Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sig 365 xl spectre comp on range compared to Glock 43 with Dark Alley

A buddy and I went to the range with his 365 XL spectre Comp and brought my glock 43 with the dark alley comp. We decided to compare them head to head. Disclaimer- the 365 XL is stock with a holosun. The 43 has a face shooter barrel with Dark alley comp, SI trigger with the NP3 trigger bar, SI NP3 coated firing pin, SI recoil unit, and RMR CC. Before it seems like an unfair comparison look at the price of the 365 XL spectre comp.Also, the 43 is my 5 day a week carry weapon so the familiarity is definitely there.

250 rounds were fired through each weapon by each of us.

Accuracy- no comparison here. The 43 is hands down more accurate for both of us. At 10 yards it is literally minute-of-teeth. The sig groups are right at double at 10 yards. 25 yards which is the farthest we shot them the difference really becomes apparent. The 43 is in the 4 inch range at that distance whereas keeping 50 shot groups from the SIG I was struggling to keep it under 6. "Accurate enough for defense" is the dumbest statement ever made. There is no such thing. You can never be too accurate with the weapon you have to defend yourself and your family.

Reliability- neither weapon had any type of malfunction during the range trip.

Trigger- the Sig trigger is mushy with a shitty resent. The faceshooter trigger is as good a striker gun is going to get safely. Neither is a staccato or Wilson trigger. The chassis or something in the SIG feels like it is moving about every 3 rounds. Barely noticeable but disconcerting when going to the trigger pull.

Comp effectiveness- going in I thought the SIG would be considerably better due to the larger ports. Turned out not to be the case they are equally effective. It's likely due to the grip angle on the Glock. They are both very flat shooting.

Capacity- the XL wins here no questions asked. 12 rounds beats 6. I run +2s on the 43 most of the time, but the XL can be swapped up to 15.

The factory grip texture on the XL is without a doubt superior to the factory Glock 43 texture.

Conclusion- they are both reliable weapons. The glock 43 has some concealment advantages, while the XL has a serious capacity advantage. The SIG design of the shorter 365 standard barrel inside of the longer 365XL slide with ports cut into it was intriguing to me, but at the end of 500 total rounds it was filthy compared to the Glock. If I had to carry a SIG for some reason I would consider buying the manual safety XL and the adding the comped upper and associated parts. I don't believe in the SIG striker system with no safety.

Thank you.

Besides being a practical hands-on eval, it's a reminder to carry the most shootable pistol you can given your circumstances, regardless of size, capacity or features.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:25

On the comps: any noticible difference in muzzle rise or split times?

And thanks for doing this.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    On the comps: any noticible difference in muzzle rise or split times?

And thanks for doing this.
    I could not tell a difference between muzzle rise and split times. The combinations of the glock and and the better trigger probably broke up any advantage the sig had.

Good info. While it complicates life, I'm glad to see that we have real choices now in the market.

I've been a Glock Kool-Aid drinker for a while now, so it takes a lot to pull me away. But the 43 and 48/43X options have ultimately left me a bit dissatisfied. The G43 conceals wonderfully, and actually shoots well once I've got it out, but it's so small that it can actually be hard to get ahold of if you are on your back getting kicked around while you try to draw. A gun like the Shield is much easier to grab onto. The 48 is easy to grab, but doesn't seem to offer that much of an improvement over the concealability of a G19. As an added gripe: this means that I now have three different sizes of Glock mags, so my brilliantly simple plan of scattering G17 mags all over my property isn't as useful as it used to be.

So I recently picked up both a Sig P365 and a Shield Plus. I ran all four guns this past Saturday and I'm keeping notes on them all. It will be a while, though, before I reach a decision about which gun actually comes out on top. The size rankings are pretty easy to order, though. From smallest to largest, you have the G43, then P365, then Shield Plus, and finally the 48. The middle two have the best odds of being the Goldilocks selection, but Glock often manages to make a comeback. As time and ammo permit, we'll see.
    Virtute et Armis

Good report.

Shield Arms recently came out with their 9 round mag for the G43, which helps with the capacity a bit. I bought one, along with the steel mag catch, but haven't run more than a few magazines through it. If anyone's interested I can share a couple pics with it next to some of the other G43 mag options.

I’ve got a 365XL and recently got a 43X equipped with the SI-43K slide, Faceshooter barrel with Dark Alley comp and Holosun 507k. This 43X has really grown on me and is now my primary carry pistol (especially when it’s warm out). The SI upgrades have really made this small pistol something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Shield Arms recently came out with their 9 round mag for the G43, which helps with the capacity a bit. I bought one, along with the steel mag catch, but haven't run more than a few magazines through it. If anyone's interested I can share a couple pics with it next to some of the other G43 mag options.
    Please do.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Please do.
    OK, here goes:

I've removed the stock base plates from almost all my G43 mags, and until now have been using a mix of Pearce +1 and Vickers +2 extensions. I like the feel of the Pearce +1 best, but the Vickers +2 have been very reliable and feel pretty good too. In comes the Shield Z9 mag - it doesn't extend as far as the Vickers +2 (which is an 8rd mag, to be clear) in the front, but is a little more squared off and blocky in the rear. Minor nitpick. Otherwise it feels pretty good too.

Here are some pics. Left to right: Pearce +1, Shield Z9, Vickers +2.

Pearce +1:

Shield Z9:

Vickers +2: