Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Having substantial admin experience in the healthcare field, as a general rule, psychiatrists & psychologists are among the most effed-up "practitioners" I ever encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by 62-10 View Post
    Having substantial admin experience in the healthcare field, as a general rule, psychiatrists & psychologists are among the most effed-up "practitioners" I ever encountered.
    Amen. Having some in my family and having had many more appear as expert witnesses in domestic relations cases, they are a special breed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by M_P_E View Post
    Amen. Having some in my family and having had many more appear as expert witnesses in domestic relations cases, they are a special breed for sure.
    That is funny. If I had to do it all over again I would have chosen Psychiatry as my field.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Biggs View Post
    First rule of bureaucracy: Create more bureaucracy!
    When the ATF passed Rule 41F a few years ago, they published this super-lengthy (~400 page?) document along with it. It addressed all of the questions and comments that had come up during the administrative process that precedes any new rule. It's way too complex and wouldn't be at all fun to read for most people. But there are some fun little nuggets in there for the lawyers. If I ever find the guy who wrote that thing (or the parts of it that I found hilarious), I plan to get him really drunk and force him to regale me with the story of how he actually got that published. I'm paraphrasing here, but to address the question of how Rule 41 would increase public safety, his response was "The purpose of Rule 41 is not to increase public safety. The purpose of Rule 41 is to further the goals of the National Firearms Act." When asked what legitimate government interest is served by the NFA, his response was, "The purpose of the National Firearms Act is the National Firearms Act."

While on one had it was infuriating to read, on the other hand it was hilariously honest. That guy straight up admitted that the only reason for the new rule was to have some new rules.

I wonder if there is a way to reign in the bureaucracy of this country without a full-out civil war. Probably not.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post

I wonder if there is a way to reign in the bureaucracy of this country without a full-out civil war. Probably not.
    We know the answer to this question but no one wants to admit it. The real problem lies in “ what comes out on the other side” of this thing?
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    The real problem lies in “ what comes out on the other side” of this thing?
    Fifty different nations aligned by regional and political alliances but zero control from that DC place.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Fifty different nations aligned by regional and political alliances but zero control from that DC place.
    I would vote for that. (Or kill for it, depending on what's needed.)
    Virtute et Armis

I would vote for that. (Or kill for it, depending on what's needed.)
    While that'd certainly be a good start, it's not how it'd turn out, or what the solution needs to be.

Very few of our states are internally unified, politically. Maybe Arizona and Alaska, I don't know, but think of all the other states that have a polar division between the urban and rural areas. That's where the lines are being drawn, and have been for a long time. Even California is that way, as screwed up as that state is. Liberal cities vs conservative farmland and countryside. They can keep their cities, I'll keep my wide open spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    They can keep their cities, I'll keep my wide open spaces.
    They won't let you.

The Left is like the Borg: you will be assimilated, or you will die resisting. There is no middle ground.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

The Apocalypse does kind of sound fun. But I've read through to the end of the Book, and it's pretty clear that I won't get to be here for it.

As to their math: they're psychologists, not economists. I'd estimate that the true number would come in at least double what they estimate. (Meaning that their plan would cost more than the entire Marine Corps.)
    If you count second, third and fourth order effects -- and beyond -- the true costs would be insurmountable. Loss of initiative, moral standing, national security (in terms of recruiting age fitness), manufacturing, etc. The deeper you dig the less sense it makes.

And this proposal comes from our higher education brain trust. <sigh>
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."