Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    49,597

    Default HOLOSUN 507/508: I WAS READY TO HATE IT

    holosun-125__25135.1579625963.jpg

    I was ready to hate it. Even though its features were very compelling. Even thought its company was far easier for a dealer to work with than Trijicon. And even though it had the same footprint as the RMR. It had the chinese stigma after all. But as a professional man-at-arms, I have to go with what is best, regardless of who made it. That was a position I learned long ago. Politics, religion, and "personal likes" have no place here. As Musashi said, one should not have a favorite weapon. To plagiarize...one should not have a favorite pistol optic if it causes you to disregard better options.

    And so it is with the Holosun. The straw that pushed me over the edge, and away from Trijicon was this last weekend. I was teaching the ever controversial Killing WIthin The Law class and during a break the students talked about the AR pistol, and what I used. I had an AR pistol...a 7.5" assembled by the Gunsmith Staff and I kept it in my vehicle. I usually leave it on and it had been there for three months. The last time I ran it was before Thanksgiving and I placed in its holding area with the optic on when I was done. I was sick with the Rona over the holidays and have been otherwise too busy to shoot (yeah...business is business). Since I do not garage my ride that optic had been subjected to a lengthy "ON" period and to freezing temps overnight for several weeks.

    I should note that previously I had two RMRs come out of my safe totally dead from the cold...with relatively new batteries.

    As I pulled the AR from its bag I told the students that the optic might be off because it has been so cold and explained the importance of back up sights, but to my delight, the bright green dot was right there when I shouldered the AR. I think I have reached a point of decision where I can comment. In my opinion, the Holosun is a better product that the Trijicon RMR.

    Am I going to put all of my RMRs on sale at gunbroker? No...but severla new projects for which I had RMRs set aside will be getting 507/508 Holosuns instead. In particular I like the added benefits of the dormant feature that may have been responsible for the optic still functioning. The solar power feature...is an ingenious thing that I suspect Trijicon will inevitably emulate at some point when they can steer the behemoth vessel back into modern waters. And the green dot reticle. A little more on that.

    I have found that the green appears brighter at all settings that the red...and across the board with Holosuns as well as Trijicons. The idea that green will not be a good choice in green environments was proved false when I took the green Holosun out in the spring. Yes its green...like the foliage, but even Stevie wonder could discern dot from background very easily and sharply.

    I have since read studies that show green is actually easier for the human eye to pick up. Case in point...the tritium elements in your sights, your watch face, and vehicle dials (non digital) are likely green and not red. Moreover, I am not sure why, and will have to study it better is that the green doesn't seem to distort with astigmatism (which I still have in my left eye).

    Like true capitalists, we will sell both...but if you were to ask me which one I prefer...you have your answer.



    HOLOSUN OPTICS
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    AR15ONA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post

    Like true capitalists, we will sell both...but if you were to ask me which one I prefer...you have your answer.

    Thanks for your nod to Holosun. It says a lot cause all of us here hate the ccp. F*cking birds...


    Is the 507/508 the outlier in Holosun's lineup for reliability or is it the norm? Considering more optics in the future and will obviously be ordering from the shop.


    In regards to the visibility of green to the human eye, the theory is green sits in the middle of the visible light spectrum whereas red and violet on the ends.


    Quick scientific explanation:
    https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/SusanZhao.shtml

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    49,597
    Thanks for the link.
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar01 View Post
    Thanks for your nod to Holosun. It says a lot cause all of us here hate the ccp. F*cking birds...


    Is the 507/508 the outlier in Holosun's lineup for reliability or is it the norm? Considering more optics in the future and will obviously be ordering from the shop.


    In regards to the visibility of green to the human eye, the theory is green sits in the middle of the visible light spectrum whereas red and violet on the ends.


    Quick scientific explanation:
    https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/SusanZhao.shtml
    I have 6 Holosuns, 3 pistol optics and 3 rifle. All are near or at the top of Holosun's range in their particular category, and all have been excellent. I have a 507c, a 508t, a 507k, a Hs515gm, a He515gt, and a He530g. All have been flawless and none of them have been babied. I hate to say it, but Holosun has become my go to red dot.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Beyond The Wall
    Posts
    49,597
    Dont hate to say the truth...it is the truth

    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I have 6 Holosuns, 3 pistol optics and 3 rifle. All are near or at the top of Holosun's range in their particular category, and all have been excellent. I have a 507c, a 508t, a 507k, a Hs515gm, a He515gt, and a He530g. All have been flawless and none of them have been babied. I hate to say it, but Holosun has become my go to red dot.
    Gabriel Suarez

    Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

    Suarez International USA Headquarters

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Dont hate to say the truth...it is the truth
    Roger that!
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    272
    Holoson have creeped onto my guns. I put a HS407K on my G48 back in 2020 and it has worked without missing a beat. I put a HS507K on my kids gun because I was too cheep to buy him a RMR. It works wonderfully and slowly added more to include my guns. Not having to remove the optic to change the battery is a big step up.

    If you look at SHOT show this year what innovation did you see from Trijicon? Zero. Holoson was innovating like crazy. The SCS is way ahead. Solar only. Mounts direct to MOS without a plate. No suppressor sights required.
    Last edited by GhostRidder; 02-21-2022 at 06:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    3,321
    I started with the MD-ADS (which is a Primary Arms branded Holosun) about 5-ish years ago and now have a pile of Holosun red dots - mainly 507c for the pistols and 403b for the rifles, another showed up in the mail today in fact. I've had really good results with them, even the one on my 460 S&W revolver. IMO they seem to operate with the pirate mindset Gabe often talks about; IMO they were smart to use the RMR footprint with a more modern product, and have taken a decent chunk of the market from Aimpoint's H & T series red dots as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Texas
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRidder View Post
    If you look at SHOT show this year what innovation did you see from Trijicon? Zero. Holoson was innovating like crazy. The SCS is way ahead. Solar only. Mounts direct to MOS without a plate. No suppressor sights required.
    ^^^This x1000. Trijicon’s design team is stuck in the 1990s, while Holosun is innovating like crazy. Replacing the battery in a Holosun is way easier as well, since it doesn’t require removing it from the slide (and having to reconfirm zero). In certain hostile environments, one may not have the luxury of reconfirming a zero. Another reason to strongly consider the Holosun over an RMR.
    “This is no time for ease and comfort. It is the time to dare and endure.” - Churchill

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South-Central Idaho
    Posts
    3,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy04 View Post
    ....Replacing the battery in a Holosun is way easier as well, since it doesn’t require removing it from the slide (and having to reconfirm zero). In certain hostile environments, one may not have the luxury of reconfirming a zero. Another reason to strongly consider the Holosun over an RMR.
    Amen! If I had it to do over, all of my Glocks would be wearing Holosuns!
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •