Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    It was the only thing I had to get used to when I ran one was sight orientation, because it changes with irons to red dot. Once you get your draw down red dot is a shit ton easier and faster to pick up on target then a front sight. That’s what makes it better, IMO....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Lets continue.

One question....do you need to see - or perhaps better...focus on...both dot and irons TOGETHER for this to work?

No. Recently I've been running an XM177E2 clone in drills. I put a see-through carry handle picatinny adaptor and red dot on it. I just know that if my dot doesn't appear, I need to transition to irons. It works fine.

ETA: And if I'm pretty close, within 20yds, I can make hits anyways. Even if I can't see my optic or iron sights.
    Last edited by H60DoorGunner; 03-29-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    In reguards to rifles it seems to be personal preferance. I prefer to use iron through the physical lower part of the optic. I just have to tuck my chin down to normal position for irons and when using the dot I can get better visibility. No biggie since each is zeroed on their own. With handguns the mounting options are much more limited and by the nature of it the irons take up more space.

Its also worth noting that depending on the irons the dot might not sit right on top of the front sight. With irons set up for 6 oclock hold it will but with down into the sight some if they are meant for POA.
    Not what I was talking about. Some people seem to think that a lower 1/3 co-witness means irons are lined up at the bottom of the window, while the dot is in the center. This is wrong, and means the dot and irons are zeroed for different POI. That part should not be personal preference, it's just a misunderstanding.

As for whether you use full or 1/3 cowitness correctly, that's personal preference but not the point of discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Not what I was talking about. Some people seem to think that a lower 1/3 co-witness means irons are lined up at the bottom of the window, while the dot is in the center. This is wrong, and means the dot and irons are zeroed for different POI. That part should not be personal preference, it's just a misunderstanding.

As for whether you use full or 1/3 cowitness correctly, that's personal preference but not the point of discussion here.
    Wait... what? You mean that they keep their head in the same spot and zero them that way? That makes my head hurt. There's no way that would work.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    Wait... what? You mean that they keep their head in the same spot and zero them that way? That makes my head hurt. There's no way that would work.
    Of course it doesn't work. But there's a surprising amount of people (mostly on other gun forums) who think it's supposed to work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Of course it doesn't work. But there's a surprising amount of people (mostly on other gun forums) who think it's supposed to work that way.
    I have never see that one. wow. No wonder I was on a different page lol.

25679865.jpg
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG
    CRG-2 CRG again
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 TASI
    HRO-6 CQB Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 TASI 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)
    Killing Within The Law

TWOTU since May 2015

The majority of the so called gun community are made up of lunatics and mouth breathers. A very small 5% are actually successful killers...or can do killers. I think most are here.

Then again the same can becsaid about the martial arts community, the off road community, bodybuilding community, the ... oh hell...you getvit...most peoplexare just stupid meat bags.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Yes.

Most people are stupid.

That is one of MY core precepts. And something I keep in mind when reading or listening to anyone, be it online, in person, tv, radio, etc. I assume they are at least below average intelligence (which is a pretty low bar) until their words or actions prove otherwise. It weeds out a lot of fluff.

With the full, you can easily tell if one of your sight methods has been bumped out of alignment by flipping the iron sights up and checking. Actually same goes with the regular fixed. Dot should sit on top of the front sight.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Quote Originally Posted by Redbug View Post
    With the full, you can easily tell if one of your sight methods has been bumped out of alignment by flipping the iron sights up and checking. Actually same goes with the regular fixed. Dot should sit on top of the front sight.
    That's the same whether it's a full cowitness, lower 1/3, or anything else. That is my point above.

If the sights and dot are zeroed to the same point, you can ALWAYS verify dot zero when the sights are aligned as long as you have any sort of cowitness at all. It doesn't matter where the sights sit relative to the glass in that regard.
    Also, our red dot Glocks are pretty much always a very low cowitness, you could call it lower 1/3 but that's an AR thing as Gabe said and the term is pretty much irrelevant to pistols.