Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Zoom seminar: POWER GENERATION - Friday, June 17

Power Generation seminar via Zoom.

Friday, June 17. 6:30pm Pacific. Will go for roughly 90 minutes.

Power generation is something I hesitate to put on YouTube. For one thing, there's no way to prove it without going hands on and every YT jackass will come out of the woodwork to say how it sucks. People tend to STFU when you can actually hit each other and actually taste it.

It's kind of like watching a cooking video...yes, one can see the steps but you can't taste the food...so no matter how good it LOOKS, you have no idea whether it tastes good or not. And when it comes to hitting hard...well, knowledge is not power until it's made real in the flesh.

But, many of you have trained with me and gotten a taste, and I think we can get some decent work done via Zoom.

More details later but wanted to give you guys a heads up.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Some details...

Time/date:
    Friday, June 17
    6:30pm - 8pm Approximate. I can go longer if there are questions and interest...though I find that for most people 90 min is about all they can stand in a virtual class.

Payment:
    Paypal to Brent.Yamamoto.SI@gmail.com
    $30 for one person, $45 for two people. This is to encourage having a training partner - not absolutely necessary but you'll get more out of it with a partner.

Zoom:
    Obviously you'll need a screen to watch it. Laptop is better than a tablet, and an HDMI cable to the TV would be better still. But do what you can.

You do NOT need to share your screen if you don't want to. If you do share your screen, depending how things go I can offer improvement feedback (this will all depend on how many attend, how the time goes by, etc.)

The plan is to record the Zoom and I can share with attendees after. No promises though as tech fails sometimes.

Content:
    The goal is power generation for striking. Topics will include fitness, structure, relaxation/speed, moving weight, using big muscles, exercises for development, maybe some other stuff.
    A very limited number of techniques will be covered.

Space & Equipment:
    You'll need enough space to stand in an athletic stance and throw a punch. Roughly double that for a training partner. We will NOT be doing a lot of footwork, will not be doing sparring or "fight choreography".

We will be doing exercises where you hold a position and your partner pushes on you (structure development/testing).

We will also be hitting stuff. It is a power generation class after all. If your partner is tough, you can punch them in the chest/gut. Focus mitts will be fantastic. A phone book covered in duct tape is also good for those who are brave. And I suppose a couch cushion would be ok for those with nothing else.

What else do you guys need to know about the class?
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

I’m in.
    Life is dangerous, be dangerouser

Working then.

Would gladly pay full price for the recording.

I'm in. Probably will have my son join in as well, he's ready to get into this stuff.

For those who haven't trained with Brent, I can vouch for this power generation stuff being legitimate; very much so. Some of it is very eye opening, in a "wow I didn't know I could do that!" sort of way. It'll be well worth the cost of the class.

Excellent subject, I am in for this one.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Is this a good class for beginners in the subject? I would absolutely love to join and think I could convince my wife to join in, if it's the kind of thing she would likely benefit from. We've been (sporadically, really) working on some martial skills, and power generation is something we both need to learn, esp her.

Beginners will be fine in this one.

People that train in martial disciplines often talk about “basics”…as in the basic, simple techniques one practices in the beginning. That’s what beginners need, but more advanced people need more.

What I am more interested in is FUNDAMENTALS. Beginners don’t know much to begin with so it doesn’t hurt them. Often, advanced people have trouble because they have established habits that aren’t necessarily good.

Structure, for example, is something that every system thinks they teach, but in my experience many do not understand it well and teach it poorly at best.

I have a new guy join the dojo about a month ago. He has 20 years of Shotokan. He has good “basics”, is fast, strong, capable. He puts his joints in more or less the right places for most things. And yet his structure is weak. That’s not his fault because he’s a dedicated student…his teachers just didn’t know what they don’t know. So he is in the process of relearning fundamentals.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

XO and I will be there barring technical difficulties with Zoom.

And yes Brent can hit like Mack Truck even holding back.

More over he can do so at close range and in less than optimal stances.
    "If you decide you can do something, you will." -Gabe, KWTL

I'm in!