Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Aug ?

At one time I tried to get somthing going with Steyr.

American Steyr was interested but the HQ in Austria think their shit is perfect because it comes out of an Austrian ass. Their rifle then was also perfect without need for any of our stuff.

Check...AUG Program cancelled - SMC Austria.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

If you do a search you will see what we did.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    An AUG, with appropriate upgrades, is still the best bullpup available IMO.
    I have to agree, along with your previous comment on the mags. Great rifles, within the scope of what they were intended for.

IMO the biggest problem with the AUG is price and distribution quantities (which are directly related) - if the AUG were priced in accordance with what it costs to make, it'd be a lot more popular, but that won't happen unless enough were available to cut prices and generate aftermarket support. If the AR were offered in such limited quantities as the AUG, it too would be a $2000-$3000+ rifle.

The AUG was my go-to rifle for several years. I had an identical pair. The extended top rail and brass deflector from SI were, in my opinion, absolutely essential upgrades. A larger charging handle was also a great addition.

For me, the AUG lost its advantage with the introduction of the pistol brace. The benefit of the AUG was a 29” gun that wasn’t an SBR. Today, I can achieve that same compact form with a gun that has universally available parts and a robust aftermarket by choosing an AR with a brace. (Add a folder and it can go even shorter.)

The Sig 556 (folded) and the AUG both fit into the same discrete racquet bag. Both had a full 16” barrel. If you need a 16” barrel for the range it provides (that extra barrel length, compared to a 10.5” gun, will give you another 100+ yards of effective range), then the AUG is a valid choice. The trigger will be sub-par and the safety is kind of funky, but it’s a great gun overall. (The Sig also suffered from a sub-par trigger.)

For me, an 8” .300 with a brace (or a 10.5” 5.56) fits better within my total arsenal. I have common parts and an identical manual-of-arms. When I need a longer barrel and a compact traveling length, I grab a folder. But I still miss the AUG occasionally. It was a really fun gun.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Love the AUG. Never cared for the Tavor (or any IWI weapons for that matter). The AUG tribe in the USA is small and surprisingly enough, too niggardly to support an after market. We made some amazing things for the AUG...and few bought them.
    LOL I almost spit my drink out all over the monitor. A Baltimore politician got in a world of hurt years ago using that word.

Anyway. AUG lover here. Not my go to gun but man it was decades, not years, ahead of everything else. You just cant beat the slick small compactness with the proven platform. Given the discussed apprehension with advancing the platform you will have to adapt to move past obstacles but whatever "thing" that a competitor fixes/fixed they added 3-4 to the problems that you have to deal with using a bullpup. Set up minimalist like most everyone is going now it would be a solid performer.

To me there could be a swing back to them as ARs have gone from this platform that you can all this stuff off on to something streamlined. As far as price point I dont see much issue as anything other than bottom feeders (other pups) is comparable at least in my market. ARs not so much but once you start getting into the DD guns then its more apples to apples.

Plus everyone who is ever around mine is moonstruck and wants to handle it. Thats worth a few sheckles in my book.

Mine uses AUG mags and Im good with that, even with the shortcomings of sourcing mags and issues with compatible mag pouches.

7M3

I have a US Palm AK chest rig, fits the 40 round AUG mags like it was made for them.

Thats a lot of rounds but it carries pretty easily.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

How does one deal with the way that brass would come very close to hitting you in the face if you had to shoot from your left shoulder (and normally shoot right-handed)?

Thanks for all of the very useful information that everyone has offered !

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    How does one deal with the way that brass would come very close to hitting you in the face if you had to shoot from your left shoulder (and normally shoot right-handed)?

Thanks for all of the very useful information that everyone has offered !
    lol, one of our upgrades that we used to make was a deflector. we actually still have one in the shop, dunno if it works on the left hand ejection port though, i'll have to ask gabe about that

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    lol, one of our upgrades that we used to make was a deflector. we actually still have one in the shop, dunno if it works on the left hand ejection port though, i'll have to ask gabe about that

The deflector was part of a kit that necessitated the rail that mounted on top.

Suarez-AUG-Deflector_2.jpg

Oh well
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    The deflector was part of a kit that necessitated the rail that mounted on top.

Suarez-AUG-Deflector_2.jpg

Oh well
    That was a brilliant piece of kit. It improved the AUG greatly. After its introduction, I really expected Steyr to adopt those features into their guns from the factory as an “enhanced” model. Alas, they did not. They are legacy pieces now. If you can find them, they are like gold.
    Virtute et Armis