Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fitness 2022

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    Damn, LawDog thicc
    Modeling agents would use words like “short” and “round.” But I’m content to have a body type that isn’t prone to back problems. Tall guys break easily.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Modeling agents would use words like “short” and “round.” But I’m content to have a body type that isn’t prone to back problems. Tall guys break easily.
    Sorry it's too late.

I'll forever imagine you with a Niki Minaj-esque form.

Yesterday's workout was a mix of things. Legs and some upper body (trying to train that at every workout because it's where I need the most mass developed).

Squats

- 1x10 @ bar (first warmup)

- 1x10 @ 135

- 1x10 @ 155

- 3x10 @ 205

- 3x10 @ 225 (this was a bit tougher than I anticipated).

I need to go up on the weight a bit earlier to actually make some significant gains, I've decided. So next leg workout will do a warmup at 155, then jump into the 200s for worksets. I can lift more for reps than I was doing, so enough of the slow increase.

Dips and pullups

Did a set of bodyweight dips and pullups after every set of squats. So a total 10 sets, I think, starting out about 7 reps apiece for the first two or three sets, then doing 10 reps per set thereafter.

If the goal is to build your upper body, focus on your back. The arms and chest just have less growth potential. To add mass, add back. For that, pull-ups are king.

A few years ago, I was developing a shoulder problem through overuse. I never completely identified the culprit, but I think it was from doing dips improperly. Be sure to keep your shoulders pressed down. Don’t let your shoulders go up (like a shrug) at the bottom of the dip.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    If the goal is to build your upper body, focus on your back. The arms and chest just have less growth potential. To add mass, add back. For that, pull-ups are king.

A few years ago, I was developing a shoulder problem through overuse. I never completely identified the culprit, but I think it was from doing dips improperly. Be sure to keep your shoulders pressed down. Don’t let your shoulders go up (like a shrug) at the bottom of the dip.
    Good to know, on all points. I do pullups nearly every day, so I'll keep upping the reps. Been improving, too, which is nice to feel. Also noted on doing dips—my shoulders are a little wacky anyway, so I'll pay especial attention to form for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Yesterday's workout was a mix of things. Legs and some upper body (trying to train that at every workout because it's where I need the most mass developed).

Squats

- 1x10 @ bar (first warmup)

- 1x10 @ 135

- 1x10 @ 155

- 3x10 @ 205

- 3x10 @ 225 (this was a bit tougher than I anticipated).

I need to go up on the weight a bit earlier to actually make some significant gains, I've decided. So next leg workout will do a warmup at 155, then jump into the 200s for worksets. I can lift more for reps than I was doing, so enough of the slow increase.

Dips and pullups

Did a set of bodyweight dips and pullups after every set of squats. So a total 10 sets, I think, starting out about 7 reps apiece for the first two or three sets, then doing 10 reps per set thereafter.
    I made great progress on a similar workout to this a few years ago. One giant set of Squats, Dips, Chins/Pulldowns, and Abs. 2 minutes rest between sets and adding weight every time I could. I've been thinking of going back to the program when I'm done running the one I'm currently on.

Quote Originally Posted by prestojo View Post
    I made great progress on a similar workout to this a few years ago. One giant set of Squats, Dips, Chins/Pulldowns, and Abs. 2 minutes rest between sets and adding weight every time I could. I've been thinking of going back to the program when I'm done running the one I'm currently on.
    Good to know; thanks. I think it'll be helpful, at least for the time being.

Today's workout was upper body again. Sets involved rotating through bench press, lateral rowing of sorts (using a cable machine, cable at chest level, crouched back a little, and pulling back using, as much as possible, only the upper back and shoulder muscles), and pullups. Number of sets are, for the most part, very close approximates.

Bench

- 3x10 @ 30 (one set of flyes for 10 at 10 poundsódecided to emphasize bench for simplicity's sake).

- 5/6 x 10 @ 35 (or 40ócan't remember now but think it was 35)

- 2 x 10 @ 35, decline bench (need to add in more of this next time).

Standing Cable Rows

- 3 x 10 @ 30

- 4 x 10 @ 50

- 4 x 10 @ 60

Pullups: 10x10 @ bodyweight

Been tardy on keeping up with workouts. Last week was spotty; got into the gym Friday, doing more pullups, incline and decline bench, and standing rowing (setting a cable pull thingummy around chest height, crouching back just a little to bring it to collarbone height or so, then rowing straight back, arms parallel to the floor, concentrating on directing the rowing force through the muscles of the upper back).

Then the wife and I got the Kung Flu, with me just showing symptoms yesterday. Man the brain fog is real; this will turn into lifting just a couple days a week, and that'll be about it, for a while. Already improving over yesterday, through application of copious amounts of water, D3, Zinc, C, K2, and elderberry syrup, along with ivermectin. Just can't think quickly, and energy levels are low. Thanking God I have zero comorbidities or risk factors, though, and that I'm improving as rapidly as I am. Wife is taking longer, as her health is more fragile than mine for various reasons. Anyway, hopeful to get back in the gym reasonably soon, all things considered. At least, so long as heart inflammation doesn't kick in. But at nearly 27, that seems less likely than if I were 14 or 17.

Also—not sure why, but this thread is in the "Testosterone Club," when I'm certain I started in the "ST. JAMES BARBELL CLUB" forum. Could a mod move it back over there? That explains why I couldn't find it in the right forum.

In college, I went out running hard at about 2 p.m. on a supremely hot day in Georgia. In my mind, I thought I was building mental fortitude. In reality, I was close to a heat stroke. After puking in the bushes, I pulled up straight to resume my run, and standing there in front of me was this salty old sergeant major from the ROTC department. I knew him in a passing way, and recognized him as a bad ass of the first order. He stopped and grinned at me, and said, “Son, it’s easy to be hard, but it’s hard to be smart.”

When you are sick, be sick. If you truly drain yourself in the gym, you are taxing the same system that needs energy to heal you. There is a time to push and a time to rest. If the Rona is as mild for you as it was for me, you can push through it. But listen to your body. If you need rest to heal, then rest.
    Virtute et Armis