Thread: TACTICS

Default TACTICS

DF63BAD8-D29F-4B65-9EB8-43BFB148082A.jpg

Tactics is defined as the art of maneuvering against an opponent and toward a specific objective. Tactics is a mental exercise expressed physically. And shooting is the culmination of that expression. The under achiever gun person might question the need for tactics, but tactics are what will prevent them from being shot without warning, or from placing themselves in a poor position at the start of the fight...or during.

Tactics has three phases - like the gunfight itself...and in many ways is like an additional veneer that is added on top. The "before" tactics can encompass positioning, 360 degree awareness, movement through an area or toward an objective. The "during" tactics involve timing, relative positioning, and use of obstacles to aid in moving and or holding in place. Both of these are largely active things where the body and mind are connected and the body is expressing physically what the mind is reading and analyzing.

Tactics after the fight involves much of the KWTL material and again positioning and expressing the message you wish to deliver. So while the first two are largely physical in nature, the last one is largely communicative in nature.

Don't mistake tactics and strategy. Strategy is an overall plan of action with a stated objective. Tactics are he ways and means of physically carrying out that strategy. This is an area that the vast majority of the gun world either ignores or likes to ridicule because they simply have never been in a position to use it, and have no idea of how tactics are applied.

Tactics is an art and not a science. Tactics are formed from a sound strategy applied to a given environment. There are salient conceptual points in tactics that apply universally. Things like watching the doors and the corners for example. But there are no formulas for tactics like there are for the sniper world. There is no way to score tactics like a sporting event.

A man with great tactics can get away with not being a great shot...but a great shot will still die at the hands of a neophyte if his tactics put him in a poor position. Where do you learn tactics? Certainly not on the timed runs of a sporting field. That crowd is so concerned with speed and scores, that their tactics are suitable only for that artificial world. Tactics are learned in a classroom from someone that has lived what they are now teaching, and secondarily on a dry (no gunfire) venue with facsimilies of doors, corners, and hallways. As well in a parking lot with parked vehicles, or a large warehouse, or anything that safely and realistically replicates the real world.

A proper tactics class is not an entertainment class with 5,000 rounds fired under the watchful and validating eye of Mickey Mouse. A proper tactics class has zero gunfire...or at best some force on force work to proof test the concepts learned.

If you are interested in learning the most important stuff you will ever learn in terms of your safety and success in a confrontation large or small...you will find that in the study of tactics.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Perfectly stated Maestro.

Great pic from an EXCEPTIONAL class as well.

After 25 years in LE/SWAT, several (still) moonlighting in EP, and LOTS of classes/training with LOTS of “those people”; that and Pistol Groundfighting were the best and most important gunfighting class I have ever attended.

EVER.

Once the fundamental mechanics of the deployment and use of the Red/Green dot pistol are trained to habitual instinct, your Kata-based FoF, Pistol Groundfighting, and KWTL are the Holy Trinity (Triquetra) of gunFIGHTING.

Looking forward to begin back out there in a few weeks for KWTL.
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Complete Pistol Gunfighter
    Force on Force
    Killing within the Law
    Pistol Groundfighting

Funny, I was just watching Mike Tyson demo some of his peek a boo tactics, which utilizes outpacing your opponent’s OODA loop.

Looked remarkably similar to the image above.

;)
    "He who can handle the quickest rate of change survives."

-Col John Boyd

"Only he is lost who gives himself up for lost"

-Hans-Ulrich Rudel

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Innocenti View Post
    Perfectly stated Maestro.

Great pic from an EXCEPTIONAL class as well.

After 25 years in LE/SWAT, several (still) moonlighting in EP, and LOTS of classes/training with LOTS of “those people”; that and Pistol Groundfighting were the best and most important gunfighting class I have ever attended.

EVER.

Once the fundamental mechanics of the deployment and use of the Red/Green dot pistol are trained to habitual instinct, your Kata-based FoF, Pistol Groundfighting, and KWTL are the Holy Trinity (Triquetra) of gunFIGHTING.

Looking forward to begin back out there in a few weeks for KWTL.
    That was an OUTSTANDING FOF class in October 2018 pictured above...(I am not one of the main combatants, just blurry in the background getting my gear ready for the next exercise.)

Intro and drills on Diagonal Lines, then FOF of Diagonal Lines to prove the concepts. Watch Your Back and Changing Elevation was introduced in it's very early stages, if I recall correctly.

I also enjoyed the recent Pistol Optics Class in Prescott - learned a ton even having taken the class before.

I eagerly look forward to the 2023 training schedule!

Suggestion for the next FOF class: now that video instruction of the 3 katas mentioned above is available online, I would suggest making it a prerequisite for students to study and practice those 3 katas prior to showing up for class. This would allow for a quicker review and practice of the katas, and more FOF testing of the concepts. Just my 2 cents.

As is said in the fighter pilot world, “ flying is the easy part, employing the weapon system is the hard part.” In this case, shooting is the easy part and employing the weapon system is the hard part. Employment of the mind, body and weapon (weapon system) is the study and application of tactics. Train with Suarez International to be a much better fighter.
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

LMTFA+

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Fire & Maneuver to the objective, on the objective, from the objective.

A predator mindset is a huge advantage. A predator understands the nature of both prey and predator knowing that he can be both at the same time...hunted while hunting.
    Paul

America First
    Anti Globalist

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    A proper tactics class is not an entertainment class with 5,000 rounds fired under the watchful and validating eye of Mickey Mouse. A proper tactics class has zero gunfire...or at best some force on force work to proof test the concepts learned.
    I wish more people could be convinced of this. A large number of people believe that you can't learn anything without producing a big pile of spent brass.

In one of Greg's CQB classes a few years back, we had planned for two days of dry work and then one day of live fire. At the close of day two, we all voted unanimously to keep working dry. It was so much more informative that way. Sadly, it seems to require an ammo shortage to get many people to see the wisdom in this.
    Virtute et Armis