Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Exiled in Texas
    Posts
    7,341
    I don't want to derail the thread, but this is a good place to insert a lesson for the youngsters about choosing a career path.

    I like my job. I like it because I am particularly well-suited for it, it's entertaining, and it pays well. But another fact that people often don't consider is the fact that I can walk away any time I choose and just ply my trade under my own roof. I don't need a company to work for. These days, you don't even really need an office to be a lawyer. You can do everything you need from a laptop and a cell phone. I don't even need a bunch of tools. Short of getting disbarred (which takes something special), my income-earning potential is secure.

    Most jobs today don't have that kind of security. People think of union jobs as offering security, but my observation is that they aren't nearly as secure as some people think. Whenever you are working for a company large enough to have a union, you are working for a company large enough and smart enough to find a justification to fire you if you piss off the wrong person. And the bigger a company is, the more stupid regulations they are going to have. Some jobs are almost impossible to find outside of a giant corporation. You can make a good living working on airplanes with an Airframe & Powerplant license, but there are very few good jobs in that field that exist outside of the corporate umbrella. Maybe you can find a gig at some tiny airport working on private planes, but it certainly won't pay as well as working for Delta or United. Software and IT jobs are another that tend to be grouped into big companies. You'll find some niche jobs that can be done by a guy running his own solo business, but those are rare.

    Contrast that with the trades of plumbing and electrical work. Those jobs pay well and you don't have to work for somebody else. If you've got skills, tools, and a van (in that order), you don't need to work for someone else. You may choose to work for a company, but you could always make the decision to go open up your own shop.

    Guidance counselors seem to ignore this aspect of choosing a career, but it is a huge factor in your life. This is freedom. This is the difference between having the freedom to stand on your own or being forced to work as a cog in a larger machine.

    Even when I was younger, and working jobs where I knew I would get fired if I was found armed, I always did it anyway. So what if they fired me? I knew that job wasn't the end of the line for me anyway. I always knew that I had the skills and drive to make it on my own.

    If you can gain the skills and work your way towards a position that gives you the confidence to know that you can thrive without the big company, then you don't have to worry as much about their ridiculous rules. Not everyone will be able to do this. And if you are 50 and stuck in a field that is, by its nature, a big company job, then you may well be stuck. But the younger guys should think about this and plan accordingly. Look for a job that gives you true freedom, not just the freedom to carry a gun (but that's definitely on the list).
    Virtute et Armis

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Molotov View Post
    This. I am a woman, and yes, this is what I have. Nothing else has worked for me, either being too bulky or requiring a full change to my outer clothing. This can be worn with no large over belt required. It can be concealed beneath almost anything even beyond pants. There are loads of videos to get the fit just right too. Straight up full concealment.
    Just curious, would you say they are relatively comfortable or more just tolerable?
    KWTL Feb 2022

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This is simply not true. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your private possessions such as a purse, lunch box, personally owned file folder, etc.
    My comment wasn't theoretical. I worked with the team that did the searches. That included purses, backpacks, lunch boxes etc... anything going out was searched.

    Workplace security audits also included desk areas, but they wouldn't open locked desk cabinets unless there was a reason. If there was a reason, then any container on company property could be opened.

    People were never searched. Carrying on the person was much safer.

    Nothing I say should be construed to mean that she should go unarmed, just that she should know the actual risks and do it in the smartest way possible.
    KWTL Feb 2022

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRiding View Post
    My comment wasn't theoretical. I worked with the team that did the searches. That included purses, backpacks, lunch boxes etc... anything going out was searched.

    Workplace security audits also included desk areas, but they wouldn't open locked desk cabinets unless there was a reason. If there was a reason, then any container on company property could be opened.

    People were never searched. Carrying on the person was much safer.

    Nothing I say should be construed to mean that she should go unarmed, just that she should know the actual risks and do it in the smartest way possible.
    And what would have happened if someone said no? Would you have forcibly taken and opened the item or simply told them to not bring it in? Not sure where you work or who gave you guys the “authority” to do so but case law is pretty clear on these points.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    And what would have happened if someone said no? Would you have forcibly taken and opened the item or simply told them to not bring it in? Not sure where you work or who gave you guys the “authority” to do so but case law is pretty clear on these points.
    Excellent question! In this case the minimum would be termination with cause, but much more likely they would have been arrested.

    My plan is to never let it go that way. The war is won before the first battle.

    I knew the policies, procedures and tools implemented by the security teams.
    KWTL Feb 2022

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRiding View Post
    Just curious, would you say they are relatively comfortable or more just tolerable?
    It is not just tolerable, it is comfortable. It is the only holster I have found to be so. No changes to my clothing to accommodate it either. This is not essential considering how important it is to carry - in all environments - but it is a nice bonus. Skirts, dresses or workout clothing are all manageable with this. The videos on adjustment are absolutely necessary, however. Prepare to spend some time setting it up. This is what will make it comfortable. Expect trial and error.
    “I pace the shallow sea, walking the time between, reflecting on the type of fossil I’d like to be."

    -Ann Zwinger


    ~**I Axolotl questions**~

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Big Northeastern NPE
    Posts
    468
    Apparently I’ve given Lawdog too many reputation points already to add more, but the below is gold. And something I hope to pass on to my own boys.

    Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I don't want to derail the thread, but this is a good place to insert a lesson for the youngsters about choosing a career path.

    I like my job. I like it because I am particularly well-suited for it, it's entertaining, and it pays well. But another fact that people often don't consider is the fact that I can walk away any time I choose and just ply my trade under my own roof. I don't need a company to work for. These days, you don't even really need an office to be a lawyer. You can do everything you need from a laptop and a cell phone. I don't even need a bunch of tools. Short of getting disbarred (which takes something special), my income-earning potential is secure.

    Most jobs today don't have that kind of security. People think of union jobs as offering security, but my observation is that they aren't nearly as secure as some people think. Whenever you are working for a company large enough to have a union, you are working for a company large enough and smart enough to find a justification to fire you if you piss off the wrong person. And the bigger a company is, the more stupid regulations they are going to have. Some jobs are almost impossible to find outside of a giant corporation. You can make a good living working on airplanes with an Airframe & Powerplant license, but there are very few good jobs in that field that exist outside of the corporate umbrella. Maybe you can find a gig at some tiny airport working on private planes, but it certainly won't pay as well as working for Delta or United. Software and IT jobs are another that tend to be grouped into big companies. You'll find some niche jobs that can be done by a guy running his own solo business, but those are rare.

    Contrast that with the trades of plumbing and electrical work. Those jobs pay well and you don't have to work for somebody else. If you've got skills, tools, and a van (in that order), you don't need to work for someone else. You may choose to work for a company, but you could always make the decision to go open up your own shop.

    Guidance counselors seem to ignore this aspect of choosing a career, but it is a huge factor in your life. This is freedom. This is the difference between having the freedom to stand on your own or being forced to work as a cog in a larger machine.

    Even when I was younger, and working jobs where I knew I would get fired if I was found armed, I always did it anyway. So what if they fired me? I knew that job wasn't the end of the line for me anyway. I always knew that I had the skills and drive to make it on my own.

    If you can gain the skills and work your way towards a position that gives you the confidence to know that you can thrive without the big company, then you don't have to worry as much about their ridiculous rules. Not everyone will be able to do this. And if you are 50 and stuck in a field that is, by its nature, a big company job, then you may well be stuck. But the younger guys should think about this and plan accordingly. Look for a job that gives you true freedom, not just the freedom to carry a gun (but that's definitely on the list).

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by AZRiding View Post
    Just curious, would you say they are relatively comfortable or more just tolerable?
    Not her, but the lady I bought it for says it's very comfortable and she can forget it's even there.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Palestine, TX
    Posts
    1,944
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Molotov View Post
    This. I am a woman, and yes, this is what I have. Nothing else has worked for me, either being too bulky or requiring a full change to my outer clothing. This can be worn with no large over belt required. It can be concealed beneath almost anything even beyond pants. There are loads of videos to get the fit just right too. Straight up full concealment.
    Nothing like a actual user to put the info out. If you please, what pistol are you carrying in this rig?

    I was thinking of getting one for my wife.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Molotov View Post
    It is not just tolerable, it is comfortable. It is the only holster I have found to be so. No changes to my clothing to accommodate it either. This is not essential considering how important it is to carry - in all environments - but it is a nice bonus. Skirts, dresses or workout clothing are all manageable with this. The videos on adjustment are absolutely necessary, however. Prepare to spend some time setting it up. This is what will make it comfortable. Expect trial and error.
    Very cool! Thank you for the information and I'm glad you found a good solution. I will definitely keep this in mind as both my wife and a few of my friends wives have complained about the structure of women's clothing not being conducive to carrying a pistol. I could also see this being useful for men wearing gym clothes.

    The holster is different enough from everything else on the market that I figured it would either work very well or very poorly. Glad to know it's the former.
    KWTL Feb 2022

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •