Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I second Brent's recommendation: if I were perpetually seated, I would carry in a cross-draw holster.

While the wheelchair market isn't very big, I'm flipping back through the pages of life and realizing that this question has come up at least a half-dozen times for me. I'm surprised that no one has come up with a "wheelchair special" holster, at least on a made-to-order basis. If you reach out to anyone who bends Kydex, I'm sure they would make a holster specific to this need. Ideally, it would sit a bit higher than a normal cross-draw holster.

Where to carry spare mags also becomes a question, because you end up with all of the weight on one side. But you have the option of reducing mag weight by shifting a mag or two to the wheelchair itself. If you wanted to go full James Bond, you could add a ballistic panel beneath the seat cushion, so that you could go prone behind the toppled chair.
    Virtute et Armis

A few years back I set up a friend with this set up from Dara Holsters and RAM mount. He’s an amputee and only in his chair at home (he has prosthetic legs if he goes out) so concealment isn’t an issue, and he’s happy with it.

574A110E-21D6-4EB3-9BF8-DFA5261197EF.jpg
    LMTFA+
    ig: @SoCalAirPirate

“We knew not whither we were bound, not what we were to do;
    But we believed that the nearing future held for us many chances of hardship & death, of honor & renown.
    If we failed we would share the fate of all who failed;
    But we were sure that we would win.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt, The Rough Riders

”…except with a few intimates, those with whom I can share a reverence for the past, and an awareness of challenges to come.”
    ~Gen. Curtis E. LeMay, Mission With LeMay

When behind the wheel (or handlebars) my preference is OWB cross draw; especially so for longer times. Should work well in a chair, also.

Saddle bags....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    There are also horizontal driving holsters. I would still prefer a cross draw angle, but the horizontal might work well for you.
    opplanet-galco-jackass-rig-shoulder-system-fn-509-left-hand-premium-steerhide-finish-black-jr401.jpg
    (borrowed photo)

In a car or at the desk is where the horizontal shoulder rig shines. It takes bit of practice but can be useful and despite the naysayers even safe ... if that's a concern. ;)

During my Persian Gulf War deployment I took along several holsters for my 1911. A Safariland Yaqui slide for under my BDU blouse around the camp and in town, etc; a UM84 for my vintage ALICE belt and suspenders rig; and a Jackass shoulder rig for "just in case."

1909596_100803933268090_4186418_n.jpg

(Me)

Turned out I wore the Jackass rig quite a lot. Instead of hummers we were issued Jeep Cherokees and it was nigh impossible to wear our ALICE rigs. We constantly traveled up and down Tapline Road and through the desert ... some of the guys kept their weapons on their ALICE belt either in their lap or tossed in the back of the Cherokee. I was quite comfy and comforted with my shoulder holster, pistol on one side, two spare mags and a Gerber Guardian hanging upside down on the other. Very handy, always armed, even in the shitter.

Yes, we did "borrow" a couple of rifles for when TSHTF, but frankly we would have been better served with a modern GPS and some more durable off road vehicles.

not me.png
    (not me)

I'd originally gotten the Jackass for carrying under my coat during hunting season during my stint as a truck driver. Wore it around town for a few years -- it was the shiznit in the 80s -- but eventually dumped it for more practical options. I had no idea when I got it that I'd be wearing it to war.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 05-11-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I meant horizontal on the belt. “Driving holsters”
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I meant horizontal on the belt. “Driving holsters”

the-simpsons-nevermind.jpg
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    A little further down the rabbit hole. Wearing a Galco Classic Lite with P229 right now. Just the thing for working the dogs, running, or mowing the lawn--just in time to beat the rain.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:25

If I were in a chair, which I'm not, I'd want my hardware on my body for those times I might be unexpectedly thrown out of the chair. I'd want my hardware with me, not back at the chair!

John W in SC