Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I failed my uncle (A Fudd’s Tale)…

For the last few months my uncle has been going on and on about Ohio passing Constitutional Carry and “being able to carry soon.” Of course, I pointed out to him that he could always take a CCW class and carry now but he replied something about “not wasting money.”

My uncle has very little experience with firearms (yet will be quick to give you his “expert” opinion on all matters gun related) and started asking me for my advice and recommendations.

Told him about proper gear, about how he should work on his fitness, about how real gunfights are not like the movies, and wrote down some basic dryfire drills for him, etc. Overall we talked for a couple hours and he thanked me.

The day he was “legally” able to carry he shows up at my house asking me if I want to shoot with him.

We arrive at the range and he pulls out a marvel of engineering…. A Bersa Thunder .380.

“Why in the world did you go with that?” I asked.

“My wife told me I could only spend a couple hundred on a gun and thats the only non-plastic one they had in my price range.”

Already dreading the answer I then asked my next question. “Did you get a holster and gun belt?”

With a proud smile he lifted his shirt and said, with a straight face, “Sure did. The gun store had some pretty good and comfortable holsters on sale for $10 bucks.”

Of course it was an Uncle Mikes. And the gun belt? It was his same wal-mart fake leather belt because “its plenty good enough.”

I set up the targets (IDPA cardboard and some B-8s I had laying around) and told him he could shoot first.

My uncle draws his gun and hold his little .380 with a teacup grip that is so marvelous Chuck Norris would be proud! He proceeds to mag dumb the Bersa Thunder at the IDPA target from a range of 7yds. Out of eight rounds I believe he hit the target twice. To his credit, one shot was center mass…

”Did you use your sights?”

”No. I wont use them in a gunfight so no use using them now.”

”Would you like me to show you how to get a better grip on the pistol?”

”Nah, I think this grip is fine. I just need a little practice.”

He finishes off the 50rd box of ammo as fast as he could load and fire the pistol. He then proudly declared he was ready to carry “for real” and loaded up ready to go home.

More than a little concerned I turned to him. “You know, I feel like you didn’t take any of my advice I gave you. Did you even do any dryfire?”

”I appreciate all the advice but you take this stuff to seriously. And no I’m not going to do that dry stuff because you can’t get good unless you are shooting the gun for real. C’mon, you should know that with how well you shoot!”

My uncle is NOT a dumb man. He has made a small fortune flipping houses and selling cars. I knew that he had the intellect to understand the importance of training and practice and for a moment I consider trying again to explain it to him. Then the moment passed and I just nodded my head.

This all happened several days ago. I ran into today and asked if he was carrying.

”No its at home in dresser. Its just not comfortable and [wife] complains about me carrying anyways. She thinks I’m going to shoot myself! Can you believe that?”

On one hand I feel like I failed my uncle by not being more patient and trying to get through to him. On the other hand I realize that while you can lead a donkey to water, its up to that jackasss to decide to drink or not!

I live in Ohio and unfortunately I feel like there are suddenly A LOT of people just like my uncle now carrying their subpar gun around in a crappy holster, with no real training or understanding. While I never believed one should have to take a class and apply for a permit to utilize your God given rights, I admit to wondering if the streets are actually safer now with an army of untrained morons carrying deadly weapons around…

I’ll continue to tell every new gun owner I meet about Suarez International and Warriortalk hoping they come and “drink” up the wisdom but I honestly have very little faith in the average gun owner.

Patience is a virtue. This experience has provided you with the opportunity to demonstrate that skill.
    Virtute et Armis

No.

Your uncle failed you.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

To be perfectly honest...my patience for people like him has been exhausted long ago. Blood or no blood. I know about gunfighting and I know about killing. I will not validate somebody's slothful habits or niggardly choices to avoid making them feel bad. "My wife said I could only spend this much"? My next statement is , "Then maybe your wife can teach you how to gunfight homie".

”I appreciate all the advice but you take this stuff to seriously. And no I’m not going to do that dry stuff because you can’t get good unless you are shooting the gun for real. C’mon, you should know that with how well you shoot!”... My uncle is NOT a dumb man.

Sorry...uncle or not...he is. Lots of dehydrated horse skeletons just a foot away from the watering hole. I am to the point where I have no shits to give for those dead horses. Imagine how much less interest I have in those who are given this material for free but don't care. One attempt to guide...after that...see ya.

And Jeff...patience is a virtue...TO A POINT.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Some people were born to drop common loot when killed...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

There's some people. Relatives or otherwise if they ask me for advice on optics, ammunition or firearms.
    My answer will be: Are you going to listen this time or buy some cheap weird bullshit.
    A friend once asked me about my AR pistol but sure as shit he and his son built a freaking range queen DMR wannabe. 🙄
    And don't get me started on their pistol choices.

Some people can't be helped.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Huh........ never had that before... Brent, Gabe?

Honestly, as a professional instructor, he's the kid of student I would cash his check, tell him he's awesome, and spend zero time talking to as long as he was safe enough.

You didn't fail your uncle, he failed himself. You might try to relate training and equipment to something he can relate to from his personal or professional lives
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Huh........ never had that before... Brent, Gabe?

Honestly, as a professional instructor, he's the kid of student I would cash his check, tell him he's awesome, and spend zero time talking to as long as he was safe enough.

You didn't fail your uncle, he failed himself. You might try to relate training and equipment to something he can relate to from his personal or professional lives
    I have long since lost count.

as you say, cash the check and pat them on the back.

I do my best with every student…but all I can do is hold up my end of the bargain. Nothing can be done with someone who really doesn’t want to learn.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Addressing the phenomenon rather than WM's uncle, whom I have never met:

It's a way of putting the enthusiast, instructor or SME in his place. See, all that knowledge, training, info is useless and I, the student, know it and know better.

And just to show my imaginary power over you, I'll insult you while I reject what you have to tell me.

Among the worst offenders here are not Fudds, but cops.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-25-2022 at 03:57 PM.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28