Default EOTech Vudu 1-10

Hello Gentlemen,
    I am currently searching for an LVPO.
    The Vudu 1-10 seemed a good candidate. Ive checked it, however in a very well lit environment and I have little experience with scopes as I have mostly used red dots and magnifiers.
    The main advantages I see:
    -low weight and small size considering it's 10x
    -crisp 65 MOA circle and dot on 1x
    -FFP

Link just for reference:
    https://www.eotechinc.com/eotech-vudu-1-10x28-ffp

Since I have little experience with scopes but know a small diameter can lead to problems in low light conditions and little image detail/clarity on large magnification I wanted to consult with you first, before "pulling the trigger".
    Have a good Sunday!

While I have not handled this scope, only looked at the specs, I see that the eye box is quite small. If you have all the time in the world, this situation is a non-issue. However, if this scope is to be used on a dangerous game/social tool, the time it takes to engage may be of importance. Also, it looks like the center of the aiming point is not centered in the optic, this may be a factor (or not). Looks like a well-made scope.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll'), RS Class 5-78
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School, KWTLx4, Red Dot Pistol Gunfighting, RGF-1 Rifle Gunfighting

LVPO trade vs Aimpoint/Eotech is a less forgiving eye box and the red dot is not as bright. I own Trijicon VCOGs and have shot the Eotech you reference and the Vortex Razor, Night Force ATACR and Leupold Mark 6. You really have to experience them yourself to figure out what works for you. They all have different tradeoffs and it a case of what works best for your eyes in your environment.

For me the ordering is ATACR, VCOG, Razor, Mark 6 then Eotech.

The ECLAN is also worth looking at. That would be my number one pick if the logistics of the scope were not so bad.

A small diameter tube really doesn’t have much effect on light gathering, despite that myth being so popular. What it effects most is adjustability. You have fewer mils or MOA of adjustment. Depending on your gun, you may need 10-12 mils of drop to get to 1,000m. If your scope only has 15 total mils of vertical movement, and you end up in the middle of that when zeroed, then you only have 7.5 mils of adjustment left. For a dialer, this can be extremely limiting. It would mean that you may only be able to dial out to 700y or so. But for a set-it-and-forget-it scope, a small tube isn’t a deal-breaker. And for a rifle whose role is 0-600, it’s a non-issue.
    Virtute et Armis

What rifle and what is the purpose of it? That could answer a lot of questions. If it’s a carbine and you are intending on running it off the reticle instead of dialing which is what I’m assuming with a lpvo. All you have to makes sure of is that there is enough run out in the redicle to get to you desired distance.
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

As far as the eotech, check out some reviews online about clarity and check out the reticles. That’s always a deciding factor for me....

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...1-8x-ar-scopes

Check out that one too. There are lots of good options even on the lower end. Scope quality has changed quite a bit in the last 10 years or so....

Thanks for the great advice.

Ive read through this threat as well, Chad.
    So what I take from it, is technology has taken a leap and even mid-tier optics now are good options.

Concerning your question:
    Its going to be mounted on a general purpose rifle in .223 or maybe later .308 -->16 to 18 inch barrel.

Since (due to legal regulations) I will not have an extensive collection and will only buy a few optics, quality rather than price is the main point for me.
    However, I am going to use it for a long time and see two factors:
    -Premium now, might be overtaken by medium in the future, so cost-efficiency is not irrelevant
    -After a certain quality level in most products, spending e.g. 100% more will not yield a significant increase in quality factors

When researching earlier, I also found the NF ATACR to be the best, but in my area Id probably have to pay the equivalent of 4000 USD for it + 300-400 for a scope mount.
    Only in case it is a huge margin better than all other options, I might consider it.
    The Vudu and the VCOG, which seems to be an interesting option as well, are about half that (with a scope mount for the vudu included).

GhostRidder, may I ask, why you prefer the VCOG over the Vudu?
    Can you give some insights on pros and cons?
    Are there differences in the eye box/ eye relief on both?

Unfortunately, most shops do not have them in stock and would only order it on request.
    (I want to avoid looking at it and then possibly have the shop go through the trouble of sending it back or "sitting on it" until someone wants to buy it. So I have to go by reviews and recommendations.)
    Then usually its not possible to test it on a range or in varying environments where you really see the practical differences.
    From what I could see, the vudu as I looked at it handheld in a well-lit room works through the whole magnification range.

Edit
    Ive tried the ELCAN and like it, but I think 4x is too low for my purpose (and preference).
    Last edited by That Guy; 07-27-2022 at 03:32 AM.

I’ve only “sampled” them, but I kind of liked the NX8 over the ATACR. On paper, the ATACR wins handily. But the smaller form factor of the NX8 makes it very appealing to me. With a good mount, the NX8 will probably go just over $2k.
    Virtute et Armis

I'll just say that high zoom factor LPVOs all suffer from a very tight eyebox as you approach higher magnification. Unfortunately there's really no way around it, physics being physics and all, unless one goes to something like a 40mm tube. Both the ATACR and the NX8 suffer from this, as does the Razor 1-10. The ATACR is better, but still not good, IMO.

You're much better off with a 1-6, or a 2-12 with an offset red dot if you really need the top end. Mission drives gear. Choose accordingly.

Hopefully Yondering will be around shortly to shed some more light.
    You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you. -Augustine