Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ON FREQUENCY

Default ON FREQUENCY

FREQUENCY ARTICLE

"Overall, there is no significant or meaningful difference between various training frequencies (with a few exceptions, like high volume bro-splits). This means you can use a training frequency that fits your preferences and schedule, without significantly hampering your gains. It is likely best to use frequency as a tool to manipulate weekly volume, allowing you to perform more high quality hard sets. For example, let's say your arms get trained once per week for 10 sets. If you want to increase your weekly arm volume from 10 sets to 20, it would make more sense to add a few training sessions of 5 sets each during the week, rather than add another 10 sets onto the same session."
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

No news here; 2 x week is fantastic. A standard upper/lower split works great. M/Tu, Thu/Fr. If not quite as frequent a gym session can be maintained, a m/w/f deal with an alternating upper/lower split is much better than an Arm day bro split. This hits each muscle about once every 4 to 5 days. Keeps life simple in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    No news here; 2 x week is fantastic. A standard upper/lower split works great. M/Tu, Thu/Fr. If not quite as frequent a gym session can be maintained, a m/w/f deal with an alternating upper/lower split is much better than an Arm day bro split. This hits each muscle about once every 4 to 5 days. Keeps life simple in between.

I have found that the colder it gets...or the heavier I go...the more recovery time I need. So a hard deadlift session twice a week? Hell no...maybe twice a month. I seem to be doing well on a push - pull - legs split taking rest days as life dictates. One week I may hit each workout only once...like a MWF...but other weeks maybe MTW-rest Thrs-FSS.
    Gabriel Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I have found that the colder it gets...or the heavier I go...the more recovery time I need. So a hard deadlift session twice a week? Hell no...maybe twice a month. I seem to be doing well on a push - pull - legs split taking rest days as life dictates. One week I may hit each workout only once...like a MWF...but other weeks maybe MTW-rest Thrs-FSS.
    Same way, listen to your body....
    Nothing says Fuck You like a shotgun.....

Coach Thib from T Nation is all about frequency. I struggle as an overdoer on hitting quality often but not overdoing it to where my joints scream. Ideally he has you hitting whole body multiple times per week

Thats the great part about having a home gym. You can customize your routine on the day to day.

Yeah the heavier the deadlidt gets, the less frequency is tolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post
    Thats the great part about having a home gym.
    My brain immediately went to how different programming is with a home gym. If you are busy with work, family, and life--and trying to make time to drive to the gym in order to work out--it effects what program will work for you. Everybody should begin with a linear progression, but once you plateau there are competing methods to keep growing. Several years ago, I tried the Texas Method, and found that I missed too many workouts to use it effectively. Life just got in the way. While a whole-body workout may not have provided the ideal model for me, it worked well for my sporadic schedule. If I missed a day, I just picked up it up the next day without having to rethink the whole program. Now that I have a home gym, I may give the Texas Method a try again.

As you age, either frequency or volume (or both) will have to give some ground. You can go heavy, but you can't go heavy all the time. In my late 40s and unjuiced, I don't do max deadlifts more than once per week. Pretty much everything else just requires one good rest day. If I torture myself with squats, sometimes I need two days. (Or I'm just a slacker and use it as justification.) At some point, I'll make the plunge into TRT. With that boost in recovery, I'll have to reevaluate my programming and I may be able to increase the volume and frequency on some lifts.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    As you age, either frequency or volume (or both) will have to give some ground. You can go heavy, but you can't go heavy all the time. In my late 40s and unjuiced, I don't do max deadlifts more than once per week. Pretty much everything else just requires one good rest day. If I torture myself with squats, sometimes I need two days. (Or I'm just a slacker and use it as justification.) At some point, I'll make the plunge into TRT. With that boost in recovery, I'll have to reevaluate my programming and I may be able to increase the volume and frequency on some lifts.
    I know that in my early years I was a strength junkie. I was into the big three to augment the "Strongest Karate" I was doing. But my joints took a beating. Now...I am already strong so I don't worry about pushing those limits too much. Once in a while I do. For example...last week I had a free day and felt good. I did ten 50 yard farmer carries with 225 pounds. It was a challenge but I did it even though I hadn't done that for a few months. Regardless today I am lifting more for Hypertrophy. I want to hit mid seventh decade with as much muscle mass and as little bodyfat as possible...which will give me a head start at winning the "Lifefight".
    Gabriel Suarez

Last week I had a free day and felt good. I did ten 50 yard farmer carries with 225 pounds.
    225 in one hand? Like a suitcase carry? That's freakish. I've never even attempted more than 135 for that. Good on you.
    Virtute et Armis

I do a four day on one off at the gym. 90 minutes lifting all I can. Five sets and reps until I can't go another. I can't say I'm strong, but I'm old. Today is cardio, tomorrow off. Thursday is my birthday (71) and I will be back on chest and arms.
    NRA and TSRA member