Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default VERTICAL DISPLACEMENT

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Great info. I see a continuation, or advancement, of what Brent taught in our 0-5 Gunfighting classes years ago.

If I'm not mistaken there's video out there of Brent, Eric Tull and some other guy working on this with a SIRT pistol: vertical displacement with minimal lateral movement.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

This is so good to see this fully fleshed out and perfected. Can't wait to work on the CQB and Changing Directions rifle katas that Brent and I framed up pre-rona.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Thank you for this bad-ass hint of the whole training video. This is a big deal.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

Great video. Damn Brent is fast!
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    Great video. Damn Brent is fast!
    I hit rewind several times to watch his feet to see exactly what he's doing; even on half speed it's still hard to catch it. Of course that's the point, when it really matters, and yeah Brent is fast.

Just a thought for future videos, Suarez dudes - some slow motion footage of Brent's footwork in this video would add to it's value. (Maybe it's in your full video, I haven't had a chance to dive in to that, and I fully understand not giving away everything for free.)

Think about how much tougher this is if you're wearing your gun at 4:00, 8:00 or, God forbid, the small of your back.

Think about trying this in duty gear, including the getups.

And can you do a fast situp with kydex AIWB, or magazines on the front of the belt?

Consider the beneficial effects of magazine base pads and extensions, not to mention dehorning the carry gun.

Yep, it's easier when you're lighter.

And leaner.

This is where having lots of ammo and the will to shoot quickly and often are fundamental to staying in the fight and winning it.

Random thoughts after a long day.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:28

If you're physically large you can do this stuff too. You just have to be strong; To have the power to move yourself around.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

I don't recall that we did any slow-mo takes on the video. But you should buy it anyway because there's a lot of good material there. I've spoken many times about the value of kata so I won't reiterate it here. I've been studying and reverse-engineering kata almost from the beginning...what I would have paid for a few minutes time from those who created the kata I've been practicing for so long.

There are no secrets...the material is there for all to see. But this is a physical language and sometimes that language must be interpreted in order to understand it. I honestly believe that practicing the three templates that Gabe and I put together (with much feedback and contributing ideas from Ted and Greg) provide 80% of what one needs for a reactive, close range gunfight. Applying this practice to force on force and live fire training will give you the next 20%.

I've said many times that if you're only going to practice one thing, it should be Diagonal Lines. The principles are baked into it, the movement patterns are universal and easily applied.

Watch Your Back builds on everything from Diagonal Lines but adds another degree of difficulty. The takeoffs are a bit more challenging, and starting with a bad guy behind you is an inherently more challenging problem. These takeoffs can be applied to Diagonal Lines by the way, so the two really complement each other. And depending how one performs the takeoff, there are also elements of vertical displacement.

Changing Levels is the most phyically challenging. It takes the concept of vertical displacement and puts it on steroids. I often tell my karate students that therels much value in practicing kata at a super slow pace...going slow, you MUST get things right. Moving fast can hide a variety of sins.

In rifle class last weekend, I complemented one of the students during live fire of rifle transfers. While many of the students who'd never done these transfers rushed through the exercise trying to show how fast they were (resulting in pretty sloppy transfers), Karl performed the exercies slowly and very deliberatly. He did it PERFECT, and he will be much, much better as a result. Speed will come later...first comes a mental and phyical understanding of the movement and that is best learned slow.

On that note...

Adjust the playback speed. Click the gear at the bottom of the screen, then select a slower speed.

Capture.JPG
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas