Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hunting Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir2 View Post
    Very good point about getting to take a walk while also pegging some game. I'll take that under advisement.

On a related note, I tried this afternoon to do a little squirrel stalking in woods on my school campus. Didn't see much of anything, but I realized I was making a ton of racket (relatively speaking) and didn't get very far into the trees. Also, spotting little gray tree rats in mediocre light is difficult. So is walking comfortably after stepping in a creek. All in all, a successful first venture, for looking at the woods and walking through them through new eyes.
    An old man once told me that when looking for squirrels in trees, pretend you are painting the branches with a small paint brush and carefully outlining each branch. Spend 10 times more time "painting" than moving. Do NOT look for a whole squirrel. Look for a small head, a tail, a little movement. (Same for just about any game animal)
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    An old man once told me that when looking for squirrels in trees, pretend you are painting the branches with a small paint brush and carefully outlining each branch. Spend 10 times more time "painting" than moving. Do NOT look for a whole squirrel. Look for a small head, a tail, a little movement. (Same for just about any game animal)
    Or a man.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Hm, I like that mental image. I'll try that, next stalking trip. I saw tons of squirrel nests around there, so I'm sure I was looking right past plenty of squirrels.

Big fan of shotgun for squirrels. Grew up w/ a J Stevens 20ga Single Gun (single shot) w/ full choke bbl. F'ing think like to beat the shit out my skinny, little ass. We preferred 4's, but 6's would do in a pinch. Dad told me to "...just hold on the end of his nose and squeeze" for a clean kill- it would normally equate to 4-6 pellets in the head/neck. The other thing the shotty offered was the ability to hit a running squirrel if that was the only shot you had.

If a squirrel knows you're there, he will either stay on the opposite side of the tree (most common) or flatten out on a branch. In either case, patience, silence and stillness are the keys, as they'll eventually believe the danger has passed and show themselves again. Ragsbo's advice on limb-surveilling is golden.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Grand daddy taught me that if the squirrel was hiding on the far side of the tree trunk, just take my hat and throw it like a Frisbee past the tree. The squirrel will scramble away from the motion to your side of the tree. Be ready and pop them when they come around.

Quote Originally Posted by Togar View Post
    Grand daddy taught me that if the squirrel was hiding on the far side of the tree trunk, just take my hat and throw it like a Frisbee past the tree. The squirrel will scramble away from the motion to your side of the tree. Be ready and pop them when they come around.

I used to do the same w/ a rat terrier or a hunting buddy for squirrels. A rat terrier moving around the base of the tree and yipping at the squirrels captured ALL of their attention, lol. But I doubt I'd resort to such tactics against a skilled adversary in the woods unless I had no other option.
    Waitin' for a squeeze...

TWOTU Since March 2012

DPS
    CRG
    AR15/M4 RGF
    HRO-6 CQB
    HRO-7 Team Tactics
    HITS-8 Knife

Just sit at the base of a tree, knock on the gun stock a few times and wait. Squirrels are very curious, they'll come out to see what it was. I've use that method many times. The ole reliable is stated above, not to look for a whole squirrel, look for an odd shape on the branch, that will be them peaking over

If staking rabbits, again do not look for a rabbit, but apart. With practice you will be surprised how much their eye stands out
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!