Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Barbell Jack

I recently discovered a nifty invention that greatly simplifies changing the plates for a deadlift. I had been using a "Dead Wedge," which is a little piece of rubber upon which you roll up one plate to suspend it in the air. It worked fine, and was much smaller--a benefit if you are tossing it in a gym bag. But I workout at home, and don't need to schlep my gear around. Scrolling through woodworking projects on Pinterest, I saw this contraption that hooked around the bar, just inside the collar, and levered all of the plates off the ground. The one that I saw was an off-cut from a 2x8, and the handle was a piece of galvanized pipe. My snobby lawyer brain immediately thought, "That sure would be cooler in walnut."

I wandered out to the woodshop and looked around for some suitable scraps. I found a few pieces that were approximately the right size and pulled them aside. I looked through my forstner bits and found a 1 1/8", which is just about the same diameter as my 28.5mm barbell. I bored the holes at a level that so that the bottom would be about a half-inch above the space between the bar and the floor, lifting the bar just that much.

After making a few, I found that they gain a lot of stability if they are >5" wide, and 6" is even better. I used boards that are 3/4" thick and 1" thick. The thicker boards do provide a bit more stability. Eventually I'll try a few 1 1/4" thick boards. You need about 16" of length, but that's the least important measurement.

This one is white oak:
    IMG-4205.jpg

You just hook it on the bar and wrench it up.
    IMG-4204.jpg

Once in place, you can more easily put plates on or pull them off.
    IMG-4203.jpg

As a bonus, it makes a pretty good weapon in its own right.

If you are a woodworker looking for a project that is more masculine than cutting boards or epoxy "river" tables, maybe this is the next thing. It's a really simple project; doesn't require any joinery; and still works even if you burn your cuts otherwise do a hack job. What is needed is that you put in the effort sanding it and use a decent finish. For this one, I just went with a simple tung oil (which is easy, but takes forever to dry).

If someone here is interested in these but doesn't have the skills/tools to make one, I could be convinced to make more. I would only produce them as time and scrap wood allow, though, so you would need to be patient. It would cost you $50, and each one would be unique. I suspect most of you are up to the task. You just need to find a board and get to cutting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Virtute et Armis

That looks good! I work out in a bunch of different gyms, and use a Dead Wedge or just a 2.5 lb plate to roll the inside plate up onto, so I've never gotten around to buying or making a jack, but I still might make a project out of one anyway.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quite a nifty idea. Thanks for posting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hey.. Why not join the Army? It's free!!

The one you sent - many thanks by the way...is being put to good use.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Mine is likewise being put to good use. Mine has some very appropriate scroll work on it. I would take a picture but am on the road right now.

And yes. It makes a handy little weapon by itself.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Instagram: karate_at_1200fps

Upcoming classes:

Pistol Groundfighting, Texas

This is a very cool and useful thing. Thank you LawDog, for this handy idea.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

Looks like a South Pacific war club..... Probably function as one, as well.
    "When one goes willingly into the darkness, all he will find there, is what he brought in with him".

--Gabe Suarez, after the 7-11 shootout

Proper development of the 'Warrior Spirit', training and physical conditioning before 'The Event' cannot be overstated.

U.S. Army Rangers (1/75 'Old Scroll')
    CRG; 0-5 Feet CRG; PSP Pistol; FOF Instructor School; Combat Pistol Instructor School

Very cool idea.

Looks more efficient than lowering Jhooks on a cage and walking the barbell out. And I have scrap wood...

I second the idea of shark teeth and walnut lol

Swap your tung oil for this:
    https://www.odiesoil.com/

Foodsafe, works amazing.
    GFT.

Try to replace hardware with technique. Technique is free, lightweight, and cannot be lost.
    RGF- Greg Nichols-Milton, WI