Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Think about how much tougher this is if you're wearing your gun at 4:00, 8:00 or, God forbid, the small of your back.

Think about trying this in duty gear, including the getups.

And can you do a fast situp with kydex AIWB, or magazines on the front of the belt?

Consider the beneficial effects of magazine base pads and extensions, not to mention dehorning the carry gun.

Yep, it's easier when you're lighter.

And leaner.

This is where having lots of ammo and the will to shoot quickly and often are fundamental to staying in the fight and winning it.

Random thoughts after a long day.
    All good points. The more gear you have on your body, the more difficult it is.

This is another reason why I say that Diagonal Lines is the primary template for practice. We want to avoid the ground if we can...movement off the line of attack is what saves us.

Those of you who have done Force on Force training...you will instantly recognize the patterns from Diagonal Lines. But when doing FoF, how many times did you fall, or notice others falling? We normally stop the exercise when one has fallen...but that is where some of the skills of Changing Levels comes into play.

All three templates can be done with long guns. Sometimes a little modification is needed due to weapon specifics. As I recall, the full video includes me doing Changing Levels with a Stakeout.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    If you're physically large you can do this stuff too. You just have to be strong; To have the power to move yourself around.
    Strength and power are always an asset. More is better.

Looking strong and being strong is a great way to ensure bad people deselect you as a target. And of course being stronger makes you harder to kill. Perhaps most important, being strong throughout your life helps you win the Life Fight.

But in the moments of a gunfight...I think mobility is king. Mobility and strength are related but they are different qualities. I know lots of strong guys that aren't mobile, and lots of mobile guys that aren't that strong. Best to have both of course, but I think mobility is my biggest priority.

For those who don't know, Dorkface is one of those guys who combines strength and mobility. Watching him in FoF is an inspiration.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    But when doing FoF, how many times did you fall, or notice others falling? We normally stop the exercise when one has fallen...but that is where some of the skills of Changing Levels comes into play.
    During FoF when you were out here I clearly remember falling after I took off on a diagonal; Oddly the ground in the woods isn't flat and grass hides dips. That's when I instinctively tucked my shoulder, rolled while drawing and popped up on my feet. Then afterwards I cracked up because I just found a reason for the Combat Roll.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

During FoF when you were out here I clearly remember falling after I took off on a diagonal; Oddly the ground in the woods isn't flat and grass hides dips. That's when I instinctively tucked my shoulder, rolled while drawing and popped up on my feet. Then afterwards I cracked up because I just found a reason for the Combat Roll.
    Like so many other things, people misunderstand.

The roll can be use proactively for some things but it's not my first choice...and I'm pretty good at it.

Mostly, the roll is a reactive thing, an airbag. You don't PLAN on doing one, but you trip while moving and the roll is the most expedient way to protect yourself and get back to your feet. It's more useful than people give it credit for.
    Brent Yamamoto

Upcoming classes:

Full contact fighting was a striker's world before BJJ disrupted everything. Now that everyone has a ground game fighters are more adaptable. We want the same. Now when a fighter falls, we expect him to have a ground game. Moreover...we may develop drills that reinforce the ability to execute that when we bring back our FOF class in 2023.

Nobody wants to fuck with the tiger because he looks like he will rip your heart out and eat it. Whether he can move or not is not the point. The suggestion that he can is what dissuades. But...the time will come. So agreed...mobility AND agility are paramount.

Amd if you havent downloaded the video I would ask why not. The day will come that none of this exists any longer and you will be sad that you disnt take advantage of it when you could have.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    For those who don't know, Dorkface is one of those guys who combines strength and mobility. Watching him in FoF is an inspiration.
    You're far too kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Full contact fighting was a striker's world before BJJ disrupted everything. Now that everyone has a ground game fighters are more adaptable. We want the same. Now when a fighter falls, we expect him to have a ground game. Moreover...we may develop drills that reinforce the ability to execute that when we bring back our FOF class in 2023.

Nobody wants to fuck with the tiger because he looks like he will rip your heart out and eat it. Whether he can move or not is not the point. The suggestion that he can is what dissuades. But...the time will come. So agreed...mobility AND agility are paramount.

Amd if you havent downloaded the video I would ask why not. The day will come that none of this exists any longer and you will be sad that you disnt take advantage of it when you could have.
    Peoples perception is a funny thing. Yesterday at work an old Mexican truck driver was waiting while I was filling out his bills of lading and said "Were you a Sheriff? You look like a Sheriff. You scare me." and then chuckled. The day before that I was out on the sales floor and a cute Goth girl saw me and made a beeline, passing other coworkers, to ask me where a sprinkler part was and then started asking me about my piercings. I helped her decide to get an Industrial. lol.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

You're far too kind.

Peoples perception is a funny thing. Yesterday at work an old Mexican truck driver was waiting while I was filling out his bills of lading and said "Were you a Sheriff? You look like a Sheriff. You scare me." and then chuckled. The day before that I was out on the sales floor and a cute Goth girl saw me and made a beeline, passing other coworkers, to ask me where a sprinkler part was and then started asking me about my piercings. I helped her decide to get an Industrial. lol.
    Lol I still remember grabbing dinner during parents weekend in Ft. Collins
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Lol I still remember grabbing dinner during parents weekend in Ft. Collins
    HAHAHAHA that was fun. Sorry about ruining our chances of getting jumped in the alleys.

That also reminds me of another time when I fell in training. It was the drill you set up with the card table and folding chairs as an analogy to being out with friends to eat. I went to spring up, the chair caught and I went straight back flat on my back and still in the chair, like in this kata, and the drill doesn't stop just because I didn't do the perfect cool guy move so I got up as fast as I could and engaged my target.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

One thing...dont fixate on speed because you WILL injure yourself trying to attain it. Instead seek smooth movement...that will bring speed.

Remember the precept?.. Timing!!!
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Indeed. Speed is pretty useless if you don't have control.
    Geek Warlord

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015