Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OBSERVATIONS FROM LAST WEEKEND'S CLASS

20220327_133358.jpg

First time at the new venue in Chino. Its a nice range but has its issues that we need to work around. No big deal though. Class was a whopping 23 students...bigger than I prefer but I didn't want to turn anyone away given what we may be facing soon.

Observations in no particular order.

1). Over half the class were running Holosuns. They held up just as we4ll as the RMRs. No optic we4nt down other than a Type 1 Trijicon windage dial.

2). Green is very easy...did I say very easy? It is very easy to see under all conditions and far more so than the red.

3). There is a Chevron Holosun out there...I looked at it. Its OK, but I still prefer the dot. I don't believe that the chevron adds much benefit...and specially not the outer circle.

4). Where the dot appears in your window is not important...what is important is where the dot appears on target.

5). There is a continuum of visual focus and we experimented with the various options. You do not always keep both eyes open nor always close the non-dominant eye...it all depends.

6). Grip and trigger are always the same...sometimes you just do the deed faster.

7). Comps are like cheating...(evil smile emoji)

8). Hitting steel at 100 yards, silently is very cool.

9). Having back up irons that are zeroed to the exact same place as the dot is an essential element. You should have one common zero. I am amazed some disagree.

10). When you see the dot the irons are there and when you see the irons the dot is there.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

As I said in the AAR, this was a great class with a lot of good people. Learned a lot!
    Life is dangerous, be dangerouser

Great notes on the class. Good news on the Holosuns, too.

An RMR windage dial failed? Is there a description of the problem so we know what to look for? Did it just "not work" or go loose or what?

For example, I had a Viridian laser on a gun I purchased, elevation failed and the thing would not dial in to zero at all. Viridian sent a replacement, it went Tango Uniform, so I returned the gun for a refund. Not exactly the same, but analogous.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

I’ve had two RMRs fail. Both had the dot spontaneously wander way off target and could not be readjusted. One was also accompanied by a sort of cloudburst of little red fuzzy dots all over the screen. I’ve also had an Aimpoint T1 fail. I don’t now think they’re garbage, but I do question the reality of the quality gap between the “top tier” red dots and the “lesser” products.

I’m glad the new range worked out well.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I’ve had two RMRs fail. Both had the dot spontaneously wander way off target and could not be readjusted. One was also accompanied by a sort of cloudburst of little red fuzzy dots all over the screen. I’ve also had an Aimpoint T1 fail. I don’t now think they’re garbage, but I do question the reality of the quality gap between the “top tier” red dots and the “lesser” products.

I’m glad the new range worked out well.
    I've never had the cloudburst, but I've personally experienced 4 RMRs lose zero. The dot was where it was supposed to be, took the shot, and the dot jumped to another spot in the window. Readjusted so it was co-witnessed...same result.

Just going by feel, the Holosun adjustment knobs feel stiffer and more secure. And I've not had that issue happen with any of my Holosuns. (though to be fair I have a lot more rounds through the Trijicons).
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Zen View Post
    An RMR windage dial failed? Is there a description of the problem so we know what to look for? Did it just "not work" or go loose or what?
    it wouldn't maintain zero. after adjustment, a couple shots would be fired and the dot would shift. something we see maybe one out of four classes

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I bet he picked up point shooting pretty quick....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    it wouldn't maintain zero. after adjustment, a couple shots would be fired and the dot would shift. something we see maybe one out of four classes
    WITH TRIJICON RMR. NEVER SEEN T WITH A HOLOSUN...INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    Wow. That's a much higher failure rate than I would have expected. Assuming 20 students in a class, and half running an RMR, that's a 2.5% failure rate. (There's a lot of assumption in that statistic, so don't read too much into it.)

I shoot enough to see things break. Whenever I hear someone say something like, "Glocks never break," I conclude that they are a very low-volume shooter who just doesn't know any better. But I also know that my shooting habit isn't genuinely "high volume." I really like getting data from people who get to be around lots of guns and see how all of the equipment does when it's really putting in work. I remember for a while we had someone contributing who worked at a machine gun rental range in Vegas, where they tracked the round count and maintenance on all of the guns in a very scientific way. Data like that is useful and difficult to come by.
    Virtute et Armis

This is the observation that stands out most to me. So many within the gun world (and other martial disciplines) have "one size fits all" thinking. "This is how you do it, in all circumstances, without variation"

5). There is a continuum of visual focus and we experimented with the various options. You do not always keep both eyes open nor always close the non-dominant eye...it all depends.

Point shooting, focus on the target, focus on the dot/sights, eyes open/one eye closed...these are all the right choice under the right circumstances. It's not complicated but it does require a larger and more open view than I think many are willing to adopt.

It's weird to me that people want one-size fits all answers to things like verifying point of aim, but buy into different fixes based on malfunction type (just for one example). Exactly backwards, IMO.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas