Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1A Loaded 6.5CM Precision Impressions/Opinions?

I have a 6.5CM bolt gun, and was thinking about adding another rifle in the same caliber. The Springfield M1A Loaded 6.5CM Precision rifle has caught my eye, but would like to know if any of the tribe has first-hand experience with one. I had a Scout model in .308 and while I didn't hate it by any means, it also did nothing to wow me.

I'm not what I would consider a rifleman, and I'm not looking shoot a cloverleaf at 1000 yds. I have more than a handful of 5.56 AR's, a couple of lever guns, an AK and the 6.5 bolt gun, so this isn't a need thing. Can't hunt with it where I live, and if pressed into defensive use I'd be looking at a max range of maybe 500 yds, with the vast majority of those shots being inside of 300 yds.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

SCAR. Having had the same 'meh' response to the M1A Scout (that I really wanted to love), the SCAR is pure performance. It's not cheap, but (a) you can afford it, and (b) you won't spend nearly as much improving/upgrading it as you would with other guns.
    Virtute et Armis

Ouch. I have a buddy who's a SCAR aficionado and he said the same thing. I understand and appreciate what you're saying, and yes, I can afford it, but that's a lot of cabbage for a non-rifleman to have tied up in a rifle that will rarely get shot. Maybe you're already talking me out of my idea, lol.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Also, the SCAR will keep its value in the used market better than pretty much anything comparable. You can have the sweetest AR-10, but its price is brought down by the existence of budget builds. And you never see a return on the money you sink into aftermarket triggers and stocks and such. As long as you don't invest too heavily in mags, you could get 80-90% of your money back out of a SCAR if you decide in a year or two that it's not for you.

But a negative: with the SCAR, you'll additionally have to pony up for the optic, because it will kill lesser glass.
    Virtute et Armis

I've had a couple of M1A types. I didn't love them either. Good rifles to be sure but scoping them is a pain in the neck and is clunky when it's done.

You could do an AR10 in 6.5CM easily. You could get a 308 upper for it too. Scope the CM for longer shots and put a closer-range optic on the 308 for closer work and busting up cover.

I have a couple of 6.5 Creedmoor bolts as well. They're just for long-range shooting. I sometimes think I should do a 6.5CM AR10 upper but haven't been able to talk myself into it. Just not sure 308 isn't better for a fighting gun. Maybe I'll do one someday. I think part of my problem is that I have 308 AR10s and 6.5 Grendel AR15s. I have enough useless, internal debate about whether there's a point in having both of those and the 6.5 CM AR idea just muddies the water in my already muddy brain.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

I'm not exactly an enthusiast, but I do truly love my M1A scout squad. It's definitely different than an AR - it feels different, it handles different , it's built different but it's not meant for the same role. I don't really think that it's meant for the role of what I would consider a sniper rifle either. It really feels balanced and, well, just perfect with a scout scope mounted forward on the picatinny rail.

I know that this is not often said of the m1a, but it just feels handy if not lightweight. I do hunt with it and I've taken four deer so far with it. The 10-round magazine is low profile and perfect for that application I've even thought about getting a flush fitting magazine for it making it even more Garand-like. I have stripper clips that fit it so I can and do feed it with stripper clips when just shooting at the range.

I don't know. Perhaps there's some nostalgia to it, perhaps it genuinely just has a different philosophy of use, or maybe I'm an idiot. I wouldn't sell mine.

Mine is in.308 for what it's worth.

I love my m14s. Got a 22" Loaded, has match upgrades, that will put 168s in an eyeball sized group at 300 all day long and bang a 10" gong all day long at 600. I moved it to an EBR stock and love it more. Hasher thinks it weighs a ton but it doesn't phase me lol. My socom 16 feels as light and nimble in my hands as my 8" .300 blk AR pistol does; the balance is perfect. Put a red dot and a walnut stock on it. Has Black Hawk Down vibes.

Scoping them isn't a big deal. It just costs more than an AR. Get a Sadlak or Smith Enterprises mount and call it good.

I don't have any experience with them in 6.5 though. Mine are .308.

20210403_193633.jpg
    Last edited by Dorkface; 06-06-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

Personally I don't care about 6.5 but as far as platforms in heavy metal, I've shot them all. I was fortunate to have a friend, who now works for Magpul, bring his collection out which were all tuned to the gills in .308. G3, AR10, FAL, M1A. The only one not there was a SCAR. Of all of them the M1A loaded felt the best and gave me the tightest group.

I have since tried a SCAR and put it down after the first round because I didn't want to love it enough to make the investment. It was that good. I settled my mind on the scout squad for the niche I was trying to fill but as mentioned above you still end up in the same price range customizing it for your particular tastes. Mine barely looks like an M1A anymore.

In summary I can't speak to the 6.5 but if that is your ammo choice for a semi auto I'd take the M1A over the AR

20220216_084824.jpg
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

[QUOTE=Dorkface;1999839]I love my m14s. Got a 22" Loaded, has match upgrades, that will put 168s in an eyeball sized group at 300 all day long and bang a 10" gong all day long at 600. I moved it to an EBR stock and love it more. Hasher thinks it weighs a ton but it doesn't phase me lol. My socom 16 feels as light and nimble in my hands as my 8" .300 blk AR pistol does; the balance is perfect. Put a red dot and a walnut stock on it. Has Black Hawk Down vibes.

Scoping them isn't a big deal. It just costs more than an AR. Get a Sadlak or Smith Enterprises mount and call it good.

I don't have any experience with them in 6.5 though. Mine are .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I dunno man. Those EBR stocks never set well with me.

It's like....your grandpa wearing skinny jeans or something. Just...not meant for an old man like this

What is weird is seeing an M1 Garand in an EBR stock lol.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015