Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Going to practice this stuff and show it to my dad, next I see him. Man there are all sorts of things in the forms that I haven't learned, but once shown, it makes total sense. Going to keep looking for other things in forms and keep a weather eye peeled for off-base reverse-engineering, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Going to practice this stuff and show it to my dad, next I see him. Man there are all sorts of things in the forms that I haven't learned, but once shown, it makes total sense. Going to keep looking for other things in forms and keep a weather eye peeled for off-base reverse-engineering, too.
    And remember that this just scratches the surface. I could do a whole class on the different options just from that "double block" movement. It's one of the most useful things from the whole series; it's like the Leatherman of Karate moves, it will work on just about everything.

I think I'm repeating myself but... There must always be a good reason for pulling the hand back to the hip. In other words either you have something in your grip, or the pulling motion is being used as a block or cover. If there's nothing in your hand, the support hand should be in a protective guard position. There are a lot of bad habits that competition (specifically, traditional karate competition) creates, but pulling the hand to the hip for no bloody good reason may be the worst.

Related to that, both hands should always have a job. Meaning they are DOING something. Even if the hands are just on guard, they should be doing something. A hand sitting dead on the hip is useless. No dead hands, ever.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

I'm trying to be better about filming this stuff.

You guys that know the Pinans, if you have questions, share them here and I'll see what I can do.

Those of you who don't know them, maybe you have questions about specific h2h problems. Share them here and I'll see if I can relate them to these kata.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    I'm trying to be better about filming this stuff.

You guys that know the Pinans, if you have questions, share them here and I'll see what I can do.

Those of you who don't know them, maybe you have questions about specific h2h problems. Share them here and I'll see if I can relate them to these kata.
    I'd love that. I'm working (slowly) on relearning the Pinans, rather than Pyung-Ahns, so I'll be back around with questions, relatively soon.

Hmmmm

I wonder if a class series titled Applied Karate might be in the future
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Hmmmm

I wonder if a class series titled Applied Karate might be in the future
    I sure as hell hope so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor
    Texas LTC Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

I choose to live a peaceful life. It's not hard to change my mind.