Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    If I'm in a place where that's an option there's a LOT of better things to grab.

I'd rather beat someone with an office quality keyboard (or better yet one of those old IBM keyboards) than a stapler.

I just don't see it surviving more than a hit or two, and cutting/beating up my hands as it goes.
    1s and 2s brother with that stapler. You would be amazed.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRidder View Post
    I moved here from a shit hole country. The first thing that amazed me was on the bus people stayed behind that yellow line while the bus was in motion.
    Years ago there was this bloke who died because he had to climb a microwave tower every so often, and when up there working would take a break in front of the dish to warm up. Didn't really care about the rule that said not to. Also didn't understand how microwaves worked.

A lot of the reasons that shithole countries (and I don't know where you're from so I won't speak to the specific case) are shitholes is because people won't obey stupid little rules that *actually make sense*. Things like USE YOUR FUCKING TURN SIGNAL before swinging into the other lane. I mean, look at those Russian dashcam videos. Every one of those fucking things is "Fuck you I do what I want to I >>WHAM<<"

Now, it's been a decade or more since I've been on a public bus, but from memory that yellow line was positioned so that if the driver had to swerve the bus, a standing rider *wouldn't fall into him OR the door*. The door that opens *out*. That rule wasn't just to keep the bus driver's area clear, it was to keep the bus and every one on it safe.

Or a rule about being on top of a commuter train in India (NSFAD https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n5d7w)

So standing behind the yellow line isn't obeying some random stupid rule, it actually makes sense.

The problem is that too many of our fellow citizens don't understand Chesterton's Fence, and don't get that just because they don't understand why the rule is there doesn't mean the rule is pointless.

Rules exist for a reason. Sometimes that reason is that the rule makers are venial stupid, self interested or tyrannical.

But not nearly as much as one thinks when one is a high school sophomore.

That said, there are pointless or illegal rules. I carried a pistol (everywhere but the military base, because there's risks, and there's risks) for the last 6 or 7 years I lived in California, because I knew why the law was there, and IDGAF.

I use my turn signals almost all the time--and the heavier the traffic the more likely I use them.

Understand the why of the rule before breaking it. Or you'll be that poor bastard who got high as and went wandering around on the roof of the train.

If I'm in a place where that's an option there's a LOT of better things to grab.

I'd rather beat someone with an office quality keyboard (or better yet one of those old IBM keyboards) than a stapler.

I just don't see it surviving more than a hit or two, and cutting/beating up my hands as it goes.
    Yeah but everything else isn't as funny when you want to make an Office Space reference lol.

Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Understand the why of the rule before breaking it. Or you'll be that poor bastard who got high as and went wandering around on the roof of the train.
    And then be willing to put aside your ego.

I kissed my bosses ass for about a week once before giving him a flat tire. Punctured that bitch.

Another thing Americans dont like to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Taylor View Post

I kissed my bosses ass for about a week once before giving him a flat tire. Punctured that bitch.

First thing is to become so good at your job that they can find someone to fill the slot, but they can't find anyone to replace you.

Then make them try.

What a pity they don't make those old Bell System rotary dial phones any more. Man, you could have beaten a grizzly bear to death with one of those things.

LOL...dont tell the Cyclops your name.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    LOL...dont tell the Cyclops your name.
    Absolutely! But I do like the manís way of thinking.
    Psalm 139:21,22
    Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

The truth is hatred to those who hate truth.

Quote Originally Posted by res308 View Post
    Absolutely! But I do like the man’s way of thinking.
    When your enemy is running around screaming about something that happened to him...and you know it was you...there is a secret pleasure to it that only the cutthroat/backstabber culture understands. And while John Wayne would never do a Sentry Removal deal on screen...the movies are not real life. As we used to say..."The Deed Is Its Own Reward"
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

To which I'll add: if you're not practicing now, what makes you think you'll be magically proficient at need?

If you find yourself stopped at a red at 0300 on a deserted street, it's time to rethink things.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle