Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The "slave nerd" mentality dovetails nicely with my referring to all those Democrat-led cities as "urban plantations," where the disadvantaged inner-city minorities -- and the crime, drugs, poverty, gang violence, lack of jobs and welfare use are out-of-control -- just blindly keep voting for those same Democrat mayors who promise reform (and blame their conservative conterparts' greed or lack of compassion)...and things just continue to get worse...
    Bob
    a.k.a. StealthNeighbor
    CRG-2 / CRG-3 / CRG-4 / HITS-8 / HRO-5 / RGF-1

"Tell me and I forget.
    Show me and I remember.
    Involve me and I learn."
    --
    quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood.
    I have absolutely no issues going out in exactly the same manner."
    --
    unknown (lots of variants)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthNeighbor View Post
    The "slave nerd" mentality dovetails nicely with my referring to all those Democrat-led cities as "urban plantations," where the disadvantaged inner-city minorities -- and the crime, drugs, poverty, gang violence, lack of jobs and welfare use are out-of-control -- just blindly keep voting for those same Democrat mayors who promise reform (and blame their conservative conterparts' greed or lack of compassion)...and things just continue to get worse...
    For many of them, there is no other choice but to vote for the same old Dem candidates. They aren't going to vote for the other guy, the one whose platform focuses on giving them the space and freedom to fix their lot themselves, but also makes no explicit promise to come in and fix things for them. So while things may keep getting worse, what alternative is there from their point of view? It isn't like they are inclined or even capable of fixing their situations on their own, even if all "barriers" were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    For many of them, there is no other choice but to vote for the same old Dem candidates. They aren't going to vote for the other guy, the one whose platform focuses on giving them the space and freedom to fix their lot themselves, but also makes no explicit promise to come in and fix things for them. So while things may keep getting worse, what alternative is there from their point of view? It isn't like they are inclined or even capable of fixing their situations on their own, even if all "barriers" were removed.
    Truth...
    Bob
    a.k.a. StealthNeighbor
    CRG-2 / CRG-3 / CRG-4 / HITS-8 / HRO-5 / RGF-1

"Tell me and I forget.
    Show me and I remember.
    Involve me and I learn."
    --
    quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin

"I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood.
    I have absolutely no issues going out in exactly the same manner."
    --
    unknown (lots of variants)

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Different than victimhood, but often exhibiting the same symptoms: there are many in the gun community who are--for lack of a more scientific name--"slave nerds." They are fundamentally slaves. They follow rules and obey their masters. They are also nerds, and good at memorizing useless trivia.

It is good to know the rules, even if you don't follow them. I would rather flagrantly violate the law than get in trouble for just being an idiot who didn't know better. So I read up on stuff to ensure that I have a solid understanding of the law, but then I do whatever I was going to do in the first place.

The Slave Nerds view every edict from the ATF as if it were the gospel. They read every ambiguity in the most restrictive way. They actually seem to believe that these made-up rules have some kind of moral foundation. And they are quite proud of their ability to memorize every little sub-sub-sub-section of the U.S. Code. They love to show off their knowledge by pointing out how someone else has broken the law, or to spontaneously point out things that you shouldn't do because it would be against the law. The useless recitation of rules seems to provide them with a dopamine hit or something similarly internally pleasing.

They probably believe that they are being helpful. In reality, they're just annoying and boring. And once I've identified them, I'll never go out to play with them, because God only knows what great crimes they might find in my kit.
    They get off on it. They brag, even flex on how law abiding they are. True story of just such a slave nerd. This guy was a member at a private club/ shooting preserve that I was a member of. He was holding court as elder Fudds do, talking about how important gun and game laws were. He bragged, no shit really puffed up telling the tale of calling the cops on his son when the kid shot some tweaty bird off season. It was bizarre. If I recall correctly he pressed the issue far enough that the (teen, maybe young adult) son had to go to court. Thou shalt not break The Almighty State's laws was the whole gist of the monologue.

Not an isolated incident. Over the decades I've noticed there are a lot of these guys out there. They'd suck a Richard if it made them look more "righteous."

The Slave Nerd. The slave nerd is a mental condition arising from an extended state of LAGO. It is like a Taliban LAGO...as extremist as a neck beard in a man dress. The only thing I have for them is contempt and disdain.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters