Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    That is a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
    There comes a time in every man’s life when he is called upon to do something very special for which he and he alone has the capabilities, has the skills, and has the necessary training. What a pity if the moment finds the man unprepared. —Winston Churchill

That is quite an amazing piece of history that you have obtained. I am very happy for you :)
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Really nice find there. Definitely agree that you found a piece of gunsmithing history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

That is very cool, Paul. I'm not sentimental about my guns and consider almost all of them just tools to be used and modified as needed, but that is one I'd leave completely as-is and just find a good load for it, as it sounds like you're doing.

In my early years of learning reloading and then gunsmithing, I spent a lot of time reading PO Ackley's books, along with Keith's and a couple others like Ed McGivern, but Ackley had a huge influence on my rifle loading and gunsmithing development. As flawed as some of his claims were in his books, he was still a true pioneer in learning what can be done with custom rifles and a fascinating part of the history of rifles in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
    That is a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing.
    Glad I came upon this today.
    Congrats on a TERRIFIC find. Great piece with provenance. Very happy for you . ( with Envy)

I plan to use my Voere Titan ( KDF) .270 Win. & Leupold 4-14 , if not today … ( soon)
    The info. Came with it when new … H 4831 57.6 gr. Under a 130 gr. Sierra Spitzer ( not boat tail)
    Guaranteed MOA or better , 3 shots at 100yds. We’ll see if those loadings & older me can still do it.
    Last edited by CLEANDEAN; 06-03-2022 at 04:48 AM.
    30 characters exactly●★★ Scar 17s
    “Victory is Ever Fickle “, quote by Homer

Quote Originally Posted by CLEANDEAN View Post
    Glad I came upon this today.
    Congrats on a TERRIFIC find. Great piece with provenance. Very happy for you . ( with Envy)

I plan to use my Voere Titan ( KDF) .270 Win. & Leupold 4-14 , if not today … ( soon)
    The info. Came with it when new … H 4831 57.6 gr. Under a 130 gr. Sierra Spitzer ( not boat tail)
    Guaranteed MOA or better , 3 shots at 100yds. We’ll see if those loadings & older me can still do it.
    That is an excellent rifle and they shoot very nice! I normally use Berger bullets but for this rifle I am going to be shooting 130gr Sierra Gamekings with IMR4350. Ive used those in the past for other 270s with excellent results.

Holy Schnike! That is terrific. I would liken that to finding a once fired Swenson 45 from someone's sock drawer.
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    HITS - 3, 8/12/16
    CRG - 3, 8/13 - 8/14/16
    RGF - 2, 7/15 - 7/16/17
    CRG - 5, 7/7 - 7/8/18
    Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting, 10/12 - 10/13/19
    Advanced Kalashnikov Gunfighting 10/11 - 10/12/20
    TN/GA/AL Training Group

"40 shots rang out....40 people fell. Patti and the Killer missed each other, but they shot that town to Hell!"
    Cow Patti, Jim Stafford via Randy Harris

I had an almost identical PO Ackley stamped rifle in 25-06 AI. I loved that rifle. Wore out the barrel shooting metallic silhouette.

Quote Originally Posted by jesmith View Post
    I had an almost identical PO Ackley stamped rifle in 25-06 AI. I loved that rifle. Wore out the barrel shooting metallic silhouette.
    If you know who has that rifle there are companies instead of rebarreling the rifle can rebore it to larger caliber like 270, 280Rem, 280 AI or 30-06. You will get excellent accuracy and keep the original Ackley marked barrel.

I recall reading something about “thall shall not covet…”

Nice!