Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Aug ?

Just curious what people though of the FS2000 vs the Aug? I think Brent has/had both and I remember Gabe doing some videos with them.

I have one that I got for a good price, so I picked it up. I call it my Obama gun as it was right before he went into office. It is fat, but seems to handle well enough. I have worked on the trigger to clean it up. There is more I can do though. I have the sling for it that Brent and Scott designed. It only can use metal USGI mags. Also it is till long compared to an AR style pistol with a brace. So it has been a safe queen.
    Common sense is not a common virtue!

Quote Originally Posted by RedLeg0811 View Post
    Just curious what people though of the FS2000 vs the Aug? I think Brent has/had both and I remember Gabe doing some videos with them.

I have one that I got for a good price, so I picked it up. I call it my Obama gun as it was right before he went into office. It is fat, but seems to handle well enough. I have worked on the trigger to clean it up. There is more I can do though. I have the sling for it that Brent and Scott designed. It only can use metal USGI mags. Also it is till long compared to an AR style pistol with a brace. So it has been a safe queen.
    I prefer the AUG over all because it is easier to deal with if you have a malfunction. My FS2000 was not terribly reliable out of the box; I had to replace the trigger pack. It was reliable after that, but it did bother me that to fix any malfunctions I had to basically tear it down. Once I replaced the trigger pack it was good to go, though I ended up trading it off during the Great Obama Stamp Purchase.

That said I do miss the FS2000, it's a great gun and useful for certain things.

Bullpups in general are virtually perfect for CQB and close range engagements. You get the benefit of a full length barrel, and nothing is as ambi-friendly as the FS2000. The trigger isn't great but it's manageable and can be used to decent effect even at longer ranges.

The other benefit is the ejection system...in terms of not dropping brass. I always meant to fashion a brass catcher but never got that far with it. I envisioned that this would be a "special operations" kind of gun...use the imagination.

Things that benefit the FS2000:
    *A decent sling set up - you have that covered
    *A better trigger - someone makes a metal clip that covers one of the contact points. That does help a bit
    *The FN foreend and a vertical forward grip. These were expensive when they were available and they are probably hard to come by now. But if you can find one they are good kit. If possible, get a machinist to remove some of the metal; my understanding is that it was designed heavy to accept a grenade launcher...you don't need that much metal for a forward grip. Does the gun NEED this? No, but close quarter handling will certainly benefit.
    *A larger charging handle is helpful. SI used to make them before they were discontinued, but you may be able to find one in the wild. I believe someone else makes one as well.
    *I would fashion a small brass catcher for it. Small enough to not impede handling and just capture a few rounds.
    *I had Yondering shorten the barrel (as I recall it's just over 17") and thread it for a flashhider/suppressor QD. Why FN chose to pin (I think it's pinned) a proprietary flashhider is beyond me.

I never did get to fire it suppressed unfortunately...but with a suppressor, full length barrel, and how it doesn't spit brass everywhere...this gun offers interesting possibilities.

I think the FS is a viable vehicle and quick reaction gun. No, it's not as small as a folding AR pistol, and you can get brass catchers for ARs as well. But there's nothing wrong with options and the FS provides some nice capabilities.

Edited to add - AUG vs FS. The AUG wins the beauty pageant by a mile, it's a sexy beast, both in looks and performance, and still overall the best bullpup available (if it's upgraded with stuff that's now probably impossible to find). It's reliable and I don't think it's going to disappear.

The FS2000 is not going to win any beauty pageants, but it's very functional for what it is, which is beautiful by itself. Comparing a stock AUG and a stock FS...I would choose the FS.

If I still had my FS, it would be relegated to a "special purpose" role, while the AUG would be (is), my first string fighting rifle.
    Last edited by Brent Yamamoto; 01-17-2022 at 12:09 PM.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I prefer the AUG over all because it is easier to deal with if you have a malfunction. My FS2000 was not terribly reliable out of the box; I had to replace the trigger pack. It was reliable after that, but it did bother me that to fix any malfunctions I had to basically tear it down. Once I replaced the trigger pack it was good to go, though I ended up trading it off during the Great Obama Stamp Purchase.

That said I do miss the FS2000, it's a great gun and useful for certain things.

Bullpups in general are virtually perfect for CQB and close range engagements. You get the benefit of a full length barrel, and nothing is as ambi-friendly as the FS2000. The trigger isn't great but it's manageable and can be used to decent effect even at longer ranges.

The other benefit is the ejection system...in terms of not dropping brass. I always meant to fashion a brass catcher but never got that far with it. I envisioned that this would be a "special operations" kind of gun...use the imagination.

Things that benefit the FS2000:
    *A decent sling set up - you have that covered
    *A better trigger - someone makes a metal clip that covers one of the contact points. That does help a bit
    *The FN foreend and a vertical forward grip. These were expensive when they were available and they are probably hard to come by now. But if you can find one they are good kit. If possible, get a machinist to remove some of the metal; my understanding is that it was designed heavy to accept a grenade launcher...you don't need that much metal for a forward grip. Does the gun NEED this? No, but close quarter handling will certainly benefit.
    *A larger charging handle is helpful. SI used to make them before they were discontinued, but you may be able to find one in the wild. I believe someone else makes one as well.
    *I would fashion a small brass catcher for it. Small enough to not impede handling and just capture a few rounds.
    *I had Yondering shorten the barrel (as I recall it's just over 17") and thread it for a flashhider/suppressor QD. Why FN chose to pin (I think it's pinned) a proprietary flashhider is beyond me.

I never did get to fire it suppressed unfortunately...but with a suppressor, full length barrel, and how it doesn't spit brass everywhere...this gun offers interesting possibilities.

I think the FS is a viable vehicle and quick reaction gun. No, it's not as small as a folding AR pistol, and you can get brass catchers for ARs as well. But there's nothing wrong with options and the FS provides some nice capabilities.

Edited to add - AUG vs FS. The AUG wins the beauty pageant by a mile, it's a sexy beast, both in looks and performance, and still overall the best bullpup available (if it's upgraded with stuff that's now probably impossible to find). It's reliable and I don't think it's going to disappear.

The FS2000 is not going to win any beauty pageants, but it's very functional for what it is, which is beautiful by itself. Comparing a stock AUG and a stock FS...I would choose the FS.

If I still had my FS, it would be relegated to a "special purpose" role, while the AUG would be (is), my first string fighting rifle.
    Just to confirm a couple things on the FS2000:

- Yes the flash hider was pinned. For no good reason I know of, unless some jurisdiction somewhere required a particular OAL that is longer than usual. Regardless, removing the pin sucked. I don't remember for sure, I think it was bad enough that we may have just cut it off. It's been too long.

- I did try yours suppressed. Gas in the face big time, not very fun to use that way. It's still another tool in the toolbox when you already have the rifle, but I definitely wouldn't buy one of those (or an AUG) to run suppressed if that was the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Just to confirm a couple things on the FS2000:

- Yes the flash hider was pinned. For no good reason I know of, unless some jurisdiction somewhere required a particular OAL that is longer than usual. Regardless, removing the pin sucked. I don't remember for sure, I think it was bad enough that we may have just cut it off. It's been too long.

- I did try yours suppressed. Gas in the face big time, not very fun to use that way. It's still another tool in the toolbox when you already have the rifle, but I definitely wouldn't buy one of those (or an AUG) to run suppressed if that was the goal.
    Yes. I understand the FS is pretty gassy. Another thing I was going to play with was doing a silicone seal on that toilet bowl. Probably wouldn't have solved it but think it would have helped.

How was the sound suppression on the FS? I understand that AUGs don't suppress well at all but don't know about the FS.

As for the FS pinned flash hider...yeah I figure there's some OAL requirement in Europe because I know it doesn't have to be that long here. But then again gun companies make weird decisions for no apparent good reason all the time. Personally I don't know why you wouldn't want to give your customers choice in something like a flash hider.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Yes. I understand the FS is pretty gassy. Another thing I was going to play with was doing a silicone seal on that toilet bowl. Probably wouldn't have solved it but think it would have helped.

How was the sound suppression on the FS? I understand that AUGs don't suppress well at all but don't know about the FS.

As for the FS pinned flash hider...yeah I figure there's some OAL requirement in Europe because I know it doesn't have to be that long here. But then again gun companies make weird decisions for no apparent good reason all the time. Personally I don't know why you wouldn't want to give your customers choice in something like a flash hider.
    I never suppressed the AUG for comparison, but I'd expect the FS2000 was similar; it was a lot like a suppressed AK (which also don't suppress well for similar reasons, mainly the open gas system that vents directly to atmosphere). It was way louder than a suppressed AR; using my Liberty Mystic X which was one of the quieter suppressors at the time, and reasonably comfortable to shoot with a well tuned AR, the FS was definitely loud, ringing my ears on the first shot pretty bad.

But all of this said...and in combination with Steyr Austria's delusions of Aryan superiority...the Bullpup concept fell by the wayside with the advent of the pistol arm brace. Given that short barreled weapons are used close...inside of 100 yards...with 200 yards being a long shot, the entire ballistics discussion is a non issue.

And before anybody brings out the ballistic tables to argue the point are you willing to stand out at 200 yards and take a hit from my 7.5" AR Pistol? (Incidentally...I have made head shots (hits on those 10" plates we use) at 200 yards, from prone and in class. If not, please sit back down.

So with the long range issue and ballistics issues aside, that cleverly positioned 16" barrel becomes a ho hum raised eyebrow, and nothing more.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I have owned several AUGs, and still have one. All of the Suarez parts, plus a Ratworx trigger bar. 16", 20", and 24"HB. Extra complete NATO stock set with trigger pack, and 35+ Steyr mags. Steyr USA sold a very neat replacement mag release that works well, along with a replacement takedown lock that has a sling swivel socket. I think I'm good.
    Have an AR pistol, too; but I think I would pick up the AUG first.

I will say, as cool as the AUG was, that my several different 12.5" "short-recce" AR15 setups (pistol braced and SBR configs) in 6.5mm and 6mm Grendel chamberings are lighter and smaller than the AUG while being capable of good hits at approximately double the distance (think 800-1,000 yards, rather than 400-500). IMO those are a better modern solution, and the AUG is behind us a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I will say, as cool as the AUG was, that my several different 12.5" "short-recce" AR15 setups (pistol braced and SBR configs) in 6.5mm and 6mm Grendel chamberings are lighter and smaller than the AUG while being capable of good hits at approximately double the distance (think 800-1,000 yards, rather than 400-500). IMO those are a better modern solution, and the AUG is behind us a few years.
    Wow. I didn’t realize you had stretched the range out that far. I’ll go use the search function now, but if you haven’t already done a write-up on this I know we’d all be interested.

I’m generally leery of wildcats and obscure cartridges. That’s admittedly an extreme characterization of the Grendels, but they’re definitely not 5.56 NATO. But literally doubling the effective range makes me wonder if they might be worth it.
    Virtute et Armis

I was looking for an all range solution that was compact as well. I had a PM chat with Yondering a few years ago and went with a grendel. You will not regret it. I am not the rifle shooter I used to be, no time or place to practice, however the one time I had access to a 300 yard range I was ringing the 10" gong easily with a fixed 4x scope after setting the scope up at only 50 yards. I use offset irons with it. I would like to either do a foldable brace or the foldable lower to shorten it up more.

With that said I would buy an AUG if I ran across one because why not?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk