Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kydex Holster For A Large Revolver

I’ve had no luck finding a holster that is comfortable for concealed woods carry of my 3 inch S&W Model 29. I know that “concealed” and “woods carry” is anathema to many of you, but I’m in NY so it’s what I’m looking for.

My go-to for now is off body carry in a Maxpedition Versipack, but that’s less than ideal. I purchased a Hill People Gear kit bag to try, but it is pretty dorky and out of place looking where I hike, and is still off-body.

Anyone have a great holster to recommend? I’m weary of leather as I tend to sweat a lot while hiking, so my first choice would be kydex, but I’m willing to change my mind on that.

Thanks!

Might try JM custom kydex. As I understand they can probably make what you are needing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

Yeah, water and leather don't get along.

That said, If you go with leather, OWB is much better than IWB for resisting sweat. Also mink oil applied to the belt loops and the side facing you, will increase the water resistance of the holster.

If the holster does get wet, letting it dry fully between uses helps it to recover somewhat.

A horse hide holster, if you can find one, is a bit better than cowhide holsters at resisting water.

Hope that helps.
    KWTL Feb 2022

Kenai from gunfightersinc if chest carry under a shirt or jacket is an option.

I live in a much wetter climate than NY and still use leather holsters. Personally, I would just get a leather IWB holster for it and carry appendix. A 3 inch N frame is not too big for that unless someone is a bean pole. Kydex is also a fine choice, but I find leather more comfortable.
    Sarcasm warning in effect.

We don't have the Second Amendment because Bambi is coming.

I shoot revolvers a lot.

Kydex is fairly hard to find.

I often carry a 4” 629 mountain gun in the woods and while I have a kydex rig for it the guy is out of business.

My favorite holster for IWB carry is a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. It rides and carry’s like a dream.

When I did the first ever revolver only class at TR (it was before I knew Gabe) I ran an Ernie Hill Ghost Slide and again it worked like a champ.

If you want I can send any of these to you for you to try including the kydex if you want to try and have them copied.
    I carry two kinds of trauma kits. One for fixing it and one for causing it.

Sounds like a great opportunity to get a couple of 12"x12" sheets of kydex, some closed cell foam, and a little time with your oven. Form fit then cut off the parts you dont want. Heat gun for final shaping. Might make a nice weekend project.

If Im in the woods, or doing my ruck, I use a hill people gear chest pack as it conceals well (hides in plain sight) and doesnt interfere with any of the straps on my ruck.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Sounds like a great opportunity to get a couple of 12"x12" sheets of kydex, some closed cell foam, and a little time with your oven. Form fit then cut off the parts you dont want. Heat gun for final shaping. Might make a nice weekend project.
    Seconded. Kydex is easy to DIY. It may not be as pretty as something out of Blade-Tech's shop, but it's easy to make something that is functional. When good options exist in the market already, it is easier (and ultimately a better economic choice) to just buy what is out there. But for oddball stuff that would have to be custom made, it's so much easier (and faster) to just walk out to the shop and cobble one together. And once you get some basic skills, it will embolden you to modify your current rigs so as to optimize them for your own use.

0.080 Kydex
    Pull-the-dot belt loops
    Heat gun
    Screws, posts, washers

You'll also want some gloves, a little bit of not-too-permanent glue, and little scraps of wood/foam/whatever to work as spacers. And with the threaded parts, make sure that both the screw and post have a head that allows it to be turned with a tool. The Chicago screws with a smooth head offer no adjustability (or removal, without a drill) if you've Loc-Tited them (or just tightened them a lot).
    Virtute et Armis

I don't know about you guys, but I still get moisture -- rain, sweat, blood -- on my gear, so kydex is not the be-all and end-all. As a big fan of synthetics -- kydex, cordura, et. al. -- I say leather doesn't completely suck, depending on the pistola you're carrying. Still, no matter which I use, any gun (or knife) that is vulnerable to corrosion gets a healthy slathering of some sort of protective coating before going out into the elements. Back in the day I'd use Raindance or Turtle car wax on my old 1911 Colts and j-frames. I used to carry a 10mm Colt Delta Elite in a leather Jackass rig when deer hunting and never got a spot of rust on that beautiful blued steel. I miss that gun but like a dumbass I let it go. <sigh>

Anywho, nowadays it's Marine Tuff Cloth or Tuff-Glide, sometimes
    Obenaufs on my blades. Glocks, Cerakote and stainless have made me lazy, though.

[/BOLD][/BOLD]
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 06-27-2022 at 07:34 AM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by coastalcop View Post
    Lots of good ideas on this thread, but I like this one a lot. Looking into what's involved...