Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default A rifle by PO Ackley

To those of you unfamiliar with a Mr. Parker Otto Ackley, he is known as Americas Gunsmith. He has since passed on but this title has still stuck. Mr. Ackley was not above blowing up rifle actions and barrels to test just how far you could push the pressures on different cartridges. We have many of the amazing cartridges we have today thanks to the work he did over many decades. He developed the Ackley Improved catridges most notably of which was the .280 Ackley Improved which is still sold as a hunting/long range cartridge by several rifle manufacturers to this day. He helped create the gunsmithing school in Trinidad Colorado as well. Needless to say I am a huge fan of his work and he is one of the reasons i decided to be a gunsmith. Well recently i was able to buy one of Mr. Ackleys custom built rifles from the 1950s for an absolute steal. It is a Mauser action that has been rebarreled for 270win, the action has been worked on and it has an original Timney Trigger. 20220602_120138.jpg20220602_112907.jpg

Wow, that is one bad ass rifle. A true working bit of history.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

How will you scope it?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    How will you scope it?
    2PC BASE AND A LEUPOLD 3-9 VXR

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

That's classy. Congrats.
    Virtute et Armis

That is an awesome find and it has an original Timney Trigger. I don't think that rifle could have found a better owner.

Now the next question: to thread that barrel or not?
    "If you decide you can do something, you will." -Gabe, KWTL

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    That is an awesome find and it has an original Timney Trigger. I don't think that rifle could have found a better owner.

Now the next question: to thread that barrel or not?
    Definitely not on this one. It is a piece of gunsmithing history. Im going to scope it and leave it as is.

That's very cool Paul. I'm glad that rifle found its way to someone that appreciates it.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Please do share the accuracy of this tool, once you start dialing it in. I am truly curious about that (as long as the muzzle crown is good and the chamber throat is useful).
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Quote Originally Posted by KarlinPhoenix View Post
    Please do share the accuracy of this tool, once you start dialing it in. I am truly curious about that (as long as the muzzle crown is good and the chamber throat is useful).
    I will be working up handloads and testing the accuracy. The barrel looks brand new inside of it and the crown is perfect. It looks like it had less than 50rds through it and it was put in a safe and never used.