Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Here is my 2 cents worth and you get it for free

Best way to learn is to find a hunter who is willing to take you under their wing. I know there are some older folks around here (yeah me) that would do it for the right person. They know your local and all.

Also think about pest control. Groundhogs, coyotes, etc. Mostly can be hunted year round and you will sharpen your skills as you go. Don't underestimate the rabbits and squirrels and other smaller game. It all takes the same skills.
    Definitely picking up on the "find a mentor" theme, which I'll certainly try to do. Problem is I don't know many hunters, so I'll have to go knocking on what doors I can think of. Reminds me, a classmate's husband is an avid hunter; I'll have to ping him about it.

Time to go find some wily rabbits and squirrels to whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Time to go find some wily wabbits and squiwels to whack.
    Fixed it for you. Just be vewy, vewy quiet.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Definitely picking up on the "find a mentor" theme, which I'll certainly try to do. Problem is I don't know many hunters, so I'll have to go knocking on what doors I can think of. Reminds me, a classmate's husband is an avid hunter; I'll have to ping him about it.

go to your LGS and start askin. bound to be an old guy or someone with a buddy

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Yep. I met the guy that let me hunt on his property my first year in TN at the local gun store.

I'd also recommend joining a Facebook group for your local hunting community and asking around there.

People are often hesitant to share hunting spots, but I actually found a lot willing to share and teach.

I met one guy that took me rabbit hunting with dogs and has invited me to duck hunt (haven't had the time) and deer hunt as well.

Contact your local Fish and Game folks. Don't know about your region, but our people are enthusiastic and resourceful. They had a network of hunting groups, clubs and committees that will hook up hunters of all ages, types and ranges of experience.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Fixed it for you. Just be vewy, vewy quiet.
    Ha! That means I'll have to go alone, as most people I know are fairly chatty.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Thermal, night vision and a suppressor. Get them and learn how to use them by doing it. You will learn.
    What are your recommendations on brands, particular equipment to get, etc.? I know next to nothing about any of those equipment components, although I wouldn't mind getting a suppressor at minimum (preferably one reasonably useful on multiple calibers).

Huntindoc, I'll take note of your suggestion to get a good bow, for stalking purposes. That actually kinda sounds like fun, to go after something pretty well as silently as possible to use a quiet weapon. Suggestions on quality beginner bows that don't break the bank?
    There are lots of good bows out their these days. Short, lightweight with good extras included. Here is just one: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/blac...nd-bow-package

Keep an eye out for last year’s model closeouts as well. Go buy your local archery shop as well. Frequently you can try before you buy.

[QUOTE=Huntindoc;

Keep an eye out for last year’s model closeouts as well. Go buy your local archery shop as well. Frequently you can try before you buy.[/QUOTE]

Also don't over look a used bow. Some folks are always trading up to the newest and grooviest shiniest things that come along; leaving some good used ones on the market. Can get a good deal on one and see if it is for you. Also think about crossbow, a lot of places they are legal to use and easier to learn how to.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

What are your recommendations on brands, particular equipment to get, etc.? I know next to nothing about any of those equipment components, although I wouldn't mind getting a suppressor at minimum (preferably one reasonably useful on multiple calibers).
    PM Sent.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson