Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    236
    I have this reticle on two of my pistols and really like the concept and I think it a valuable reticle. I want to second Yonderling's thoughts. I do like the chevron and the holds it can give. The circle disappears if the chevron is in the center of the window but will show if it is not, which helps in awkward shooting positions and if you are new to red dots on a pistol. It will guide you to where the chevron is. The only downside to the Holosun is the ambient light sensor. It is not as good as the RMR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I have a few and like them. The chevron is definitely an advantage at longer distance because it gives you some holding points, rather than just a dot where you guess how high to hold.
    In 9mm, for the rounds I'm using, the top of the point is zeroed at 25 yd, inside the notch is 50 yd, and bottom of the chevron is 100. Beyond that you're holding in the air so it's about the same as a dot; I'd like to see someone come out with a reticle for one of these that has a few more hold over points for distance.

    I mostly don't use the large outer ring (you can turn it on or off), but it is helpful for awkward shooting positions, especially if the sights aren't visible due to lighting conditions.

    The only disadvantage I've noticed in the Holosun compared to the RMR is that the ambient light sensor (controls dot/chevron brightness) is facing upward. In the RMR it points forward, roughly towards your target; that makes the reticle adjust better to the shooting conditions.
    Don Marbach
    Scottsdale, AZ

    "Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

    Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShack View Post
    The only downside to the Holosun is the ambient light sensor. It is not as good as the RMR.
    I turn off the auto brightness on every red dot that does it. It never works as it should when you're in a dark area shooting to a brighter area.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

    "That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

  3. #13

    Default Holosun ACSS Vulcan reticle

    The chevron is surprisingly clear vs the blob of the RMR. The circle is def helpful for weird positional and prone shooting, but I don’t (currently) find it any faster than the other options.

    One may end up on a rifle where it may be more practical.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I turn off the auto brightness on every red dot that does it. It never works as it should when you're in a dark area shooting to a brighter area.
    I know some people like to do that, and maybe it works for your conditions. For me, and where /how I live, fixed brightness on a carry pistol is a detriment in far more conditions than it helps. I've heard some guys talk about adjusting the brightness all the time, which seems ridiculous to me and likely to be a problem when you need it.
    The auto brightness on the RMR works quite well 99% of the time in my experience; you have co-witnessed irons for that other 1%. The Holosun does not compensate as well, but still works well most of the time. Both brands have the ability to turn off auto brightness if you prefer.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    I know some people like to do that, and maybe it works for your conditions. For me, and where /how I live, fixed brightness on a carry pistol is a detriment in far more conditions than it helps. I've heard some guys talk about adjusting the brightness all the time, which seems ridiculous to me and likely to be a problem when you need it.
    The auto brightness on the RMR works quite well 99% of the time in my experience; you have co-witnessed irons for that other 1%. The Holosun does not compensate as well, but still works well most of the time. Both brands have the ability to turn off auto brightness if you prefer.
    I appreciate your thoughts on this. My biggest concern is being in a dark environment, and then deploying a WML which tends to wash out the dot, even on auto brightness. My solution has been to have the dot bright enough to be easily seen, at the cost of being a bit too bright when the WML is off.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

    "That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NW Washington
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I appreciate your thoughts on this. My biggest concern is being in a dark environment, and then deploying a WML which tends to wash out the dot, even on auto brightness. My solution has been to have the dot bright enough to be easily seen, at the cost of being a bit too bright when the WML is off.
    "A bit too bright" in reality is "way too bright to see through the optic" in more conditions than you're helping though, for most people. It's throwing out a huge portion of utility to save a little bit. IMO, if your WML washes out the dot in a few situations, use the irons. Maybe if you only/always use a bright light, and never shoot without it, fixed brightness is probably a good solution. Try using that setup in near dark without a light though.

    I've talked to a number of people in the past who do this, and it seems the idea of preferring fixed brightness comes from certain police and military assault teams. That's a proactive situation where you can set your gear for known conditions. A carry pistol is (mostly) a reactive tool though for unknown conditions. My rifles all have fixed brightness optics, but I want auto adjustment for my carry pistol.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    "A bit too bright" in reality is "way too bright to see through the optic" in more conditions than you're helping though, for most people. It's throwing out a huge portion of utility to save a little bit. IMO, if your WML washes out the dot in a few situations, use the irons. Maybe if you only/always use a bright light, and never shoot without it, fixed brightness is probably a good solution. Try using that setup in near dark without a light though.

    I've talked to a number of people in the past who do this, and it seems the idea of preferring fixed brightness comes from certain police and military assault teams. That's a proactive situation where you can set your gear for known conditions. A carry pistol is (mostly) a reactive tool though for unknown conditions. My rifles all have fixed brightness optics, but I want auto adjustment for my carry pistol.
    Here's an interesting development:

    Screenshot 2022-01-15 07.35.59.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-15 07.37.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-15 07.37.20.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-15 07.40.43.png
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." — Augustine

    "That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." — Martin Luther

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •