Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Logical Fallacy: The World Needs More of Me

I just read an article that proposes that the way to prevent mass shootings is to put 500,000 psychologists into public schools around the country and to force mental health treatment on the students who are identified as potentially susceptible to this kind of danger. The authors proposed that an average wage of $70k is reasonable, and would work out to a mere $35 billion annually. (As a point of comparison, the massive waste known as the TSA only costs us $10 billion annually.)

Who proposed this idea? It wasn't the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers. It was two renowned psychologists, who have been studying mass shootings (i.e. getting paid by grant money) for several years.

At the same time, the police shout about how they need more money for training. But more money wasn't going to give those cops in Uvalde the balls to act. The teachers.....well, when have teachers not been crying for more money.

It seems to be human nature for everyone to believe that the world's problems could all be solved if only everyone would support more of whatever it is that they do.

We're susceptible to this to. I don't think we can avoid this tendency. But if we are aware of it, perhaps it will help us to consider alternatives that are something more than just inviting the world to model themselves in our image.

I'm not proposing any particular plan of action here. I'm just feeling morbidly philosophical tonight and more effected than usual by the idiocy of society. Some days more than others, I just want to pray for the Rapture.
    Virtute et Armis

Let me get this straight. Psychologists are suggesting that other psychologists would work with violent batshit students for $70K a year? Now that's insanity.

I'd be content, in the event of the Rapture, that those I love and respect be taken. I don't mind staying to see the hand played out, a little rear guard action, and extraction by the usual method.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

We just need to get everyone hooked on Soma or Equilibrium...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Let me get this straight. Psychologists are suggesting that other psychologists would work with violent batshit students for $70K a year? Now that's insanity.

I'd be content, in the event of the Rapture, that those I love and respect be taken. I don't mind staying to see the hand played out, a little rear guard action, and extraction by the usual method.
    The Apocalypse does kind of sound fun. But I've read through to the end of the Book, and it's pretty clear that I won't get to be here for it.

As to their math: they're psychologists, not economists. I'd estimate that the true number would come in at least double what they estimate. (Meaning that their plan would cost more than the entire Marine Corps.)
    Virtute et Armis

I don't know who would be more dangerous, the psychologists or the kids. I would bet on the first
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

I think the world just needs more fathers.

Barring that, Iím not averse to re-releasing saber-toothed tigers amongst the population. Or whatever those Paleolithic apex predator mega-bears were called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."
    - Richard Rahl, The Sword of Truth

Of course they'd suggest that. And not only can they not do math, they seem to forget that when the school day is over, these kids go back to the same shit home environment that allowed them to morph into little monsters unchecked.

It would be an interesting experiment to put together a focus group or some such thing on this issue and have them work through possible solutions, micro and macro, to fix this problem. But start with the premise that there is no more money to throw at it, but you still have to protect the good members of the community somehow. I think you'd quickly get back to ideas like taking these socially malformed kids and putting them out of the tribe, doing so early and permanently. As it stands, this isn't an option. Or if it is, there are so many incremental steps required that it is essentially not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot3386 View Post

Barring that, I’m not averse to re-releasing saber-toothed tigers amongst the population. Or whatever those Paleolithic apex predator mega-bears were called.
    Agreed on both counts; especially the first.

But also especially the second too. :)

Quote Originally Posted by patriot3386 View Post

Barring that, I’m not averse to re-releasing saber-toothed tigers amongst the population. Or whatever those Paleolithic apex predator mega-bears were called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or....... Aenocyon dirus ....... Dire Wolf

new_dire_wolf_by_illustratedmenagerie_dec924t-fullview.jpg
    Many are able, few are willing .

Dirty is exactly why you are here.

Be ready and willing for the unthinkable.

NV28

RGF,PSP,ACRG x 2,CRG x 2
    Intro PS Basics,Def Knife
    HITS-7 Vehicle Gunfighting Fundamentals
    TASI,CRG-3,M4 RGF
    Red Dot Pistol in S.A. Tx.
    Suarez Pistol Gunfighting School 10/13-15/2017 Houston, Texas.
    Red Dot Combat Pistol School ,Mar 6-8-2020,Orange Tx.

First rule of bureaucracy: Create more bureaucracy!
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.