Hybrid View

Default Remington 870 barrel

So a while back my wife bought me a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. Can't say I'm ever actually use it as I have 5-6 Beretta Over Under shotguns that are my "Sporting" guns.
    Been thinking of buying a new barrel but not sure of what length I want, I'm wanting to turn it into more of a self defense gun. Saw a Carlson 18.5" that uses the Remchoke tubes. Have seen 20" and 24" as well.
    So I guess, recommendations for length and sights since bead, rifled and scope mounts are available.
    American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit

IMG_20200808_150610_135.jpg

I dig 10.5" ghost rings, and an RMR.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Some years ago had a similar vent rib 870 barrel cut to about 19 and rethreaded for the Rem Chokes. I had a large fiber optic bead installed as well. Id planned on it being my do-all shotgun: hunting, home defense etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Some years ago had a similar vent rib 870 barrel cut to about 19” and rethreaded for the Rem Chokes. I had a large fiber optic bead installed as well. I’d planned on it being my “do-all” shotgun: hunting, home defense etc.
    Sounds close to what I did on my 870 Express Super Magnum only I didn't thread it for chokes yet. It's improved cylinder and a little under 21" iirc.

Self-defense shotguns should be short. The 18" guns make up 95% of the "home defense" shotgun market, but only because of the NFA. If that piece of stupid legislation were removed, the sale of hacksaws would go up 400% overnight and tomorrow everyone would have a <14" barrel. My sole SBS is a 12.5" 870. It's lithe and nimble. If you are willing to paper it, then I'd say to do so. File the forms, get the stamp, and send the barrel out to have it shortened. An 18-20" shotgun is very much a compromise piece of kit, and not what anyone truly wants for a defensive gun. If you don't want the paper, then skip this gun and get a PGO that you can then affix a brace to.
    Virtute et Armis

I have a couple of 14" 870's as well as a 14" 590, however I just sent a 28" VR barrel off to Casey at Tac Ord and had him chop it to 18.5 and ream it for RemChoke. It now has a orange/tritium Big Dot front sight on it and a 1-shot mag tube extension. It looks enough like a sporting shotgun that it doesn't upset the Presbyterians and at 6'3" and 270, the extra 4" or so of barrel means nothing to me (aside from the cool factor).

Nice thing about most pump guns is that multiple barrels are easy...

Picked up a 18.5" with Remchoke tubes.
    American Veteran and Patriot, Lover of God, Country and Family. No Regrets, No Bullshit