Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Student's pistol shot for zero so didnt change HIS reticle. Still prefer dot over chevron for a pistol
    I get it. But worth noting for future reference that turning off the circle doesn't change zero of the chevron.

I have used Aimpoint T1 and T2 for many years with great results. A green Holosun AEMS arrived from SI last night. There is a lot to like with this new optic.

The AEMS and it's mount is much lighter than the Aimpoint and aftermarket mount (3.9 oz vs 7.0 oz in my scale). The viewing window is almost twice as large as the Aimpoint. The larger window is helpful when acquiring targets while in awkward positions. This is the first green reticle that I have used and it is brilliant. It seems like I can adjust the intensity one or two clicks lower than a red dot. Even in the bright sunshine, the green dot was easy to see against the distant tree line. Then there is the price: AEMS @ $430, the T2 is almost $800, plus another $80 to $100 for a QD mount. Yes, lots to like.

I was initially concerned with the non-QD mount from Holosun. Using QD mounts from makers like American Defense, Midwest Industries, etc for fighting rifles has been a common practice, which I have used for Aimpoints and ACOG and LPVO scopes.

A while back, I got a Holosun clone of the Aimpoint T2 and was disappointed. The bottom of the Holosun "T2" is 1/4" taller than the Aimpoint. This resulted in the optic too tall to co-witness with iron sights when using a QD mount. So, I moved that unit with the non-QD mount onto to a .22 rifle, which does cowitness with irons and has been reliable.

Now I am starting to question the conventional wisdom of QD mounts. Red/green dot optics are so prolific and highly reliable. So, why the extra expense and weight of the QD mounts?
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

Quote Originally Posted by Popshot View Post
    I have used Aimpoint T1 and T2 for many years with great results. A green Holosun AEMS arrived from SI last night. There is a lot to like with this new optic.

The AEMS and it's mount is much lighter than the Aimpoint and aftermarket mount (3.9 oz vs 7.0 oz in my scale). The viewing window is almost twice as large as the Aimpoint. The larger window is helpful when acquiring targets while in awkward positions. This is the first green reticle that I have used and it is brilliant. It seems like I can adjust the intensity one or two clicks lower than a red dot. Even in the bright sunshine, the green dot was easy to see against the distant tree line. Then there is the price: AEMS @ $430, the T2 is almost $800, plus another $80 to $100 for a QD mount. Yes, lots to like.

I was initially concerned with the non-QD mount from Holosun. Using QD mounts from makers like American Defense, Midwest Industries, etc for fighting rifles has been a common practice, which I have used for Aimpoints and ACOG and LPVO scopes.

A while back, I got a Holosun clone of the Aimpoint T2 and was disappointed. The bottom of the Holosun "T2" is 1/4" taller than the Aimpoint. This resulted in the optic too tall to co-witness with iron sights when using a QD mount. So, I moved that unit with the non-QD mount onto to a .22 rifle, which does cowitness with irons and has been reliable.

Now I am starting to question the conventional wisdom of QD mounts. Red/green dot optics are so prolific and highly reliable. So, why the extra expense and weight of the QD mounts?
    If you use a full co-witness Aimpoint T2 mount on a Holosun, it becomes a lower 1/3 co-witness mount due to the added height. I'm betting your Aimpoint mount was already a lower 1/3, and therefore too tall for the Holosun.

I've been using a couple American Defense full co-witness QD mounts on my Holosun sights with good success. Although I've never needed to detach them other than in the shop, so I guess I can't really answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    If you use a full co-witness Aimpoint T2 mount on a Holosun, it becomes a lower 1/3 co-witness mount due to the added height. I'm betting your Aimpoint mount was already a lower 1/3, and therefore too tall for the Holosun.

I've been using a couple American Defense full co-witness QD mounts on my Holosun sights with good success. Although I've never needed to detach them other than in the shop, so I guess I can't really answer your question.
    That is a good observation and true. I use lower 1/3 mounts for Aimpoint micros. I wanted to try a Holosun micro because it is the same footprint as the Aimpoint. The inability to use the same height mount was initially disappointing. Since going with the factory supplied non-QD mount, the Holosun micro has been flawless and the QD feature may not be as important as I had thought.

Holosun has made small improvements to existing designs for a good price. With the AEMS, Holosun demonstrates, even further, that innovation is their forte.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9