Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Aug ?

Default Steyr Aug ?

Hi,
    I got a chance to handle an Aug the other day, at my local gunstore. I'm completely ignorant about them but was surprised how well it handled and balanced. (I have shot a Tavor and didn't like it.) Everything I know about the Aug, I learned from the Die Hard movie! ;- )
    What is the general opinion of them??

Thanks, mike

Once upon a time they were sold here.

Along with interesting bits that augmented their usefulness.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

What version? Railed or fixed scope? NATO or original?
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Big fan, just not the support of the AR platform. I got lucky and got some of the great Suarez kit, along with a hybrid trigger pack that utilizes AR parts. Set up with the NATO chassis, it’s a great piece -my opinion. It is a unique manual of arms that needs to be practiced.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    What version? Railed or fixed scope? NATO or original?
    Uhhh... It had a rail and used AR mags and it could be changed from right side eject to left side eject. This one was white...I didn't like that part.

Big fan of the AUG. Though I think it really benefits from aftermarket parts that are difficult to find, if available at all.

I think AUG magazines are the best made mag ever built. Though in the US an AR mag is a wiser way to go.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Love the AUG. Never cared for the Tavor (or any IWI weapons for that matter). The AUG tribe in the USA is small and surprisingly enough, too niggardly to support an after market. We made some amazing things for the AUG...and few bought them.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    Uhhh... It had a rail and used AR mags and it could be changed from right side eject to left side eject. This one was white...I didn't like that part.
    That's the modern NATO version. They're good to go depending on price. The white polymer can be painted or dyed.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

I acquired an AUG out of curiosity because it is mechanically interesting. Further study reveals this rifle is surprisingly modern engineering for a design from the 1970's. The Australian army has made some interesting upgrades we cannot get here. Both Steyr and the after market has left the AUG to stagnate, which is unfortunate. A modern upgrade would be to change the barrel twist rate from 1:9 to 1:7.

When S.I. developed several clever and useful accessories, I added them to my AUG which made shooting from the opposite side without a face full of brass, and extended optics rail and a forward rail that replaces the oem foregrip and provides rail for a light. Also an upgraded charging handle. These accessories make the AUG much more useable.
    Last edited by Popshot; 01-15-2022 at 08:10 PM.
    Lee

You alone are to be feared. Who can stand before you when you are angry? From Heaven you pronounce your Judgement, and the land feared and was quiet when you, O God, rose up to Judge, to save all the afflicted of the land.

Psalm 76:7-9

An AUG, with appropriate upgrades, is still the best bullpup available IMO.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas