Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Falling skills

I had gym classes in middle school. Which were useless...except for one winter where we covered tumbling. Which has proven to be a very useful tool in the toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    I had gym classes in middle school. Which were useless...except for one winter where we covered tumbling. Which has proven to be a very useful tool in the toolbox.
    Not even climbing the rope in gym class?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    * There are times when--in or out of a fight--something trips you. It is much faster to roll rather than fall and get back up. And it is way safer.
    * The main takeaway from practicing falls and rolls is that you don't freak when it happens, it's part of the thing, and you roll with it.
    A few years ago, I was in New Orleans with my wife on a business trip. One of the guys there was a serious jujitsu practitioner. While walking through the French Quarter, he stepped off a curb, got his foot caught on something, and pitched forward. Being who he was, he ducked into a forward roll and sprang right back up onto his feet. The people there are quite accustomed to watching someone fall, but unaccustomed to watching them spring right up out of it. All of the surrounding drunks gave him a round of applause.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

Fear is the biggest obstacle to learning falling skills.

Second is probably lack of training mats to study/practice these skills. I'm fine rolling on a hard surface but I won't practice break-falls without mats. Falling in real-life is one thing but if we can avoid unnecessary injuries, we should. This thread provided me with the extra motivation to make room for mats.

Studying and learning this from a good instructor is important. But the ability to regularly practice (most likely at home) is necessary.
    "If you decide you can do something, you will." -Gabe, KWTL

Yes that is all true.

Only reason my falling skills are strong is because I own a school and train on mats ALL THE TIME.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas