Default Killing Within the Law May 20-22

Where to start... This last Friday was my 16th wedding anniversary. My wife insisted that I go, after I had to reschedule the previous class, both because she knew I wanted too but also so I could bring the information back to share with her just in case. My wife is pretty amazing. In so many ways.

TL;DR version is: Shut up and take the class because its worth it.

If I were to give a micro statement about the class it would be "It demystifies what happens when the cops show up, explains the process, the motives of the cops and explains why you need to be your own advocate in explaining your actions in a way a lawyer that wasn't there never could."

Before taking this class I was pretty sure that after shooting a bad guy everything would work out. After all there's always news stories about people defending themselves and being ok afterwards. There was always a question of uncertainty and maybe a tiny bit of hesitation. It wouldn't have stopped me from razing the bad guy to the ground but I would be going into the after events blind and unsure. No longer. Gabe took us though the whole process, one he has been through more than once, and relayed that others had peer reviewed the material including judges.

Starting with calling 911 where you give a brief recount of what happened and who you to get the cops rolling to help any innocents and to be on the look out for you; the non bad guy and very much the victim. Once they show up their most likely courses of action were explained. How your involvement will either help or hinder your future and the likely course of events to follow. Being quiet and clutching your CCW insurance card isn't the best way to advocate for yourself. Unless your self destructive and think you could be popular in jail. I'd rather go home that night so I could get my wife cardio in.

The part that I wasn't looking forward to was the role play where you go through the whole process starting right after the last round is fired in a scenario you were surprised with. One the second day right after we talked about things it was pop quiz time. I choked so hard. lol. I rolled a natural 1 and got a critical fail. lol. I tried to build the scene, context, visualize the bad guys all at once and my brain blue screened. lol. Later that night I did a lot of practicing. Thinking about the gas station scenario I got earlier that day I discovered that if I just took elements from my day to day life and plugged them in then it took care of 99% of the practice. Setting it at the gas station I use all the time and a few other elements from my past it was cake. I am sure there is some actor or improve person screaming "DUH!!!!!" right now but I am not an actor and I have a face for radio. lol. Knowing that we were going to do everything from the 911 call all the way though the follow up interview I decided to take it and plug in stuff from my life into it.

So the next day I got an active shooter at the mall. I almost never go to the mall anymore unless my wife wants to go to the Coach or Michael Kors stores to buy a purse(s). I knew why I was at the mall and where I was going and I just used the floor plan from the mall by us. Easy. I did much much much better this time around lol. To the point where Marco gave me an inspiration die.

After taking this class all the fog of what will happen after burning the bad guys to the ground is gone. If anything the knowledge only bolsters confidence in shooting bad guys faces.

As usual class had a bunch of great people in it. Focused and motivated along with some great experience served to make things even more real and concrete. It was great to shake the hands of and meet the faces behind some of the screen names on here. There should be a few new members joining the tribe as a result of the class and I look forward to their participation. We will be better because of it.

This being the expanded class for 2022 there were two other sections. Dark Arts and Winning the life fight. So let me expand on them a little:

Dark Arts material:

*REDACTED*

Winning the life fight:

This section wasn't the most helpful to me due to who I am. lol. However I can say that the information contained in this section is excellent. Its 100% spot on and is a fantastic spring board for anyone looking to reach for their badass potential. If you want to cut the line on this section contact Gabe about his fitness program.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Where to start... This last Friday was my 16th wedding anniversary.
    Congrats dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post

The part that I wasn't looking forward to was the role play where you go through the whole process starting right after the last round is fired in a scenario you were surprised with. One the second day right after we talked about things it was pop quiz time. I choked so hard. lol. I rolled a natural 1 and got a critical fail. lol. I tried to build the scene, context, visualize the bad guys all at once and my brain blue screened. lol. Later that night I did a lot of practicing.

Everyone chokes on this to some degree unless they've done this a few times (either in training or "live").

The cool new thing Gabe did this time is he sucker-punches us with the 911 call. In the past we'd have a few minutes to write out the call. Which had its own merits but the great thing about this time is, we get that bit of adrenaline and stress. It may not be as "nice" but I think the class learns the material better in this realistic scenario. Just one example of how Gabe continually refines his circulum.

This is not a lecture, it is an interactive discussion. Students won't (or shouldn't) just sit there and listen. This class can evolve organically like knowledge-based discussion should.

This is my third time attending this class. Super simple reason. It's worth retaking.

Each time different questions spawn different side discussions. I believe I had about 12-13 pages of typed notes on my first KWTL. Second time through the total went up to 19 pages. Haven't typed up the latest notes but I expect at least 5+ pages of new material that wasn't covered before.

At my second KWTL, there was at least one retired LEO. This time at least two... that might be a clue on how relevant this material is...

Ambushing us like that was brilliant. It made me work the material that night more than I would have if I had had time to prepare. It will make my further practice just that much better too.

I suppose I could have thrown a fit and stormed off but that's not who I am and not the self image I have lol. When learning new skills its fine to fall flat on your face and fail.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

There are fundamental skills that all sentient humans should posses. One of those skills is how to Kill Within The Law. If the name “KWTL” offends the “modern sensibilities” it only serves to emphasize the need to take the class to understand what it is actually all about.

Knowledge isn’t gender exclusive any more than violence is gender exclusive. Bring the women in your life to KWTL. This class is among many other things about addressing and ultimately eliminating the hesitation caused by fear, caused by lack of knowledge.

Don’t let this lack of knowledge about the righteous justification of defending ones self and the legal processes that follow the event cause hesitation. Learn how to protect yourself and your loved ones. Learn how to communicate with 911. Police. Detectives. Go home. Live your life.

Lack of knowledge = Fear = Hesitation.

Hesitation beats. Hesitation kidnaps. Hesitation rapes. Hesitation kills.

Gabe Suarez KWTL saves.
    I pace the shallow sea, walking the time between, reflecting on the type of fossil Id like to be."

-Ann Zwinger

~**I Axolotl questions**~