law enforcement and 'the church' and the Balkanization of communities has but America on this course, setting the stage of problems only the government can solve (after all, government created the problems in the first place). Government rolls out 'The Great Reset'.