Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    What if when she is expecting to interact with the troublesome people she decides to wear her hair in a bun with a couple chopsticks to hold it in place?
    Glad you mentioned that. Ever heard of Murderneedles?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2730...929/?ref=share

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

For this scenario, a "weapon" that can always be carried on your person AND is extremely discreet, what is y'alls opinion of the Tactikey?
    It can be used by either hand or both (2x), inexpensive, disposable. The key's edges can be "sharpened" and a G10 blade is available for metal detector areas.

Try punching something hard with a key between your fingers. Let us know how it goes.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Like the neck? Or an eye socket? Or any other soft tissue?
    This Key is usually 2 1/4 " possibly longer.
    The Grab n Stab was 4".

I've purchased one and tried it out on boxes and such. Nothing like a skull but it pokes a hole in what you punch.

I intend no disrespect to you, Mr. Yamamoto, but have you used this "Tactikey" ?

None taken.

No, I have not used this. But I’ve been hitting things for decades. And even though I didn’t need to do so to know the results, I have punched stuff with keys between my fingers. It is not the healthiest thing to do for the hands. Not to mention that it takes away the ability to grab and manipulate with that hand…which is kind of important in a bad breath distance encounter. Yes, your hand can’t grab if you’re holding a gun, or knife…but those are much more effective weapons and worth the trade off. Compare to some brass knuckle weapons that still allow the ability to grab and if designed well are less likely to hurt your fingers if used well.

Remember that the bad guy gets a vote in everything that happens. Yes, a key to the eye wouldn’t do him any good…but he gets to move, he gets to use his hands too…and if your hand is redirected to the hard bone of his skull then it’s likely to hurt your hand more than a little cut to his brow.

I’m not saying such tools have NO value. But the ability to use them well without self-inflicted injury is more than what most people choosing such tools are willing to put time and effort into. As such they become talismans and I think can do more harm than good.

I often say that we should be able to kill a man with a spoon if we need to. Same could be applied to keys. But I contend holding them in a fist between your fingers is a bad idea.

Pinching a key strongly between your thumb and forefinger is safer. Using as an implement to DIG into soft points, rather than a hard strike, is safer. But this requires a good degree of hand strength.

People can carry and do what they want of course. And anyone can practice and become marginally more effective with substandard tools. But I think it’s a better use of time and effort to focus on better, more effective tools.

And THAT results in a happy by-product of becoming better with improvised weapons such as keys, hopefully that makes sense. I suspect you have devoted some time to better tools, and as a result can use a key more effectively. The people who gravitate most strongly to these kind of things generally do not do the necessary work. Thus, it’s nothing more than a talisman and the idea can do more harm than good.

My opinion
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I misspoke about the length of the key.
    The OAL of the key is 2 ".
    The key only protrudes from the hand ~1 "

When combined with sufficient skill and the proper mindset, a knife can be a very effective tool. But I'm often hesitant to suggest a knife for a scenario like this. Knives--even more so than guns--are often carried by people as if it is a lucky rabbit's foot that wards off evil. It isn't truly a weapon; it's just a talisman. There are gobs of people who carry a crappy folding knife that is perpetually dull and that they have never trained with. But they convince themselves that if they had to they could rise to the occasion and prevail with their little Swiss Army knife as if it were Excalibur. It's a delusion.

In the opposite corner, you have a few guys who have trained and know the limits, but choose to carry a little folder because it's all they can get away with and they can pass it off as a box opener. I know a lot of cops/firefighters/EMTs who keep a 4" Spyderco stashed out of sight and if needed will explain that it's for 'cutting people out of their seatbelts.'

Folding knives suck. Fixed blade knives are much better. I have traveled through some countries that prohibited fixed-blade knives, so I made a sheath for an old Buck 110 that carries it AIWB with the blade deployed. That way I can honestly assert that it is a folding knife but I get the benefits (speed of deployment anyway) of a fixed blade. Knives can be carried in infinitely variable ways. The only limit is your imagination. But it does take some creativity, and you need to analyze each option to ensure that you'll actually be able to get to your blade while someone is trying to kick you in the head.

But the biggest reason I question the value of knives to so many people is that they lack the heart to properly use it. Very few people truly possess the heart of a killer. And this issue really rises to the top with women. I've heard some very soft-hearted and gentle women assert that they would be capable of great violence to anyone who threatened their kids. I know there is truth in that, but I also see limits to their violence. Knife fighting is not for the squeamish. Of all the women who have said something like that, I suspect fewer than a tenth would actually have the force of will to repeatedly stab a man in the rectum just to make sure there is no way he survives. (Humans haven't yet created antibiotics capable of overcoming that particular injury.) And if you go into a knife fight half-hearted, you are at a serious tactical disadvantage.

I like knives. But I also know the darkness of my own heart, and I embrace it. Knives aren't for everyone.
    Virtute et Armis

I submit that this is a better way to hold a key rather than between the fingers with a normal fist.

D3FB87FC-00CF-48FF-9FD9-EE0AA3CA2C2A.jpg
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

If a key happens to be in my hand at the time of an assault, it might naturally become a part of a reactionary strike. I suppose the same would go for anything I happen to be carrying while going about my business.

This does not, however, make a tube of lipstick my weapon of choice.

A real weapon is my weapon of choice.

If I have time enough and my hands are free to grab accessories from my hair, mace from my purse, or keys from my pocket- I do believe I would be better served going for something I can use to completely stop the threat. No matter how many times I have to stab him in the private bathing parts or shoot him in the face.

The assaulter most likely won't stop assaulting due to pain compliance, a scratched arm, or a gouged eye. At best, using less force than warranted against the assaulter might take him from purse thief or "part-time casual rapist" to kidnapper or murderer.
    I pace the shallow sea, walking the time between, reflecting on the type of fossil Id like to be."

-Ann Zwinger

~**I Axolotl questions**~

And while I think that going for eyes is a good thing, we have to remember that going for eyes really escalates things. We can’t assume the bad guy is gonna fold after hurting his eye. Going for eyes is just the opening salvo to take the initiative and then either crush him or get the hell away.

This is why, no matter how good you are with your hands…going to guns is the wisest for real violence.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes: