Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    Understand the why of the rule before breaking it.
    You need to learn the rules first, then you figure out when and how to break them. The point of the post, though, is simply that you have to develop the mental flexibility to even consider breaking the rules. Surprisingly few people will even consider the option. Some people, when driving their bleeding child to the emergency room, would loop around an extra nine city blocks rather than drive the wrong way up one visibly empty one-way street. In general, you shouldn't drive the wrong way on a one-way street. But there are times when it's appropriate.

I love my wife, and sometimes I'm baffled at how we ever got together. She's a total hall monitor and I'm a happy criminal. Sometimes her reluctance keeps me out of trouble and sometimes it's just a drag. The look in her eyes when I occasionally propose a major rule-breaking could be described as 'terror.' She would never consider walking through the 'Employees Only' door. She thinks there is something immoral about lying to a Customs agent. She was mortified when I used a single-use coupon over and over again at REI. (Screw those hippies.)

Most rules at least made sense when they were first created. But the point is to think like a criminal.

If you want an interesting book on a somewhat related note, I'd give five stars to 'A Burglar's Guide to the City' by Geoff Manaugh. It's a book about architecture from a criminal's perspective. It is not at all a how-to. It is somewhat wandering and philosophical, and well written.
    Virtute et Armis

Experience as a skilled poacher doesn't necessarily make the best gamekeeper.

But it sure helps.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Experience as a skilled poacher doesn't necessarily make the best gamekeeper.

But it sure helps.

It is IMHO, the best training for a beginning sniper
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Not only do you learn to hunt you learn how to not get caught doing it. Growing up we did it for food. Necessity is the mother of all learning.
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Not only do you learn to hunt you learn how to not get caught doing it. Growing up we did it for food. Necessity is the mother of all learning.
    When it comes to 'snipers', too many people think that the shooting is the important part. That is not so, it is the field skills that are so important, for without those 'field skills', the shooter cannot find the right spot to conduct the activity or survive the action by stealthy departure. Most anyone can be trained to shoot straight, not everyone can learn the very many skills of the sniper that have nothing to do with pulling the trigger (navigation, observation, concealment, stealthy movement, concealment of 'sign', etc., the list is very long).

I did not mean to run down a rabbit hole thread drift, there are 'rules' for everything, most not made through legislative actions.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...,1908921&hl=en
    Last edited by KarlinPhoenix; 11-30-2021 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added 'School for Snipers' link
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

And the gent doing the deed on downtown metropolis is using different tactics and even weapons than Carlos Hathcock did. See Fry The Brain.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

And the gent doing the deed on downtown metropolis is using different tactics and even weapons than Carlos Hathcock did. See Fry The Brain.
    Fully agree.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Need two additional sequels; how to prepare for the meal and how to leave the dinner party eloquently...
    I was born for a storm, and a calm does not suit me. - Andrew Jackson

Or cop.
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I rode the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer (as modified)

"What cannot be remedied must be endured."

Vale et omnia quae.

P:20

Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Need two additional sequels; how to prepare for the meal and how to leave the dinner party eloquently...
    There is, both in the store...