Default The “Something is better than nothing” mindset

“Something is better than nothing” is a common view. And though it’s a pretty low bar, it is true for a lot of things. Cutting back a little on frivolous spending is better than not monetary discipline at all. Working out a little is better than nothing at all, eating a little less crap is better than making no positive changes to your diet.

But I think in the area of violence it is perhaps not a good thing. Certainly not necessarily.

Some things require more than the bare minimum.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the idea that something is better than nothing…but reality smacks it in the face.

Putting your car keys between your fingers - seems like a viable thing for those with no training. Except they’ll hurt themselves worse than anyone else.

Arming teachers - I’m all for the freedom to do so…but how many teachers would actually be willing and able to effectively perform under pressure? How many teachers have you known who are outstanding examples of excellence? How many have you known who have dedicated their lives to EXCELLING in their chosen profession, let alone in any side project outside of the class room? And of those handful of exemplars, how many actually had teeth? (I don’t worship at the altar of educators as so many do. Yeah, teaching kids can be a pain in the ass and a thankless job…but so what? That was your choice. I respect and admire anyone who has dedicated themselves to excellence in their field…but in my experience and not so humble opinion, this is a small percentage of the profession.)

Other examples abound.

I get it, not everyone can be a “serious” student of violence. Most people do not have the time or inclination, most people look for easy paths to get to the lowest common denominator.

But this is one of those subjects where either you jump in and swim, or just stay out of the frickin pool. Dipping a toe into the water will not save you.

Hope is not a strategy and luck is not something to be counted on.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I agree, same with the officers that just stand at the gates and wait for a miracle.... Not everyone is made for doing what needs to be done and just like all jobs or professions their are those that wait at the fences. If they chose to carry and are willing to do what is right then they would be carrying and training regardless of who allowed them or asked them to....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

If it were me or you or Gabe we would do it regardless of what anyone asked of us.... But I don’t know if it’s for everyone....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

I think you're overlooking the mental aspect. For example, it's a pretty conclusive given that no woman is going to win an unarmed fight with a male that is in the game. However, the confidence and awareness that comes with such studies allows them to be de-selected from the outset.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    However, the confidence and awareness that comes with such studies allows them to be de-selected from the outset.
    I think the key is in “such studies”…as in how much and how long. A weekend seminar in woman’s self defense isn’t going to do it. Those who study/practice enough can develop confidence that does allow for deselection.

But there’s a big difference between confidence earned and false confidence born of dipping a toe in the water and assuming a little knowledge is the same as any real ability.

I have met too many men and women who have only dipped a toe and think they have what they need. This is particularly a problem for the women who are by and large taught to fight men like other men.

I think you and I agree at a high level, but I am more cynical about how much it takes to get there.

To be fair, there are a lot of paper predators out there and it’s a low bar to scare them off.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I believe in overkill. If im gonna do it, im gonna bury my foot knee deep in someones ass.

I have to admit, I have really only dipped my toes in. Is this where I want to be be? No. I myself have no delusions that what I know would take me very far.

I do agree with you Brent.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

And the counter

NOTHING EXCEEDS LIKE EXCESS
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Nothing SUCCEEDS like excess....