Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No authority but excellence.

A phrase I picked up while reading. It speaks to me.

What does it mean to you?
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I like it.

It speaks to me about the truth being in what you practice, not what you preach.

I dig that a lot. I interpret it as reflecting an unapologetic search for truth, not caring where you find it; only that you find it and that it moves you closer to your goal of perfection.
    ...Knowing is often a Barrier to Learning...

Sounds good. Excellence can never really be achieved as one can always improve- but it is the ultimate goal!
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

To me, it means that the goal of excellence is the ultimate authority to improve myself, my skills, my standard of living, or my station in life. If I am constantly trying to improve under the authority of excellence, then no other power other than God has a right to intervene in that endeavor. I may fail to ever achieve excellence, but it will not be for a lack of effort.
    "Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"
    Thomas Jefferson

Seen on Bumper Sticker:
    I may be an old dog
    But I can still bury a bone

CRG2- 2016

Do not seek to be like the master, seek what the master sought. That is a pretty close approximation to me.

To have a concept that is so powerful and simple expressed in only four words is shocking.
    Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most.

Gunsite Orange, API -250 Sept. 1978 (Everybody starts somewhere)
    CRG - July 2011, Oct. 2017
    PSP - April 2012
    TMCO - Sept. 2012
    TWOTU since 2011

Glock Certified Armorer

Where'd you find the quote?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    Where'd you find the quote?
    Ender's Game. I've listened to it before (I think it's actually better on audio than the written page, and the author agrees with me) but the quote slipped by me. Today I heard it and stopped the book so I could ruminate on it. Sometimes you hear something so good you wish you'd said it.

This is what it means to me:

Ranks and titles mean nothing to me (either for myself or others). I don't expect students to follow me because I have a title or a bunch of black belts or a position in the company. It's on ME to demonstrate excellence, whether that's in the dojo, on the range, or in the boardroom. The only respect I will receive is what I can earn.

I've met CEOs. Governors, Senators, Judges. I've trained with "Grandmasters". Some were sharp, skilled, demonstrated traits I can respect. Some...not so much. I'm always polite and respectful. And of course I recognize those situations where someone of little worth nonetheless has power or authority over me (99.999% of this is at work). I'm not an idiot after all and as long as dignity and integrity is maintained I do what is necessary. Keeping a job is in my best interest after all. But their titles and positions and ranks don't mean a damn thing to me unless they demonstrate something worth my time and attention.

I put up with authority. But what do I respect? Excellence.

I have never automatically accepted authority. I do not bend my will based on titles, ranks or perceived power. But I will happily walk beside or even follow demonstrated excellence.

Of course, in reality, society requires that we recognize many types of authority. The law, your boss...at minimum you must respect the areas they have greater leverage than you.

But for me, when I lead others it's not based on titles or rank. The only authority I have must be given freely from others. And the only way to receive that is through demonstrating one thing: EXCELLENCE
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Very well articulated. Excellent thread.