Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I would be in for buying a copy of the recording.

Great class tonight; lots of great teaching and info, and a good time as well.
    Thanks again Brent, it was excellent as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Great class tonight; lots of great teaching and info, and a good time as well.
    Thanks again Brent, it was excellent as always.
    I agree! Zoom kicked me out at the 2-hour mark and I could not get back in. This was a great training session and I found lots of things that I need to get better doing and how to get better through training that makes sense.

Thank you Brent!
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Great class!

Thank you very much Brent for teaching the class.

The information was awesome for empty hand, use of edged weapons as well as shooting. This is truly foundational.
    KWTL Feb 2022

Brent,
    I had to miss the class but will be doing the recording if and when available. Let us know and I'll send $ via paypal. Thanks.

Excellent seminar!

The explanations and concepts are now starting to click for me.

The discussion on boxing mechanics versus karate mechanics was particularly helpful. Prior to this seminar, I was dissecting and attempting to reconcile the difference in power generation between the two. AZRiding beat me to a few questions which was pretty cool.

Also the section on structure was timely for me as I've been relearning a lot of my weight training for emphasis on form.

More questions on the way once I've had additional time to integrate all this instruction.

Looking forward to reviewing the recording and future Zoom seminars. Great seeing many familiar faces as well!

Thank you again Brent for hosting this seminar.
    "If you decide you can do something, you will." -Gabe, KWTL

Thanks to everyone who attended, it's always great fun spending time with people who are as passionate about this stuff as I am.

To the guys who where there in person - special thanks because I couldn't have done this one without you.

To those on the zoom - special thanks because I know how challenging it can be sitting and watching a screen for a 2 hours. Learning over zoom is definitely more challenging, and this subject in particular is very difficult without being in person. Zoom is far from ideal, but it does allow us to train together even with challenges of time and distance.

Apologies that it went a little longer than scheduled. I teach this stuff all the time, but in a normal class I would usually teach just one of the topics and go into more depth. In this one, I was trying to hit all the topics at a high level and it took a bit longer than intended. (Karl, we didn't go much longer than when you dropped, sorry zoom kicked you out!)

I won't have time to check the recording today but will be reviewing tomorrow and send to all the attendees assuming all worked out.

I'm very pleased that everyone enjoyed it and got something out of it.

I've gotten a few requests for future topics. The topic last night was especially challenging; power generation is something best felt and learned in person...BUT the ideas can at least be shared and hopefully I conveyed them reasonably well. Other topics are a lot easier to teach and demonstrate, so stay tuned.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

This is a short recap of the ideas...

Power generation is about hitting the bad guy as hard as you possibly can.

You don't have to hit someone that hard to knock them out under perfect conditions...but perfect conditions are not what we train for. A .22 is capable of killing bear, but no one with any sense is going to argue that it's a wise choice. So...learn to hit really f***ing hard.

There are things that add to our power, and things that take away. It's all about maximizing the pluses and minimizing the minuses.

There are different aspects to power generation. These can be explained in different ways, but this is how I explained it last night. Each of these aspects is distinct to itself, yet they all overlap each other. We went through several exercises to highlight each aspect, but it's impossible to completely isolate one. Even when you are focused on one aspect, you're still working on the others.

To each aspect, there is both a mental and physical component.

Strength -
    *Being stronger is always better.
    *There are a ton of resources that go into more depth on strength and power development, so we didn't delve deeply here.
    *Pushing heavy weight in a slow bench press is great for overall strength, and I think you should do this. However, at least some of your weight training needs to be focused on moving medium weight quickly and explosively if you want to develop useful strength for striking and moving more powerfully.
    *I have read that the muscles don't know the difference between actually moving quickly or simply receiving the impulse from the brain to fire explosively...meaning that you can still lift heavy and push things slow as long as your brain and body tried to blast quickly. On this subject I don't KNOW, but it makes sense to me and I think it's worth experimenting with.
    *I am a big fan of doing the same exercise a variety of different ways. Medium weight, medium pace. Heavy weight for low reps. Medium weight pushed explosively through the concentric and lowered slowly through the eccentric (honestly this is one of my favorites for both power generation as well as hypertrophy). Full range of motion for overall strength development, and partial range of motion to develop explosive power over short ranges. Experiment.
    *Obviously, lifting weights increases the strength of our prime movers, but an underrated aspect with regards to developing striking power is the supporting/stabilizing muscles.
    *No matter how you hit something, you need a strong grip and a stable wrist. The single best method to develop stability in the wrist is knuckle pushups - if you're just starting, do it on a soft surface. As you get better you can do it on hard surfaces but you don't need to be a hard ass about this. Better to do a few knuckle pushups ever other day on a carpet than nothing. Variety is good. Speaking of variety, do as many exercises to develop your forearms as you can. I think this is best done separately from your regular workouts.
    *Don't just use barbells and dumbells. I like Kettlebells a lot for large, multi joint exercises - the get up, the snatch, the clean and press, and the swing are my go-to exercises, and I usually do these in separate "mini-workouts" from my main weight lifting routine. I don't think you have to necessarily do a whole workout with KBs, but a few minutes of one of these exercises can do wonders for connecting your joints/muscles through large ranges of motion. I also like Indian clubs, sledge hammers, medicine balls, rubber bands, and swordwork. I think consistency of workout in general is very important, but I like packing a lot of variety into my routine.
    *Another aspect of weight training is making the connective tissue stronger. Look up "overcoming isometrics". I think this is an under-appreciated aspect, and I have a theory that tendon strength may be just as, and perhaps more, important than overall musculature. I can't prove that...but strong connective tissue is not a bad thing.
    *Finally, people who are diligent about creating a strong mind/muscle connection will benefit not only in simply getting stronger, but translating that strength into practical power for hitting bad people.

Relaxation
    *Stronger is better...but really strong people who are too tense cannot strike with great power. (To be sure, a strong person can still knock you out with a "poor" punch, but that's not the point).
    *For POWER, you need explosive speed. You MUST relax the right muscles in the right way for speed.
    *Pushing weight, your muscles are pushing under tenstion against resistance. That is good for developing strength, and doing so explosively trains fast twich muscles. BUT when you HIT something, your muscles must fire explosively but in a relaxed way. Your fist is moving through the air without resistance until you hit the target. This is different than pushing weight.
    *Tense muscles destroy your balance. They destroy your "sensitivity" to feeling what the other guy is doing if you're in a clinch or a grapple. Tense muscles destroy your structure, and of course they tire you out.
    *When we tense, we tend to raise our shoulders...this tends to disconnect our arms and our power evaporates. (This is not to say that you never raise your shoulder for tactical considerations...we sometimes the shoulder sometimes to create a "shield" for our face...but we must recognize that this takes away from our striking power.)
    *Sportsball shit is not fighting. But...watch the best athletes. They use muscle of course but when they throw, when they hit a ball, when they move...the best guys look effortless. They don't muscle their movements...they just move.
    *The harder you try to hit someone, the more tense you get and the slower your strike moves...this is not power. Just fire the damn strike with INTENT rather than EFFORT. This is counter intuitive and it's difficult to do but too f***ing bad. The harder you try to hit, the weaker it will be. NOT CARING IS A SUPERPOWER.

Structure
    *Structure is like the frame of a house. The frame must be strong and put together the right way or the house will collapse.
    *There is simple physical structure - putting the joints in the right place. Any good athelete or weight lifter should know something about putting your joints in the right place. For some reason, people who otherwise know how to structure their joints forget this important skill when it comes time to hit a training target or another human being.
    *There is also an important mental aspect to good structure. For a house to be useful, it must be wired for electricity. Your combat chasis must have a good frame (your skeleton/joints supported by muscle and connective tissue) and good wiring (your mindful connection to what your body is doing). This is mind and body coordination and it's simplest example is the unbendable arm exercise.
    *Lots of people can do unbendable arm as an exercise...but that doesn't mean they can use it in a practical way. This like being good at performing a musical scale but not being able to put together an entertaining guitar solo. The training tool is good but eventually you must put it to practical use.
    *The unbendable arm idea must be applied to ALL OF THE BODY. Your knees, spine and hips for instance.
    *Structure is about stability. It provides a stable firing platform.
    *Good structure is not about adding power to your strike, it is about minimizing power leakage. Lots of very strong people COULD hit hard but all their power leaks out of unstable joints.
    *In the beginning, structure must be learned in a static way. Just standing still, being a rock. But one must learn to move while maintaining structure. Look at Sanchin kata...the feet move as you step forward but the upper body, the core, the spine and hips...all are rock solid stable while moving.
    *Your structure can still be maintained even when your feet are not on the ground. Many times in training I've allowed someone to throw me but have punched them on the way down...it still works even when compromised.
    *Speaking of compromised positions...we didn't get to it last night because it's pretty advanced. But you must be able to create structure even from shitty positions. I often demonstrate being able to punch hard while leaning backwards on one foot. It's one thing to be able to hit hard under perfect conditions in the dojo, but you must be able to hit hard under shitty conditions in the real world. You can bet that if you have to use this stuff for real, at least some of the time you'll be hitting from less than ideal positions.
    *Building a powerful structure takes time. But a little practice as often as you can will build it up.
    *Another way to say this....STRUCTURE IS CONNECTING THE BODY. If your fist is like the firepower of the army, good structure is like a strong supply line.
    *Structure is the combination of strength and relaxation in perfect accord to address the specific demands of specific moment.

Moving weight
    *If structure is connecting the body, moving weight is projecting the whole body through a target.
    *We don't just punch or hammer or elbow with our arm...the arm is just the pointy tip of the spear. The whole body is connected to that spear.
    *This does NOT mean twisting the hips. Yes, one can deliver power through twisting the hips and yes that does put more of the body into the strike...but this is different than moving weight.
    *At the simplest level, moving weight is accomplished by a small forward bend of the knee. It's like take a step forward but your step is arrested before the rear foot leaves the ground. It doesn't take much and you don't want to over do it. Move your weight forward into the front leg while still maintaining your balance.
    *A superman punch is a good example of moving weight. It's also an example of a high risk/high reward technique. And I don't think it's especially useful for learning how to manipulate your weight. Any jackass can just dive into another jackass and put their body weight into the dive...but no one is going to learn anything other than greater jackassery.
    *We must hit with HEAVY HANDS. Whether a punch, a slap, an elbow, a hammer fist...we put our weight into our weapon. Our hands are like hammers - hard, unyielding, heavy.

Intent
    *Intent is a mental aspect that infuses all the aspects above.
    *At the simplest level, most of us know we must hit THROUGH the target, not simply strike the surface. Duh, right? But this is more profound and deeper than most realize. Imagine your strongest intent and turn the dial up to 11. That doesn't mean putting more physical effort into the strike, it means putting more mental intent into it.
    *Visualization is important. Visualize your fist going an inch deep into the target and exploding the organs underneath. That is what the punch should FEEL like to the guy who takes it.
    *Our strikes must create SHOCK. Pain is not enough. Even damage is not enough. SHOCK is what shuts people down. This requires all the aspects above to be in accord, but I think it is most strongly connected to our mental intent.
    *Looking in the direction of your strick is most useful here. Not necessarily AT the target (you don't look at his foot if you're stepping on his foot) but certainly looking at the person you're striking. You can create power looking a different direction but it's much harder. Your eyes help focus your intent even when you don't realize it.
    *Put your intent into your fist, or foot, or stick, or knife, and imagine all your weight their. Then send that weight right through his frickin brain.

Those are the primary aspects as I see them. There are certainly lots more details and lots of sub-aspects but I don't like to get too complicated.

The ASPECTS should be present in any strike, but then there are different METHODS to delivering a strike. Obviously there are diferent techniques (punch vs hammer vs elbow, etc.) but I'm talking about different METHODS of power generation.

*Twisiting the hips is one method that most people know. This method is good for some things, primarily because it is easy to learn and do. But it's tends to have compromised structure and people plateu with it quickly. Also people tend to overdo the hips and that makes it worse.

*The Sanchin punch is different from the Naihanchi punch...yes they are somewhat different techniques but more fundamental is that they develop power differently. Sanchin is driving the punch from a stabilzed hip and spine, elbow down, straight through the target, weight moving into the forward knee. Nainahanchi also uses a stable hip and spine, but the spine (not the hip!) twists. Elbow is out, weight shifts to forward knee but it's more internal intent than physical movement. Naihanchi is a bit more complicated method...and I find that my training partners and students tend to hit harder with it.

*Dropping our weapon (hammer fist, hammer punch, palm slap) uses gravity, the power of dropping.

*Swinging the fist from the shoulder...this is not using elbow movement, just shoulder movement. This is like raising the sword over head.

*Using the legs to develop power in the striking hand...this is a whole other topic and I'm out of time. But essentially these are all related to Moving Weight. Forward momentum, harnessing gravity by dropping, and/or shifting weight through the legs.

Techniques are training wheels to get the body to follow the principles. Once you understand the principles, the technique is not so important. But the training wheels are useful and even necessary because unless you're just born with the right instincts and intuitively understand all this stuff, you won't be able to strike with all the power that is within your potential.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Very well done Sensei. Wish I could have attended.

The Recap
    is an outstanding summary and needs to be published as a separate document (with an appropriate preamble to orient the reader). How about as a Sticky in WT to start with?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post

The Recap[/I][/U] is an outstanding summary and needs to be published as a separate document (with an appropriate preamble to orient the reader). How about as a Sticky in WT to start with?
    I agree on that for sure!

Wish you could've been there too Ted!